Register now to get rid of these ads!

1955 olds brake resivor problem, tin can?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Flash Caddilac, Mar 28, 2012.

1. I just gave my 55 olds dual exhaust but the brake booster resivo/canister was in the way. With that said I took it off with plan to mount to on the out side of the frame but I also put side pipes on and now I can't. So the question is can I make a new can out of a tomato can or something smaller then the original canister? Does the brake system need the volume or is the canister just so I the motor dies there is a couple of power brake pumps of the pedal?

2. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

Mount it on the inner fender between the tire and door,thats where it was mounted on my 53 olds.

3. Willy301

Willy301

Just a thought, not much for Billet, but Wilwood offers a master kit with a remote reservoir... I am sure they have a less shiny version, or maybe someone else makes something similar...

4. flatoz

flatoz

Willy301, he's actually talking about the vacuum canister that the olds had that ran along the frame rail Olds has boosted brakes. So its not the MC reservior for the fluid.

I can understand how your read that into the original question. Only coz i have a '55 did I figure out what he was saying.

to OP, you can mount it anywhere as long as you hook it up the same way.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2012
  5. That's exactly it, sorry once I read what I posted again I realized I wasnt very clear. The vacuum canister is what I'm talking about. All it really is is a over sized tin can to hold vacuum to the booster. But can it shortend? I don't have the room for how long it is now, can I make a new onethat is shorter? Or does it need that size of canister for the brakes to work or can I make one half the size? I'm trying to get some pic of what I'm talking about. Thanks for any help

6. tooljunkie

tooljunkie
    from manitoba

relocate it to under the dash,behind the bumper,the trunk or wherever you like,if anything go a little bigger,not smaller.you are limited by only your imagination.

7. junk yard kid

junk yard kid

I think i would give it a try and see what happens. I think your right about it being for if the motor dies. Maybe if you where useing it a lot in traffic as well.

8. I think I'm going to give it a go, i founda aluminum drive shaft that's the same diameter so I'll plate the ends and tap a hole in it. Worst case is the brakes are alittle weaker. But I can't see it. Though I'd see if someone has come across this problem before, I never thought about the traffic thing though.

9. Curly5759

Curly5759
    from Aridzona

I disconnected the one in my 59 Cad about 20 years ago, and have never had a problem. In fact, I noticed the engine started a easier with it unhooked. I have never tried hooking it back up. There is a check valve on my power booster and I get 1-2 brake pumps with the engine off.

Curly

10. Curly, No kidding? Thats what I wanted to hear, less work. Well I think I'll give that a try first. Makes sence though, the booster still has a vacuum line to it. So it should still work. Cheers

11. Willy301

Willy301

Oooops, my bad, I think the booster is more about holding some volume so you have brakes when the engine isn't making as much vacuum, like high speed or when you are using the brakes often, such as in traffic. Sometimes they are overkill, especially around the time Ralph Nader was actively harassing the automobile industry. I hope you can figure it out...

12. d2_willys

d2_willys
    from Kansas

Had a vacuum reservoir can for other vacuum items that was the size of a tomato juice can on my old 84 Bronco 2. Not too big and should work. Located near the battery on the Bronco 2. Rangers probably have them too.

13. Olds Dad

Olds Dad

My '55 has a 12" piece of 4" diameter PVC with both ends capped and a pipe nipple coming out of one of the caps to the vacuum line...stops on a dime and gives my 9 cents change