Register now to get rid of these ads!

Project Index effort for HAMB

Discussion in 'Questions & Suggestions' started by luvit, May 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Not at all the case, he's a buddy of mine... and he's just trying to do something cool. That's all.

Not a big deal fellas.

2. Barz51

Barz51

I would add International Harvester to the list of Makes and Touring Car or Tub to the Style/Type list.

3. xxzzy999

xxzzy999

---------------

Sounds good! Thanks fro tyring to make this a better site.

Regards,
    X

4. HOTFR8

HOTFR8

Well the listing idea has got some good support and Ryan looks like he is behind the idea. For those not sure perhaps LUVIT can post a link to the GJ forum so those here can see what and how it went down over there and when I say down I mean to say just how well the idea went down so well and has been accepted so quickly by members on the GJ forum.

Not sure what Ryan says about the GOOGLE plug in but if Ryan can pull it off and make it work it would be a great asset to the HAMB and the membership. ;-)

5. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

Read the thread, it's there a couple of times.

6. HOTFR8

HOTFR8

the thread on GJ

:eek: You are 100% correct it is there. :rolleyes:

7. luvit

luvit
    from Ohio

good call, Barz 51 i edited the list and reposted, below.

Thanks xxzzy999 & HOTFR8, and everyone for the support we'll be moving forward without the google plugin, though, and it will still be good.
    • I need a list of Manufactures for the era of HAMB hot rods and input on the body style list.
    • What are missing from these lists?
    • I've included Years to define what is too recent/modern.

Styles/Types:
    Roadster
    Speedster
    Coupe
    2 Door Sedan
    4 Door Sedan
    Station Wagon
    Touring, Tub
    Dragster
    Pickup,
    Other

Makes:
    huge list of manufacturers
    Other
    Unknown

Last edited: May 28, 2012
  8. HOTFR8

HOTFR8

Style / Type - Commercial. So you have something that covers COE's Deliverys and General Trucks.

9. silent rick

silent rick

i still think you're wasting your time. i just can't see alot of hambers filling out the info in order to post a thread about their project. most can't be bothered with adding a prefix to their threads.

10. HOTFR8

HOTFR8

Give it time as it has gone over very well on the GJ but then I know things are different here on the HAMB.

11. This seems like it could be a good idea, I'm not sure why there's push-back and actually just not a lot of interest. I like build threads, I think making them easy to find and sortable is pretty good, Paul's list doesn't even scratch the surface. I'm surprised this hasn't even got a debate going (and maybe that tells us something).

Ok, luvit is a FNG, and doesn't really come across as a HAMB kinda guy, but he's got Ryan's blessing so what's the problem?

The data fields are pretty dry and encylcopaedic if you ask me. I don't think of my car as: "Ford, tudor sedan, 1903-... blah"... it's a shoebox and most of us know that a shoebox is a '49-'51 Ford; it's (going to be) a custom, it's not a hot rod.

So the data fields would need to be defined by us, not the computer guy. No one wants to toss it around?

12. silent rick

silent rick

ever try entering, oh let's say, "shoebox build" in an advanced search? BigA's shows up.

or "roadster build"? or to narrow the search results, try adding stuff inside the parenthesis such as years or models..."32 roadster build", "deuce roadster build". swap in the word project for build and see what shows up.

or search by threads started by user name to find what your favorite builder is posting such as bobbleed or bass?

there are thousands of build threads on the hamb that turn up using the search function. why do we need a special section for them? ryan has resisted adding sub forums and has the support of many long time hamb users. ever been on one of those forums that have a section for every thing under the sun? i recall a cobra forum with close to 100 subsections. where do you post on the damn thing?

it's been said before, more sections equal more headaches for the moderators and more places for spammers to do their thing. hambers are constantly posting stuff in the wrong place.

everybody likes build threads. so we give them a special forum. everybody likes seeing cars of historical significance. old lakes cars and gassers and early customs. do we give them a special forum too? ever been to the vintage photo thread? that thing's a monster. see how many views it has? it needs it's own section too. break it up into people, places and cars.

the hamb has gotten to where it is now by doing something right. you're not the first newbie to come along and suggest changes that have worked on other message boards. people need to stick around, get a feel for the place. familiarize yourself with the terminology. you suggested a project index until people said they prefer build. some still use the term project. all one needs to do is spend some time here, pick up on some keywords used, and give the search function a try.

the hamb is fine the way it is.

13. Yep, I'm starting to feel like I know my way around here. It's a bit more crowded than it used to be with less than 300 members :D

I started a "Post your shoebox build threads" topic in the Shoebox group, and I started it by compiling 25 or so threads, pretty much just the ones I was subscribed to and could find reasonably easily. Most of them have shoebox in the title, some don't. Jivin' Jer's Junior Conway Coupe build wouldn't have come up in a search without some digging.

I don't know about the bandwidth issues or how Ryan deals with spam etc., I just think a sortable index would be handy. The pie charts are pretty ginchy too.

There's a good example of why the boys and girls are a bit skeptical.

I think if this is going to happen then Ryan has to back it, otherwise no one's onboard and it'll die, so-be-it. Doesn't sound like most are going to get into it.

14. Tommy R

Tommy R

I love this idea! As a first time hot rod builder, it would be great to have a sortable method of viewing similar builds. I search a LOT, but can't always locate the info. I'm after. I think this would be very helpful in that regard.

Thanks for doing this!

15. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    from Texas

Well! It looks like your perseverance is paying off.. I believe in being fair and giving everybody a chance. I'll fill out what you sent in the PM and let you have your shot at this deal.

Good luck.

16. nico32

nico32
    from fdl, wi

May I suggest taking the map feature out of it? Yes, most of us have our location posted everytime we post something, but when it comes to builds there are some guys doing some high-end and rare stuff from time to time. If you give someone a map of where some of these builds are being done, you might as well leave a key under the mat. I realize it's not giving the exact location (address), but just seems to be unnecessary info to post. There are scammers that frequent the HAMB. Heck, last Friday I had someone email me about some parts I was looking for my International, although clearly it was too good to be true since he only wanted $450 for the three parts, which would easily cost triple that. Even in less than NOS condition. Checked with the only other person to visit his profile and sure enough, they had the same email.

Just something to consider, otherwise nice work. I look forward to sharing my build once the honey-do list is done for the summer.

17. luvit

luvit
    from Ohio

The city field recommends for security to select another city (possibly a metro) for small-town guys like me. I'd really like to leave it..

18. EnragedHawk

EnragedHawk
    from Waco, TX

Haha, I'm glad I found this thread. I was about to forward that email I got from luvit to one of the moderators. I'm a naturally suspicious person.

19. A Rodder

A Rodder

Me too, but Ill play.

20. me too,but I will give it a try.
    last weekend we had a dutch HAMBer gather and we talked about the fact that the HAMB didn't have a seperate build or project section.
    so I think it's a good idea.

Jurgen

21. luvit

luvit
    from Ohio

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.