Register now to get rid of these ads!

400 in 55 pontiac chieftain

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by taylortrash, Oct 27, 2011.

1. taylortrash

taylortrash
    from kalamazoo

iI know I have seen some threads on newer engines in the 55's and due to the fact that i have no internet at my place it makes it hard for me find the right info...i have a 400 motor and a 55 chieftain...what do i need to do? any links for threads or any info would be very helpful! I wish i had the time to search and find them on my own. but it seems like i am getting no where fast!

Thanks!

2. flypa38

flypa38

If no one replies here, join the pontiac1950's group on yahoo.......those guys can help!

3. sololobo

sololobo

That would be a super nice mill for the 55. You should not have big problems getting this in the tin indian. Good Luck! ~sololobo~

4. THE CHIEF

THE CHIEF
    from MIAMI

5. The problem on the tri-5 Pontiacs is there's not a ton of clearance on the left side because of the steering box and to some extent the master cylinder. This is one car that someone doing a clip on doesn't bother me that much, because it resolves so many problems, from the king pins to the steering box to the motor mounts. But it's not a requirement. I would, however, suggest re-engineering the heater to move the defroster off the left firewall and put a hanging pedal in it. You'll have to use a universal mount or fab something. And you're going to need a late transmission to go with the motor, there are ways to get an original to work but it's not going to be worth the effort.

6. 55chieftain

55chieftain

The easiest way is to fabricate some side mounts once you get the engine in where you want including exhaust manifolds that clear the steering gearbox. If there the 3 bolt flange manifolds there is a little less room, but a rear exhaust will work on the driver side if you move the engine up higher and off to the passenger side.

I had mine this way at first but have since went to a hurst front mount. If willing you could put a 60 cover on after some modifications and use the original style front bracket and mount than still build some side trans mounts like the factory 3 point mounting.

here's a link for the side mounts, my 389 how it was mounted in, and the adapter I made for the drivers side to move the mounting point forward to help clear the steering gearbox

http://starchief57.tripod.com/techtips.htm#late

Attached Files:

7. taylortrash

taylortrash
    from kalamazoo

400 Pontiac. Thanks guys! lots of helpful info.

8. PonchoJohn

PonchoJohn
    from Fresno, Ca

Another way I've seen is to do a front plate that bolts to the accessory holes in the head and to the frame rails. It clears any side mount issues...
    Or your could try to work with the factory front timing cover mount- it is still tapped for a front mount.