Register now to get rid of these ads!

Picked up a 1964 Chevy C10 292 from original owner

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by T.W.Dustin, Apr 5, 2013.

1. T.W.Dustin

T.W.Dustin

Even though I have a '55 GMC 150 in the works I just couldn't pass this one up. A 1964 Chevy C10 longbed stepside with a 292 6 banger and a 4 speed. Other than the color this is almost the same truck my Grandpa drove in Wyoming years ago.

This truck was owned by the same man for 49 years. He is 71 now and it was his first new vehicle when he was 21 or 22. It was first registered in October, 1963. He still works every day. It is a Northern AZ vehicle so almost completely rust free. He's done a few touch ups on it and it needs a little massaging but it is in tremendous condition. He had the original owners manual (not a reproduction) that still looks like new. He pulled horse trailers with it. He refreshed the engine with a new longblock 10 or 12 years ago and it has about 1000 miles on the engine. It also had a lot of other new parts installed when he had the engine done. The mechanic painted the engine chevy orange but it will be it's original green color after I spend some time on it. It drives like a dream compared to other old trucks I have had. The seat was also recovered. I have it tucked away at a friends house up in Flagstaff until I can go drive it home in a couple of weeks.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 5, 2013
  2. 65PANELRAT

65PANELRAT

3. scrappybunch

scrappybunch
    from nj

Right turn Clyde!

Nice!

4. Super cool truck, most of those came with the 235 & 3-on-the-tree. I'm a pure sucker for those 4-speeds.

Bob

5. Awesome combo. My 64 C10 has the same setup. Probably one of my favorite combos in these trucks. The SM420 has its' limitations, but, it makes up for them in other ways. That shifter handle in yours has me thinking SM465 though. No matter, sweet truck.

6. VNTGE41

VNTGE41
    from l.a.

Love the hubcaps ,need those for my c10

7. Those are a 1 year cap, the 65-66 cap doesn't have the ridge around the perimeters... tough to find a clean set of 64 caps.

8. T.W.Dustin

T.W.Dustin

I am going to pick the truck up this weekend from my friend in Flagstaff where my son dropped it off 2 weeks ago. I can't wait to start messing around on it. I will drive it to Overgaard, AZ where I will keep it this summer at my cabin. It's about a 140 mile trip. I will have my wife follow in her Jeep - taking a tool box just in case of course :)

9. T.W.Dustin

T.W.Dustin

Well I got her home with no issues. It's about a 150 mile trip at elevation from Flag to Overgaard. She ran strong the whole way. I have various lighting/wiring issues for sure but the engine, trans, clutch and brakes all function perfectly. Although the speedo is disconnected, she ran a fairly steady 75MPH across 40 from Flag to Holbrook according to my wife who was following in the Wrangler.

The wipers do not function and I have not diagnosed it yet but I have no worries that it won't get sorted out with my fluke 77.

The emergency brake does not function and is missing parts. I think they are the same as the '55 GMC and I can check that on my other truck.

I think I want to change the rear drivers side fender for one with the cut-out like my Grandpa's truck had. I always thought that looked cool when I was 8 yrs old back in '69. Does anyone know if there is any difference between the short and long bed trucks with the tire cutout?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. Cerberus

Cerberus

The '64 long bed step side fender allowed the wheel to sit lower because there is more space between the cab and the rear fender. I have a similar truck and have thought about the spare side carrier. The side carrier makes the C10 Step Side look like a ranch truck for some reason. Might as well, while you are at it, add two rows of oak stake rails above the sides. Then, maybe some long horns on the hood? LOL

11. T.W.Dustin

T.W.Dustin

Haha maybe my "inner cowboy" is showing :D