Register now to get rid of these ads!

Things you learn in life...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by johnybsic, Oct 11, 2011.

1. johnybsic

johnybsic
    from las vegas

You know those moments where you figure something out...And you just say "WTF, you idiot. Shoulda figured that out sooner...
    BUT it becomes a cool little trick to keep in your book (So you can make others look less "In the know" than you. :D

Spent the weekend runnin brake hardlines. Came time to do a few loops near the mastercyl, I strugled with my tube bender for an hour trying to make a few loops...That weren't screwed up.

Long story short. I grabbed a smaller aerosol can, and simply wrapped the tube around it around a few times Wolla'!:eek:

Im sure some of you guys used this method. (Seems stupid to do it any other way now)
    But just thought i'd share my "Well g*ddam, im an idiot" moment.
    My buddy wants me to do lines on his car next week...Watch me whip this one out :D

Did a Damn fine job. IMO
    [​IMG][/IMG]

2. 32Gnu

32Gnu

Looks good... Simple ways are better than the hightech any day in my book..

3. JEM

JEM

When you need to conform a tube to some contour like a footwell in the floorpan, cut a piece of old radiator hose or rubber mat, then put it between the tube and the pan as you bend the tube over the feature. Adds about the right amount to the tube-bend radius, and lets you over-bend slightly where the tube hangs past the rubber.

4. treb11

treb11
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

yer nylock nut will fall off cuz the bolt/stud is too short

5. Von Richthofen

Von Richthofen

Six X wife,s man i know how to pick a lil more carefull :rolleyes:

6. johnybsic

johnybsic
    from las vegas

Yea, I still needed to bleed the M/C, So i just slipped that stud in to hold it and get the lines in the right place. Its proper now, Almost forgot however ;)

Damnnn Six ex's??? Pheww, I ain't on one yet! I'll take note from others mistakes as well haha :D

7. Dino

Dino

Did you have any trouble bleeding it? I do the coils horizontally, not vertically, so that they can't trap air.

8. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

Ah man! why'd you have to go and start thinking about stuff like that? Now all of us who went out in the shop and stole his idea are worried about it working out.:confused: Oh well.....more tube bending practice for everyone.:D

9. KRB52

KRB52
    from Conneticut

Simple is always good. I'll have to keep this one in mind if I ever have to bend tube again.

10. johnybsic

johnybsic
    from las vegas

Ummmmmmmmmmmmmmm SH*T I dunno, Was gonna bleed it today after work...
    I never really thought of that, Just figured it'd "Push" the bubbles out...Hmmmmm Well, I'll try it. If anything i can just tweak the coils sideways without too much trouble.

...Yea, Can trick still works, But maybe they gotta be horizontal:eek:

THE THINGS YOU LEARN IN LIFE !!! Gahhh

11. johnybsic

johnybsic
    from las vegas

Well.
    I looked around and seen it both ways.

but DAMN YOU DINO!!! i'm doubting myself now haha:D

12. bcook07

bcook07
    from Illinois

I personally am glad to see people putting in the coils at all. When i worked at an O'Reillys people used to bring in that section of line to replace and measure straight from one end to another and then tell me they didn't need to do coils because it was just extra work that was not needed.

Surprising how many vehicles should not be on the road.

13. trailer-Ed

trailer-Ed
    from JC, MO

Please explain to me why the coils are needed? i've built many cars without. Just wondering?

14. Relic Stew

Relic Stew
    from Wisconsin

It allows some movement between body and frame without stressing the line.

15. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

Actually, it's because they need some wiggle room on the assembly line when they bring all of the parts together. Vertical loops shouldn't bother. Brake lines are small enough that the air will push through.

16. trailer-Ed

trailer-Ed
    from JC, MO

Most of my M/C s are frame mounted so no loops would be fine in that situation correct? I can see firewall mounted needing loops. but wasn't quite so sure if they would on a chassis mount system.

17. S.F.

S.F.

you could have cut it down and made a straight piece too...personally I think it looks cleaner+ the only reason they had the loops was because of assembly at the plant, made it easier when the body came down on the frame...

18. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

The straight lines look cleaner, but the coils look professional. That's why mine have coils!
    And yes, they allow for some vibration tolerance.

19. Three vertical loops... Have fun bleeding 'em. :rolleyes:

20. The coils are not needed in that app. Plus they look amaturish to my eye.

21. trailer-Ed

trailer-Ed
    from JC, MO

I agree Tman, looks to me like someone had too much line and did not have the proper tools etc to cut and re-flare the line. Just my opinion.

22. niceguyede

niceguyede
    from dallas

I'm with yall. I have never looped brake lines and have never had a problem.

23. johnybsic

johnybsic
    from las vegas

Yup, I thought about that when someone brought it up. You'd think that (Obviously) air rises.
    However I found that wasn't the case with this.
    Due to my own self doubt, I did a practical test.
    Soo, I took some 3/16 Clear tubing from my r/c planes and coiled it in the same manner, Filled it with brake fluid and introduced some air bubbles.
    The bubbles didn't budge with a closed system, no matter how long i left um (The same effect as bleeders closed)
    With the system (Or clear tube :rolleyes:) open or not capped they would, with The flow of fluid. Obviously, You would only open the bleeders when pressure is applied at the master cyl, and the bleed tube immersed in fluid.
    Which simply pushes the bubbles out easy-peezy

I think that small size (volume) of the tube, and the viscosity of the brake fluid keeps bubbles from rising like I thought they would.

I know theres more than one way of doing things, Most are right in there own respect...
    BUT I see this done at the factory, the brake manufacture recomends it, there is more flex durring pressure/ depressure then you'd think while driving.
    We even factor this into aircraft lines where applicable.
    To me, it just makes sense (There IS movement between the frame and body) which the tube would have to deal with. Are you gonna die from runnin straight lines? No, prob not.

But I like it, Looks cleaner, more professional *IMO etc. If you mess with/tweak steel lines a bit, You realize they aint hard to crack.
    Thats my school of thunking

Anyways.
    The can trick works like a BEAUTY, and is a good way to make loops...And the system bleed like a beauty:D
    Its a simple trick, And i got a kick outta it...Im a simple person haha

Not trying to start a debate on this, But figured i'd let my reason stand.:)

Thanks guys

24. johnybsic

johnybsic
    from las vegas

You guys sayin my loops look amuture? Mannnn, I thought i did a really good job!:(
    Hey, thats the beauty of hotrodding. every car is different
    its Funny. cause to me when i see straight lines i always think someone didn't buy enough tube, took a shortcut or couldn't get a good lookin loop in there :p

25. rcr81

rcr81

Looks pretty good to me, I'm gonna be do'n a brake system soon so I'm takin notes...

26. sirhc

sirhc
    from Boise, ID

No direct opinion to this topic, but I will admit - I learn life lessons everytime I work on my hot rod. "Do things right the first time." "Pay me now or pay me later." I hear voices - seriously.

27. I think it looks good. Did the same trick with gauge lines on the sub back when I was in the navy. Didn't have a lot of tools on the boat to work with so you got a bit creative

28. Johnny, the air will move out of a loop IF you have enough fluid flow. If you are bleeding by pedal, you may not move the air far enough to get to the top of the next loop. If not, when you release the pedal the air bubble slides back up to the top of the loop. Seen it happen.

I think the loops look fine in a resto application, and they do reduce the tendency of the line to crack...but I'd only put them in if I wanted it to look original.

29. Model A John

Model A John
    from wichita ks

I've done the vertical coil loops with no problems. If you gravity bleed the brakes, the air will pass through the lines and out of the bleeders. It did for me, anyway!

30. looks good to me.