Register now to get rid of these ads!

Need a reputable engine company

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Gruizer54, Jun 4, 2012.

1. Gruizer54

Gruizer54

I'm looking to buy a remanufactured Ford 302 longblock.

Here is the story. My wife has a cousin who ownes a 63 Fairlane and she (yes she the cousin, not my wife) blew the engine on it (overheated). I told her I would put another engine in it over a weekend. She saved up $1500.00 for a remanufactured engine but I'm nervous about getting hosed by some slimey bastards who just want to make a buck. Anyone know of a good company that stands behind their work? So far I've found a couple of companies that sell longblocks in her pricerange.

Promar Engines (NY)
    California Engine (Norcal)
    Advanced Engine Exchange (Kentucy)
    United Engine (socal)
    Engines Direct (Arizona)

Unfortunatly I haven't been able to find too much info on any of these companies. They all advertise on Ebay though and offer waranties on their products. Any feedback would be much appreciated. Thanks guys.

2. WildWilly68

WildWilly68

Always had good luck with ATK/Vege and they have a good warranty.

3. You DO know that the original engine in this car is a 5 bolt block, and any 302 will be a 6 bolt block, nessecitating a trans bellhousing change at least for a bolt-in.

Cosmo

4. One thing to remember (and you may already know this ;) ) is that, if the Fairlane currently has the original 221-260-289 in it, it has a five-bolt bellhousing; every 302 has a six-bolt bellhousing pattern which is not compatible with the original transmission.

Of course if the toasted engine is a previously swapped later version, you're all good.

Edit: treed. :)

5. Sumfuncomet

Sumfuncomet

Stay the hell away from SpeedoMotive! What about a Ford racing crate? Warranty, built right too. Kuntz Racing , DPM , Keith Craft......all more high dollar but well built. The other choice would be a nice clean salvage yard 5.0 and then do a conversion to carb, not that hard.

6. Enginepro5x here on the board. Yes he's in Kansas. You could get a relay out to CA. I used him for the SBC in my Merc and couldn't be happier.

7. Gruizer54

Gruizer54

Thanks for the feedback guys. The toasted engine is a 302, so it already has the 6 bolt bellhousing. I'll take a look at ATK/Vege. I thought about going the Ford Crate but everything I saw was in the 3K price range. I'll have to PM Enginepro5x. Thanks again guys.