Register now to get rid of these ads!

1932 Chevy coupe

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by logride, May 12, 2012.

1. Awesome....cant beat a good beer n the coolest hotrod!

volvobrynk likes this.
  2. bustingear

bustingear

Be patient grasshopper.....

3. rob lee

rob lee
    from omaha,ne

Lots of practice,thats all it takes. hahaha I'm sure it won't be a problem. Rob

4. logride

logride
    from CB IA

I got the original hinges mounted in the wood.

[​IMG]

volvobrynk likes this.
  5. logride

logride
    from CB IA

I got the trunk lid mounted. It is the worst part of the body by far. Mice made a nest between the inner and outer skins which resulted in some Swiss cheese. I blasted and primed it. I would like a better one but I understand they are hard to find.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 3, 2012
    volvobrynk likes this.
  6. logride

logride
    from CB IA

You can see the rust in the upper right hand corrner

[​IMG]

volvobrynk likes this.
  7. logride

logride
    from CB IA

Here's the seat. It's from a unknown minivan. I narrowed it 4" in the front so it would fit between the doors. The back is the stock width.

It will be recovered in a tuck and roll style. Thinking of a speaker like the rear seat in 60 ish GM's although I'm not sure the seat back is thick enough. I need to do a little more reasearch.

I did put some slides on the base so it is adjustable.

[​IMG]

volvobrynk likes this.
  8. That fits nice. I like the speaker in the center idea. That would be cool.

9. Looks good.I noticed your rear window crank is still intact.........Is that going to be your A/C? :cool:

volvobrynk likes this.
  10. logride

logride
    from CB IA

Well it is going to be operative. The windshield will be fixed unlike the original. The cowl vent will work, I love those. wish my 27 roadster had one to cool my feet on hot summer days.

To answer your question. I would like air. Thinking a old under dash unit mounted under the seat. but it's not a priority at this point

volvobrynk likes this.
  11. logride

logride
    from CB IA

Wish I had something to report. No progress. I have been trying to figure out why the Motorola Alternator on the AMX is putting out 18V. no it's not the regulator. I have tried 2. Cleaned all conections. Not enough time really. It's giving me fits.

Any one have a nice right hood side for a 32? I have 2 extra usable hood tops.

12. I have seen a case where a battery with a shorted/sulfated cell caused the alternator to overcharge.Try swapping in a known good battery and retest. Nothing to loose but some time.

13. logride

logride
    from CB IA

Well the last batt died in late summer. You could hear it boiling after I shut the engine off. I checked the voltage at idle and it was 14.5 so I thought it was OK. well it wasn't. I replaced the batt and it was also 14.5 at idle. but if you reved it up the voltage will climb to 18v.

Glad I didn't blow the hood off!

I supose i'll bring the alt into the elec shop to be tested.

14. logride

logride
    from CB IA

Hey Moose,

Thanks, it took a little time but I got the rambler charging like it should. Turned out to be a bad sensing ground between the alt and reg.
    Winterized the 32's engine today. Too much time in the wrong time zones to make any progress on it.
    Anyone who is down on the USA hasn't seen the alternatives.
    Still looking for a radiator splash apron and pass hood side for the 32. I have 2 extra hood tops.

volvobrynk likes this.
  15. Ok this pic is very helpful...is it to late to ask for a few measurements?
    from the door sill plate(if that's the correct wording for it) to the face of the dash bracket?
    top of the windshield area to the dash bracket.
    Any sort of measurements would be cool.
    Also does the dash (top flange area) sit inside the windshield channel that the rubber gasket sits into? That's what i'm assuming and the conture fits right

16. xderelict

xderelict
    Member Emeritus

Cool, I like the 32 Chevy. We'll be seeing it around.

17. HRK-hotrods

HRK-hotrods

Very nice! I envy your progress....

18. Logride, looks great! While your doing measurements could you take one more next time your in the garage? I have a '31 AE Independence Coach (2 door), I've been searching for a drivers door and from looking at your posts, the '32 door looks very similar. Specifically can you measure the width of your door? My '31 has the same body lines below the window and handle below the last line and is 35 1/2 inches (+/-) a little. Do you know if a '32 door would work on a '31? (Height not important, 5" chop).

[​IMG]

19. Dirtynails

Dirtynails
    from garage

my dad bought a 32 Chev for my Mum a very long tie ago .She never drove itand it was parked until 1972.Some dealer type bought it for $2500. The mileage? 7500. from new.
    The president of the NSW (Australia) Chev club has it now and I think the mileage is still the same. :)
    I have had a decades long love affair with the '32 Chev as a result.

20. Dirtynails

Dirtynails
    from garage

No they are completely different and the 32 Chaqssis has a lot variations compared with a 31 . You would be better off finding someone who can wheel up a new door skin for you.

21. logride

logride
    from CB IA

Well it's been a while, but after life intervened I think I'm going to be able to get started again.

I should have saved all of this until the car was done because I don't like waiting for the ending either.

I cleaned out the garage to give me a little space to work just looking at the coupe again makes me want to get it done
    Again this is slower progress than I like.

Attached Files:

volvobrynk likes this.
  22. logride

logride
    from CB IA

I got the hood sides and doors from dvs28 here on the hamb. He did a great job packing them. Thanks spencer.

Attached Files:

23. logride

logride
    from CB IA

I do have some extra doors pm me and we can see if they fit.

Attached Files:

24. logride

logride
    from CB IA

I think I'm going to use this 1950 Chevy trunk handle. I just need to take some time to figure out how to make it operate a bear claw latch since I can't seem to find a original any way.

Attached Files:

volvobrynk likes this.
  25. logride

logride
    from CB IA

Side view.
    Tail lights, I don't have them installed yet because I want to get the holes in the right place on the rear fenders but I'm thinking they need to be shortened up 2 inches or so. The taillight stands that is.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 12, 2013
  26. logride

logride
    from CB IA

I have been making a little progress. The taillight stands are for a 33 and cast aluminum. I spent a few hours making them fit the shape of the 32 fenders. I'm using the stock 32 light housings.

I got some fishtail exhaust extensions from a bike shop. 1 7/8" OD so they slip in my pipes which are 2"OD.

I like the 50 trunk handle and wanted to make the button work but ended up using a latch mounted to the body with a cable that has a release that I'll mount inside out of sight.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 21, 2013
    volvobrynk likes this.
  27. logride

logride
    from CB IA

Here's a picture of the rear. The deck lid was home to some mice for a while and caused some rot.

Attached Files:

volvobrynk likes this.
  28. That sure is looking fine. The taillight stands sure look good.

volvobrynk likes this.
  29. logride

logride
    from CB IA

I have been making a little progress. Had the doors painted, polished the taillight stands, installed the optional 32 Chevy heater and brought it to the body shop this morning for some more paint.

Two tone, black and blue.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 3, 2014
    volvobrynk likes this.