Register now to get rid of these ads!

My friends dont like hot rods

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by GovernorKC, Jul 11, 2012.

1. GovernorKC

GovernorKC

You'd probably put me in this category. Not the way I want it to be but all I can afford for now. I wouldnt call my self a wanna-be though, gotta start somewhere.

2. I don't know how many times its been said already but, "find new friends"!

Or, go lone wolf.

3. my friends like cars but not like us. they think its cool what i do but way too much for them to really care what it is i am doing. ive always been kind of a loner in that sense..

4. rustednutz

rustednutz
    from tulsa, ok

I've got many different hobbies (hot rods, drag racing, Harley riding, shooting, airplanes, grandkids etc.) with friends in each catagory. Very few friends overlap between these interests and that's fine with me. I've got friends that golf that don't understand riding motorcycles -- too dangerous; rodders and racers that think golf is too boring (me included); etc etc. The point is, your friends don't have to be involved in all aspects of your life. There is some one little common bond that ties you together that lets you call someone your friend, and I believe you can never, ever have too many friends.

5. bigalturk1

bigalturk1

I have friends like that, otherwise they're good people. My wife and I will get together with them when there isn't much else going on. We'll go to the restaurant, or watch movies together. I respect them to a certain point because they have they're own interests like Boats, golf, bowling, etc.
    No one can say I've changed. I can look back to the last 45 years of my life and see me doing the same things I do today. This would include working on cars & motorcycles, going to car & m/c shows & swap meets or cruises or taking a long trip in my Hot-rod or on my m/c.
    My dad was a Bodyman, but only I was into cars & bikes. My younger brother was a CPA (RIP) and my older brother is a school principal with a PHD...neither one even knew how to turn a wrench or straighten a fender.
    I sold my business and went into the Postal service in 1982 because the cars weren't fun to work on anymore. However, I never gave up working on old cars, Hotrods and motorcycles on the side and always made good money doing it. I am retired (2009) and spend my days (Some nights too) doing the same thing. My advice to young guys is, don't think that everyone is your friend. I've done a lot for people in my life, but I can only count on one hand, how many people did the same for me.

6. roddinron

roddinron

^^^x2

7. 327Eric

327Eric

I have few friends anymore, let alone anyone who likes cars.My girlfriend tolerates my habit, and likes me working on the cars, so I am lucky. I have a couple friends nearby, that I have known for years that are gearheads, but in general, living in the Bay Area, I have met very few car people, who appreciate less than a perfect Bugatti, or perfect '71 Cuda that was the only one built with the optional vibrasonic heated stereo bidet with moose antlers option. It does however, make it that much more fun to drive around. Nothing like making people at Safeway jump when i fire up the big block, or roll up the windows at the stoplight.

8. Harleys prolly find you annoying also! I bet alot more people like Harleys than ricegrinders,grinding rice just has an annoying kinda bumblebee sound...jmho...

Last edited: Jul 12, 2012
  9. Now here's a dumass statement and one that would only come from a Jap-scrap rider.

Read my signature!

10. LSJUNIPER

LSJUNIPER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from ct

I did a burn out in front of a friends house once, er well he was my friend till I did the burnout hehehehehehehehehe. I might do it agian to give him a reason to get mad at me.

11. Dooley

Dooley
    from Buffalo NY

WTF??? this is what facebook is for....

12. Rich427

Rich427

My best friends are my dad, my dogs, and my girlfriend, and they all like hot rods.

13. GovernorKC

GovernorKC

Same here, they are my 3 best friends.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2012
  14. big bad john

big bad john

My friends think I look cool in my hotrod

15. try taking one of your friends with you some saturday and see if they are interested after you get home. Sounds like you do things with them so invite them in to your world.

16. Not all my friends like old cars but I think all of them at least understand. ;)

17. EnglishBob

EnglishBob

Friends tell friends this:D

18. studematt

studematt

There are tons of guys in milwaukee and in the area that are into the same things as you. Get new friends with atleast some common interest and get away from the gayview scene.

19. GovernorKC

GovernorKC

What's your beef with bayview? I wouldn't want to live anywhere else. I think it's the coolest part of the city.

20. Model T1

Model T1

Several of you guys are not even trying to be friendly. Maybe that's your problem in the real world.
    Don't be fooled, it's a lonely life without friends.

21. 62rebel

62rebel

i have a friend who lives two blocks away; we worked together at a couple of dealerships. he comes by once in a blue moon, or i go by his place just as often... i tried to get him interested in the HAMB when he bought a shoebox Ford but he's not up for it. can't really tell why he bought it... i'd have BEEN driving the crap out of it by now.

22. studematt

studematt

I don't have a problem with bayview. Its the new eastside. Its all the wanna be know it all trendy hippsters that I don't care for. Just my opinion.

23. mazer78

mazer78

I have a lot of friends, and most aren't into hot rods or bikes at all, but I have met quite a few over the years at car shows or buying and selling stuff that I now call my friends.

24. windsurf88

windsurf88

Most of my new car driving friends don't get the old car thing either.
    anyone want to be friends!

25. SteadyT

SteadyT

x2. But liking my beer doesn't mean you rank anywhere in my home, you gotta love gasoline much more.

26. southern thunder

southern thunder

I don't have any friends that are close enough to call if i was in a jam, and say, can you help. as for gearheads, compared to others (the ones that have to ask " why do you mess with that stuff" type ) I have always been drawn more to the gearhead, Harley types, the one that hang out in honkytonks,etc. compared to those that belong to the country clubs, and look down their nose at working class people. hope I didn't offend anybody, not my intent.

27. Cerberus

Cerberus

I feel blessed. New neighbor on the left has a Harley and a '67 Camaro. Made some improvements on his Harley. He bought me some tools to show his gratitude. I was surprized. Told him I wasn't expecting anything, just a riding buddy. I've been working on Harleys since 1979, and have owned English 60's bikes and couple 1100 rice burners. The firing order of a Harley just gives me goose bumps. I'd show a pic of mine but it's OT.

28. MRTS33

MRTS33

29. pug man

pug man
    from louisiana

Time for a new set of friends.....

30. Cutlassboy68

Cutlassboy68
    BANNED
    from Boone, Nc

Ya ,most of the guys i know are into the honda scene (did not say friends). Most of the hot rod guys i know i know from shows and thats typically the only time i see them... Most younger people suck...