Register now to get rid of these ads!

rear end help

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by motorossi, Mar 22, 2012.

1. motorossi

motorossi
    from jackson ca

im not sure on what rear end i want to run on my 40 chevy pickup, do any of you guys have any ideas on what a good rear end would be for a sbc 350??
    what do you think about running independent suspension on the the rear?

2. sawbuck

sawbuck
    from 06492 ct

ford 8 inch...

3. I had a 37 Chevy P.U. with a Corvette rear, I didn't care for it. My 40 Chevy Pickup I used an IROC Camaro rear end with disc brakes, loved it, but knowing what I know now I'd go with a 8 or 9 inch ford, way more choices for gears and brakes etc. That's my experience, not opinion, but experence.

4. cshades

cshades
    from wi

I used a mid 70's camaro 10 bolt with a chassis engineering spring kit.

5. just about anything would work as long as your not pumping out serious hp, 8 inch would work, so would a 10 bolt, something smaller would be better because of less parasitic power loss, dana 44 would work too, or chrysler 8.25 would work too, heres a list of cars to look for
    2wd s10
    camaro / firebird
    dakota 94 and up? and up stay away from the 7.25 its got an octagon cover and its junk
    mustangs just about anything after 79 will have a good rear end. on the 4 lug ones u can convert them to 5 by taking ranger axles on the short side? and assorted brake hardware
    theres tons more those are just the most common...

6. AnimalAin

AnimalAin

Late model Ford Explorers have an 8.8 rear end that is about the right width, has decent gear selection, many have limited slip, and most have disk brakes.

7. KY Boy

KY Boy

I second the ford explorer option. 8.8 inch ring gear, 31 spline, many are clutch type limited slip, and have disc brakes. 3.73 is a pretty common gear for them. They are 5 bolt 4.5 inch pattern. The local pick a parts are full of them. They are also easy to narrow as they are off center and you can use two short side axles and just cut a long side tube. We put one in dads 32 sedan and a friend has one in a 64 fairlane. To get a 31 spline, 3.73 posi disc brake 9 inch would cost a fortune...we have done both rears for under 300 bux each.

8. 40FordGuy

40FordGuy

Here's my vote for the 8.8" Ford Explorer rear.."hat rotor" disc brakes and all. You can even use the Ford factory e-brake cables,...They run along the driver side of the frame, connect to any handle you'd like to use. Mine came from a 2000 2wd Explorer, for around $400.

Happy Roddin'.... 4TTRUK

9. motorossi

motorossi
    from jackson ca

well i have mustang 2 front susp but its the universal lug patern so i can pretty much choose what ever i want. my buddy have arx7 rear end i can buy for 100 any opinions on that??

10. What's an arx7?

11. Edgrrrrr

Edgrrrrr
    from Kentucky

Mazda rear in a chev truck just sounds wrong! Go with a stronger easier to get parts for rear. As stated above the 8.8 would be my choice. I'm running a narrowed 8.8 in my prostreet truck.

12. Retro Jim

Retro Jim

Ford 8" will work great with a mild build . If you are going to put some decent HP to that rear , then go with a Ford 9" and never have a worry !

Retro Jim