Register now to get rid of these ads!

drilling an 8 ball for shifter knob

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by skinnydennis, May 23, 2013.

1. skinnydennis

skinnydennis
    from Austin, TX

Has anyone out there drilled a pool ball for a shifter knob? if so, what did you drill with?

2. 65ssnova

65ssnova
    from Tulsa OK

Im pretty sure you want to drill it in sand so it wont crack.

3. Butch11443

Butch11443

I wrapped one in a towel and drilled it in a drill press. Then tapped it to the thread I wanted.
    Butch

4. NEWFISHER

NEWFISHER
    from Oregon

I just held the cue ball I did and started with a 3/16 and worked my way up.

5. Fly'n Kolors

Fly'n Kolors

Yeah, I think I remember seeing pool balls used for shifter knobs. Back in the day we used a drill bit and tapped to size.

6. skinnydennis

skinnydennis
    from Austin, TX

Did you use a high speed drill bit?

7. Fly'n Kolors

Fly'n Kolors

medium speed, it's softer than it looks. Drill a small pilot hole first.

8. I drilled a 7 ball to fit the shifter in my 1964 Impala SS back in the day.
    Had to drill to fit around the reverse lock out, and tap for the shaft.
    I have done many since, with just a slow drill press and a tap.

9. The last one I drilled & tapped was done on a Bridgeport mill.

I took 2 pieces of 1" x 4" wood, put a 1" hole through both in line. Then I sandwiched the pool ball between them in the vise. This held it tightly without cracking it. It was a 3/8-16 thread, which I drilled and tapped accordingly. I drilled it extra deep to give the tap lots of room. Of course I'm a sick bastard and power tapped it.

Depending on what type of jam nut is supplied with the shifter, you may need to counter bore the hole a little. Just match up what they did on the factory ball.

My brother did one years back, he made a threaded insert for his out of brass. With an external & internal thread and a hex for a wrench, way overkill.

Bob

10. i wrapped one with masking tape and chucked it in my lathe

11. 1931modela

1931modela
    from montana

I put a pool ball in a sock once and drilled a guy in the head with it.. He would later testify that it worked rather well

12. I guess there are a zillion ways to do one. If I had to do one tomorrow, I'd drill and tap it for a keensert and call it done.

Bob

13. Thats how I do them. They drill and tap easy.

14. Ranunculous

Ranunculous

Uhhh,what are billiard balls made of? I don't know and am curious.
    Composite or glued chipboard in spherical-form?

15. No idea, but it drills like a hard composite.

16. Dane

Dane
    from Soquel, CA

17. Jokester

Jokester

I drilled my 15 ball in steps to about 1/2". Then I filed it into a hex shape and JB Welded a long 1/2" nut into it. Works fine.

my 2¢

18. woodiewagon46

woodiewagon46
    from New York

I used 2 pieces of 2"x2" and cut a 90 degree notch in both. Then I ran two pieces of threaded rod between both to form a clamp and placed the ball between them and tightened it. This enabled the ball to lay flat on my drill press. I just took small bites and trilled it to about 3/4" deep and then I used a "thread adaptor" available at woodworking supplies. It's still on the car after 20 years! I like Jokester's idea also JB weld is great stuff!

19. jmpowie

jmpowie

I drilled a 13 ball a few weeks ago I had a hard time tapping it there was a powder in the middle. I ended using some jb weld to make the threads.

20. 2935ford

2935ford

Do they make the shifter top heavy? They weigh quite a bit.

21. I ve tried it but its cracked multiple times, so I ended up buying one.

22. [​IMG]High Impact resistance
    [​IMG]Because hitting the balls is the essence of the billiard game, impact resistance is a critical factor. Aramith's phenolic heat-curing process fully stabilizes material tensions. It produces a vitrified high-density surface that offers maximum impact resistance. Tests show Aramith phenolic balls to withstand to over 50 times more impacts than other polymer or polyester balls. They are also twice more scratch-resistant.
    Consequently, when intensively used even on less maintained tables, Aramith balls are clearly far less easily damaged than others by pocket fixings, table mechanisms or cue sticks...

The above paragraph I found on line.

I drilled mine by clamping it in a Jorgenson (woodworker) clamp and just drilled it using the center of one of the numbers. Ran a tap through it. Still have not pulled the threads out.

I probably got lucky with the quality of the ball I used. It was from a mid 60's AMF table the was scrapped out.

Last edited: May 23, 2013
  23. mashed

mashed
    from 4077th

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^Beating a menial task into the ground, HAMB-style.

24. I *do* know if you tag one with a .357 they disappear----

25. Scott De Shields

Scott De Shields

Got an 8 ball that was used for a title shot on a television show a few years ago. It has the number 8 manufactured on two opposing sides of the ball. I drilled it and mounted it in my 40 Ford coup so the driver or passenger are "behind the 8 ball".

26. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

I did one years ago with a masonry bit, and then used epoxy to glue it to the shaft.

27. LOL ...classic

28. Dexter The Dog

Dexter The Dog

Take a scrap of plywood and drill about a 1.5 " hole in it with a holesaw
    Clamp it to a drill press table and cover it with a piece of scrap leather that's been soaked in water.
    This makes a good saddle to grip and hold the ball when drilling.

29. Dexter The Dog

Dexter The Dog

Jeezus! Did you wreck the felt on the table?

30. COOP

COOP

Way to go...... now I gotta clean the chewed up m&m's and sprite outa my keyboard. Thanx Har Har