Register now to get rid of these ads!

New Parnelli Jones Book

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by toml24, Jan 11, 2013.

1. toml24

toml24

A new book has just been published with a unique name. It's called "As a matter of fact, I am Parnelli Jones"

It's a great look back by the elder statesmen Parnelli Jones as he discusses the various race cars he drove as a race car driver, from So-Cal jalopies up through his Indy cars and the Oly Bronco. The book is in Parnelli's own words with "eyewitness" comments from fellow drivers. 276 pages with many photos. All this put together by Bones Bourcier and published by Coastal 181.

Attached Files:

2. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Wow, thats a must have!

3. One of the most naturally talented men to ever sit behind the wheel of a race car!

4. eppster

eppster

That should be a great read !!!

5. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Looking forward to seeing what he has to say about his first Times Grand Prix excursion! Thats high on my list of places I wanna go if they ever invent time travel.

6. aircap

aircap

The man is a genuine badass, so I'm sure his story is a page turner.
    Must obtain!

7. toddz69

toddz69

It's a great book - I haven't finished reading it yet but it's very much in "Parnelli's voice" and his manner of telling stories.

Todd Z.

8. Indy Bones

Indy Bones

Todd Z ... Thanks for the kind words. I had the pleasure of co-writing the book with Parnelli, and our goal was to have his "voice" come through. We took the same approach with the other racers, friends, and family members who contributed those "Eyewitness" postscripts to each chapter. (Not a sales pitch here, folks. Just saying thanks!)

9. I have bought from Coastal181 in the past ... they offer some pretty damn good stuff. This one sounds like another desirable one.

10. Irrational Metalworks

Irrational Metalworks
    Alliance Vendor
    from DFW

Can't wait to add this to the collection. I will never forget the last Riverside race in the BFG Blazer. PJ was a mad man!!!

11. Indy Bones

Indy Bones

Here's something to warm the hearts of old-school car guys ... A couple weeks ago, Parnelli did a book-signing at the big "Motorsports 2013" show outside Philadelphia. The man signed for two straight hours before the line started thinning a bit. In a world in which it sometimes seems as if most "race fans" actually discovered the sport six or eight years ago, it was refreshing to see the admiration and respect many still have for genuine legends like Parnelli. And this was on the East Coast, not exactly home turf for the L.A.-based Parnelli! Every now and then, it's nice to be reminded that history and tradition and accomplishments still trump flash and dazzle and TV hype.

12. toddz69

toddz69

The genuine article for sure. A few years ago when Walker Evans was inducted into the Off Road Motorsports Hall of Fame (of which Parnelli is also a member), he told the story of a time early in his racing career when he didn't win or something else bad happened that made him mad. He was in a foul mood and didn't want to see or talk to his fans that were nearby and stomped off. Parnelli happened to be there with him, pulled him aside, and gave him a "little talk" about how you always treat your fans well and be gracious with them even when you don't feel like doing it. Walker said it was a lesson he never forgot.

And Bones, I haven't finished the book yet but I haven't read the story yet of the time Parnelli got a little impatient behind a little old lady at a traffic light in Torrance :). Parnelli didn't tell me the story, but my friend who works for him told it to me a few years ago.....

Todd Z.

13. Indy Bones

Indy Bones

Not a plug, honest, just a nod toward a great racer and what he's meant to so many of us ... If you happen to be in or around Indianapolis in the next couple weeks (and why wouldn't you be?), Parnelli will be signing books and participating in several events in honor of the 50th anniversary of his 1963 Indy 500 victory.

There are two book signings on the Saturday before the race, as well as a possible signing on Pole Day, this Saturday.

It ain't everyday that you can shake hands with history, but to meet Rufus Parnell Jones is to do exactly that.

14. 29AVEE8

29AVEE8

Some years ago when my very good e-mail friend, the late Don Radbruch was doing the "Lesson In History" in the National Speed Sport News he did a piece on Parnelli. He quoted Bobby Unser saying " Parnelli Jones was the best I ever saw". Now I didn't get to see Rex Mays, Novulari, Fangio, or many others, but I have seen Moss, G.Hill, P.Hill, Gurney, Clark, Foyt, Rutherford, Branson, Herk, the Unsers,.....most of them since the late fifties. If you were at the Trans-Am race at Riverside in the fall 1970 when P.J. put Bud Moore's Mustang on the poll, spun on the first lap, went to last place, recaptured the lead, and lapped all but the second place car of Follmer you might agree with me and Bobby U., Rufus P. Jones is the best I have ever seen.

Last edited: May 14, 2013
  15. Fortyfordguy

Fortyfordguy

Doesn't seem to be available in e-book form. Any chance they'll offer that?

16. Indy Bones

Indy Bones

Fortyfordguy, I can't answer that for sure. But to me, opting for the e-book over a traditional book is like seeing a high-quality, all-original steel Deuce body available for low dollars, and saying, "Gosh, can't I get it in plastic instead?"

Especially when it comes to anything of a historical nature.

Give me the "old-fashioned" book, with real pages and real covers, any ol' day.

17. Hefty Lefty

Hefty Lefty

I was there in '67 when he dnf'ed the STP PT6 powered car. I wonder if he talks much about that in the book.

18. Indy Bones

Indy Bones

Yes, Hefty, there's a great deal about the STP "Whooshmobile" in the book ... As Parnelli and others point out, that might be the most famous "loss" in Indy 500 history, just because of all the hoopla generated by the turbine car.