Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hey I got a brake question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryguy442, Jun 8, 2012.

1. Ryguy442

Ryguy442
    from Nc

Ok guys I'm working one the brake lines on the rear end of my 60 ponitac, the rear end is a 8.8 out of and explorer. I got the hard lines all figured out. All that left is to hook the bake hose from the rearend to the brake lines on the body. The fittings seem to be different, the fitting on the Pontiac line is bigger then the line from the 8.8. Any idea on what kinda adapter I'm going to need? And where I can get it? Hopefully somewhere local. This is my first time doing anything like this with brakes. Thanks!

Ryan

2. ONAROLL

ONAROLL
    from Oklahoma

should be able to find a reducer from whatever the pontiac is to 3/16ths that the 8.8 has, any decent parts store should have em, if you have to, get a reducer at your master cylinder and run new 3/16ths all the way back, new brake lines are cheap..

3. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'd agree with Onaroll that you should be able to find a reducer/adapter at a good parts house. Check the local Napa store.

I've got a question though and it's just because I just have to know. Why would a guy pull the Pontiac rear axle out of a 60 Pontiac when it is a hell for beefy axle and put in a rather whimpy in comparison Explorer axle under the car?

4. Ryguy442

Ryguy442
    from Nc

I've got a question though and it's just because I just have to know. Why would a guy pull the Pontiac rear axle out of a 60 Pontiac when it is a hell for beefy axle and put in a rather whimpy in comparison Explorer axle under the car?[/QUOTE]

Iv been asked that a few times, yes the orginal axel is extremely strong under those. I looked high and low to find a posi unit for it. But they were way too expensive! Plus I wanted disc brakes and a more narrow rearend to fit some giant tires. I did some research and found people with 9 sec cars with a stock 8.8. Parts are easy to find, and getting one for $50 didn't hurt either. Now I got 4.10 gears, posi, and disc brakes.

I'm got to drive down to napa and see what they can do. Thanks guys

5. FlynBrian

FlynBrian

Ford 8:8's are plenty strong with 31spline axles many drag racers have run well into 8 sec. quarter mile times with them. The pinion is the same diameter as a 12 bolt chevy, which is bigger than a 9 inch Ford. They also will eat up less horsepower than the Pontiac or a 9 inch Ford rear. I see your reasoning behind the swap, they are cheap out of a u-pull/salvage yard. Plus get rear discs also. Save the Pontiac rear, someone will want it. I have an 8:8 in my 60 Falcon, beat on it daily, they are a good alternative when you can't find or afford the price of the vintage posi-tractions. Napa should have the union you need. If not you can always cut your factory hardline slide a Ford end on it, and reflare the line.

6. JohnEvans

JohnEvans
    from Phoenix AZ

FlynBrain: Just HOW do you propose to slide a flare nut for 3/16th tube over a 1/4" tube ????

7. Ryguy442

Ryguy442
    from Nc

Thanks brian, that was my logic on it too. I know they are tough and easy to find. I still have the Pontiac rear end may use it on one of my many other projects.

Just got back from napa, they were very help full and got me what I need.
    ImageUploadedByTJJ1339173678.236637.jpg

Still alot more work to do!

8. FlynBrian

FlynBrian

You can't unless the hardline is a 1/4 tube.

9. 40FordGuy

40FordGuy

Keep us posted...

4TTRUK (8.8" fan)

10. Ryguy442

Ryguy442
    from Nc