Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects My Pontiac project.....I might need some help

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryguy442, Aug 15, 2011.

1. Ryguy442

Ryguy442
    from Nc

Thanks DHR, yeah I feel like sometimes that car is the only thing keeping me sane. Sounds like you got a cool project. My dad was an olds guy, so I am. Love the 50s olds. My dad and i use to butt heads every once in a wile, it was pretty rare. I think that's just part of the father/son relationship. Enjoy the time you have with him, it's not easy to be in the shop alone.

2. nwbhotrod

nwbhotrod
    from wash state

Rayan I am very sorry about your Dad. Now get your ass out there and clean up the front of your house. my god man do you have a wife and kids. I hope not. Guys like you give us Hillbillies a bad name

3. Ryguy442

Ryguy442
    from Nc

Hahahaha yeah I need to clean up out there. It was clean at one time. I just run out of room to keep all the crap. It was worse when my dad had all his stuff out there too. As soon as I run out of stuff to do ill get that junk cleaned up. Honestly I'm surprised it took this long for someone to say something!

Ryan

4. 343w

343w

My wife would have a come-apart with that in the yard. When she agreed to marry me she made sure to stipulate, "no old cars in the yard". I guess I have forgotten a few times in the last 28 years.....

5. DRH

DRH

I love the 50s olds too but my absolute favorite of all time is the body style you have. That is one of the coolest designs of all time imo, and it represents a era long gone and never to return. Im sure you will do the car justice.

6. Ryguy442

Ryguy442
    from Nc

I totally agree the era of cars like these are long gone, then tho this thing was built long before I was born I still feel drawn to the simpler times. I plan on doing justice to the car the best I can. I'm not really aiming for any particular style. Just my style, aggressive, low, loud, and monster rear tires. I want something I can drive, beat up alittle, and not be afraid to have fun in

Ryan

7. 60man

60man

I don't come on here much but your build caught my eye for some reason ..:D Don't know why you went to the 8.8 rear??Unless it was handy..the stock 60 rear was GM 9.3 very strong rear. I use them in my 800 HP Hot Rod with a spool. You can go to NAPA or other competent store and ask for a "jump joint" for rear U-joint. They just need to know journal measurements on yokes...or at least what applications are for rears..Looks like a Scarebird front disc brake kit..I run that on my car with Strange rear discs.. Keep your work up Ryan.
    SOS = Save our Sharks ..:) PM any questions you have on 60's...not much I haven't done..

Try this link..www.performanceyearspontiac/com/forms/

BTW: My car runs 6.41 @ 108 MPH fir 1/8 mile & 10.05 @ 135 MPH 1/4 mile...all 4,100 pounds of it..

Attached Files:

8. Ryguy442

Ryguy442
    from Nc

Hey 60man! Yeah the reason I went with a 8.8 was for a few reasons. I know the stock ones were bullet proof. I wanted posi, disc brakes, and in order to fit the monster tires in the rear I needed something alittle more narrow. Plus they are easy to find parts for and I only paid $75 for the rear end and it has a 4.10 gear. Just seemed like the way to go.

I ended up crawling under there the other and messing the driveshaft the other day. Turns out the u joint I have on there works with the rear end. I knew my dad swapped that yoke for a reason! Yes it is a scarebird kit, I'm really happy with it.

Iv seen your car on YouTube! That thing is crazy fast. I'd like to see 13's out of mine in the 1/4. But first things first I'd like for it to drive to the end of the driveway! I'm hope to take the rearend out for the last time this week and make the brake lines. I'll be in contact with you iv always got questions thanks!

Ryan

9. Ryguy442

Ryguy442
    from Nc

Alright I got a small update from today. I took the springs out for the last time and got them painted. Also put in the new energy suspension sway bar bushings.
    ImageUploadedByTJJ1337555799.426393.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTJJ1337555733.727040.jpg

I'll Post a pic of the whole thing back together when I get that far

10. Ryguy442

Ryguy442
    from Nc

11. Ryguy442

Ryguy442
    from Nc

Got alot done today! I replaced the u-joint nearest the rear end, and hooked up the driveshaft. Put gear oil in the rearend, and got the rear brake line figured out. Now it finally spins the rear end. Pretty exciting, finally it to see the monster tires spin. I can't wait to just to drive this thing to the end of the driveway! I'm going to work on the front brake lines more this weekend. maybe get them working.

Ryan

12. I'm likin' it! Ours runs a 16 second quarter, more of a cruiser, but I have an M22 sitting on the floor and I often get the urge to start cutting and modifying and make it a 12 second 4 spd car. about 6 projects lined up ahead of it first though.

Attached Files:

13. Ryguy442

Ryguy442
    from Nc

Thanks Dave! Your 60 is killer man, I like the 8 lugs. I'd love to make mine a 13 sec car. I still have alot of work to do.

14. Ryguy442

Ryguy442
    from Nc

15. HotRod60F100

HotRod60F100

I dig the stance of your Poncho man,and your dads Hurst 442 is rare and my fav Olds ever.

16. Ryguy442

Ryguy442
    from Nc

Thanks! I think I might bring the back up just alittle, I'll have to try it and see if I like it or not. Yeah the 69 hurst/olds was always dads favorite car and when he found this that one on the side of the road for sale he had to buy it.

17. Ryguy442

Ryguy442
    from Nc

Hey guys, im super excited my dads best friend was on tv last night. He sold his 50 olds to the guys at gas monkey garage on there show for discovery channel! He gave a little shout out for my dad, he wore a shirt he had made in his memory. "Ricks place". It was only for a brief seconds but it means the world to me and my family. I'm sure he was grinning ear to ear watching down on us, huddled around the tv last night..... Now of only I could find my way on tv.

Ryan

18. D'Monsta

D'Monsta

Cool man.. see if you can find the link on their site for the show.. I'd like to see it.

19. Elrod

Elrod

20. Ryguy442

Ryguy442
    from Nc

Awesome thanks Elrod!

21. Ryguy442

Ryguy442
    from Nc

Iv been working on the brakes the last few weekends looks like I'm going to have to make some new lines. New ground for me but I'll figure it out

22. adamshumard

adamshumard

I saw that episode. That's rad to put tv and real folks together. Building a 60 poncho wagon with my little bro. Way cool cars. His is bagged and more of a cruiser. I don't think any amount of work would make that tank a 1/4 mile car. I'll be watching your build. Keep on it!

23. white64

white64
    from Maine

Hey Ryan, I envy you have a dad that was around to help you do the things you both loved, can it be any better than that. Everytime you touch that car or think of the times you had with your dad and how he shared his knowledge with you he's right there beside you.
    We all do the best we can (I think) and I'm trying to be that dad that is involved in Ryan's (my son's name) life.

24. Ryguy442

Ryguy442
    from Nc

Yeah it's crazy seeing someone I know on national tv, I wanna see this wagon! Do a build page with it so mine isn't so lonely. I would've done mine with bags and make a cruiser but it had a 4speed and a cam in it when I got it.

25. Ryguy442

Ryguy442
    from Nc

Hey guys! Got the brakes working today! Got to drive it down the road and back. Did pretty well still needs work. The problem I have now is the shifter is locked up. How can I get it loose? I think the shifter wasn't adjusted right. I'll post a video soon. Thanks.

Ryan

26. KustomCars

KustomCars
    from Minnesota

27. Ryguy442

Ryguy442
    from Nc

28. KustomCars

KustomCars
    from Minnesota

Congrats! Sucha cool car!

29. Let's get that Iron Indian on the road...Pop would be so proud of your accomplishment !!

30. Ryguy442

Ryguy442
    from Nc

Thanks guys, I'm sure my dad would be very proud. Would've happened alot sooner if he was still around. It feels great to be able to move this thing! Now I'm finding the little bugs that I'm going to have to fix. Sticky shifter, little bit of backfire, gotta finish a bunch of stuff, gotta make it pretty. So stay tuned I'll have plenty of questions.

Ryan