Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods how much should i spend on this body ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by fordmechanic, Dec 21, 2012.

1. fordmechanic

fordmechanic
    BANNED

its been for sale here locally for a couple months and ive looked at it every day. what would you value it at considering the work needed to get it straight. it has rut at the cowls back edge. the chop is screwed up. the right belt line area is fubared at the back. rust on the bottom edge. and a maltese cross in the visor. im not into rat rods so it wouldnt stay as is. in indiana a clean body is slim pickings and ive been looking for a while and nothing. i cant drive out of state for one and this is only 3 miles away.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. fordmechanic

fordmechanic
    BANNED

in case he is a member here, the current owner did not do any of the bad work, ive seen his other cars and like them all. this one he has been sitting in the corner.

3. henry29

henry29

It looks like it's really pitted and covered in bondo.

maybe $7-$800?

4. cakes

cakes

one dollar Bob

5. Chris F100

Chris F100

What's the asking price? Is the owner knowledgeable as to what he has? Is the price negotiable?

6. henry29

henry29

Some of the pics don't look bad though, does it have a title?

7. adam401

adam401

Around me Fords always need the bottom 6 inches and that chop is an easy fix. Its not chopped nearly enough anyway:rolleyes: How many moneys is it?

8. fordmechanic

fordmechanic
    BANNED

he wants 2500 and is firm. he is in a car club and knowledgeable so i wouldnt be getting it for a song and dance. is the belt line in the back fixable ? i am no body guy but the frame, motor, and everything is doable as ive been a senior master for 12 years, its nuts and bolts but im by no means a body guy.

9. verde742

verde742

forget it,, wait for a better one,,,let the young, very talented get it... my .02

10. adam401

adam401

If 2500 firm means 1800 on a frame then Id do it.

11. teejay99

teejay99

What I would do would be to walk around the body with the owner and determine what has to be undone before you go ahead and complete it . Once you determine it needs a lot of work he may take a more reasonable offer .Maybe not . From there , if you want it , you pays the money given there are ( according to you ) none around or that close .

The front visor area either looks messed up or maybe it's the shadows .

12. Fenders

Fenders

Here in New England that price would be right.

13. widewhite66

widewhite66

Yeah that looks like a rough body that someone sprayed black paint over to sell. So dont be fooled. My opinion would be to be patient and wait for a better deal. That A body looks like too much long run headache. Trust me buddy, ive gone thru 3 A bodies. So your choice.

14. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sorry FM...too late...I bought it for $2,500.....................just kiddin'.

Ya gotta think ahead about the reality of it. As you said, you're not a body man. I happen to believe that with some research and practice, you'd surprise yourself as to what you could do bodywork-wise. But if you can't do it yourself, you're gonna have to pay someone else to fix 'er up...and that will probably cost more than if you saved and bought a more expensive but way nicer body that doesn't need nearly as much work.

15. fordmechanic

fordmechanic
    BANNED

everyone around here that knows how to use craigslist and ebay know they can ask a good deal for them. my daughter and i drive for an hour or two every sunday in a different direction and try for the ole fender poking out of the barn door but every weekend this summer ended in one 4 door impala but nothing id of wanted but did get some good memories.

16. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Also, does it have necessary items such as a windshield frame, garnish moldings, window regulators, seat, etc.

17. fordmechanic

fordmechanic
    BANNED

it is as it sits with no mouldings and i know that stuff would add up quick. theres prolly a reason its been passed around a few times. thanks guys. ill keep searching the classifieds here.

18. J'st Wandering

J'st Wandering

I paid $2500 for one in rough shape. I got a frame with it with a promise of a title that never happened. I paid too much but I put some value on the title. Mine is rough but I know what damage it has, unlike this one that is covered with filler. The three mile drive for it is worth something. Get something thrown in on the deal. Title and frame would be handy.

Bottom line, how bad do you want it?

Neal

EDIT, with the mention of no moldings, I would pass. Too much wrong with it. Just as the body with deck lid, I would value it at $1500 to $1800.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2012
  19. around here it better have enough parts to make it a roller with a title $2500, give or take a rad shell grill and hood , that's a lot of dough out to be startin that rough and just a body .. my $0.02, good luck

20. hellsgaterods

hellsgaterods

He told me he has $2,500 in it and has to have that out of it, firm.

21. fordmechanic

fordmechanic
    BANNED

i know he' talked to alot of people and im by no mean trying to bad mouth him or his car. just trying to get a real world aspect of what i can expect to pay for something in this range.

22. big vic

big vic
    from cary il

no sir not 2500 i live in northern il and see alot better for 2500 they dont stay long but theyre around,, i know of a sedan thats way cleaner with a frame and front end for 2000,,,it was at the skips swap meet last month and didnt sell i know the owner and its still around

23. roundvalley

roundvalley

You said that you were not a Body Guy. That body will not be friendly to you.
    Also; do you want a 28/29 or a 30/31?

24. widewhite66

widewhite66

I dont know man. Its gonna be all up to you. Just because u put $5k on a car doesnt mean thats the value. Go up there and show some cash. See if that does the trick. just Like Jwandering said, u dont find those around the corner every other day.

25. Gator

Gator

No way in Hell it's worth that. Half that tops IMHO.

Keep looking.

26. widewhite66

widewhite66

lmfao

27. raidmagic

raidmagic

$2500 is way to much in my opinion...

28. What he has into it is completely irrelevant to what its worth.
    It may mean life and death to him but it don't mean shit to you or anybody else

29. Looks like he will have it for awhile!! around here that would bring 600-700 in that condition.

30. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

For the condition that seems a little steep. Some places bring more than others but you are going to have a bunch of money and work in fixing the bad spots. I see maybe $1200 to $ 1500, IF it has a title.

Don