Register now to get rid of these ads!

New A 318 (Poly) Intake Manifold

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ajmopar, May 6, 2013.

1. Saw this on FaceBook - the Guys at Chrysler Power are working on a good intake Manifold for the 318 Poly - about friggin time!

[​IMG]

2. sunbeam

sunbeam

What are they running for a valley cover?

3. I looked at that too, but it looks like someone did a crappy job clipping that image out in photoshop - it would probably have the integral valley cover cast in.

4. mramc1

mramc1

Cool! Last one I knew that was available was from Weiand ten years ago. I had one on my '66 Poly I bought new out of Jegs in 2001 for $275. Ran it a few thousand miles then popped it off when I switched engines and sold it in 2007 on eBay for $505!

5. Yeah, the Weiand for the poly was a "interesting" design - but it was the only aluminum four barrel option up to now.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

They took the dual quad and centred a four barrel flange in the centre -
    Many have said the stock iron dual plane opened up for an AFB or Holley works much better than it does. The new one looks awesome for performance.

6. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

I did a search but couldn't find anything about it...do you have a link to the news? Info on ordering, or pre-ordering?

7. moonman29

moonman29

That almost looks like for an early hemi with a valley pan below it. I dont think its for a poly 318.

8. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

That's what I was thinking. Why would you make a new intake for an early 318 that also required a separate valley pan and a separate water crossover?

9. honeyman

honeyman
    from Steiner

THAT is good news for many MoPar buffs.

10. Guess you didn't read my reply - I believe it was a bad crop job in photoshop of this image.

Anyway, this is what Roland had to say on the face book posting

"Back to our Poly project... for those that wonder if we're really serious, you haven't known us for 42 years... We have headers, cams, and looking into a variety of CNC porting facilities that will economically fix these heads to flow with the big inches you get with the MP 4" crank and 4" pistons... (392ci!) +... infinity and beyond!!! This manifold is a prototype that we believe will work very well and produce about 500hp with a 392-408 Poly motor for less than $4995 complete!!! (Move over Gen III-Chrysler Power does it all!!!)"

11. It does look like a 331-354-392 intake, but as I said someone is bad at cropping images and the bolt pattern and water ports are different

a-318 (image upside down) Taller water ports, shorter exhaust crossover port
    [​IMG]

Hemi round shorter water ports, taller exhaust crossover port
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 6, 2013
  12. TR Waters

TR Waters
    from Vermont
    1. Early Hemi Tech

The intake pictured is a HotHeads early hemi intake.

[​IMG]

13. Abomination

Abomination

14. Interesting commentary :rolleyes:

15. 73RR

73RR

Some additional clarification with regards to the above photo.

The pic shows a combination of cast intake and fabricated valley/t-stat. This procedure is in advance of the pattern maker finalizing the product shape for casting. This also allows for double checking the general fitment of the valley to the block and for developing a machining programme for the final product.
    Yes, pre orders are filling up so if you really want one of the first 100 (at the $399 price) then you need to get busy and order.
    Yes, I am part of the design team. If you have questions feel free to ask.

Gary

16. artful dodger

artful dodger

sweet!
    now i really have no excuse not to get a poly.
    good luck on the build!

17. Gary......Is there any pic of the proposed intakes underside?..........the prototype(?) as shown has me wondering how the water gets from the thermostat housing into the water crossover/water jackets at the front........believe me am NOT being critical, am just curious and am VERY interested as the Weiand intake on my 318 Poly has got some corrosion..........are there any more pics of this intake anywhere?........also I assume that there will be a castin valley cover or does that need to be a separate fabricated piece?..........thanks......andyd

18. Abomination

Abomination

After years of good intentions from folks that backed off when they found out the difficulty of the task, holy shit, Roland and the Garys (etc) actually came through! They actually did it!

I lack the proper adjectives to describe my adulation... HELL HAS INDEED FROZEN OVER! Of course, if you're a Danté fan, you probably already knew the 9th circle (the center of Hell) was ice. And if not, get yourself some culture!

I recant everything, and stand before you humbled and in awe.

I've always rooted for 'em, but reserved judgement until I saw some results, no matter how excited I was. This is a HUGE accomplishment, and a BIG deal, folks.

One thought, though: how come this wasn't crowd sourced, through Kickstarter or the like?

Good job, guys! You did good!

~Jason

19. 73RR

73RR

Andy, as mentioned, the manifold will one-piece. The photo above is just one of the steps in the process to get the pattern maker up to speed a little faster.

Gary

20. big M

big M

Nice work, guys!!!

---John

21. TR Waters

TR Waters
    from Vermont
    1. Early Hemi Tech

I would have thought that someone would at least have ground the Hot Heads name off..... unless of course Bob is backing this.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2013
  22. 73RR

73RR

No backing, no involvement and no issues.
    Mr Walker had no interest in the project other than following the progress and went so far as to donate a manifold to the r&d process.

23. 35 Dodge Hot Rod

35 Dodge Hot Rod
    from Mecca

So the plan is to have the exact same interior runners as that other manifold?

24. 73RR

73RR

We are thinking the manifold exit ports should nearly match the stock 318 intake gasket but just a bit smaller to allow direct bolt-on to unported Poly heads. The intake runners will be properly tapered and the end port areas thick enough for port-matching to the Poly intake gaskets and then-some for the “Performance” oriented owners and those intending to install high flow ported Poly heads.

25. 53 COE

53 COE
    from PNW

Yes - You can join the kickstarter here - 100 slots filling up fast. I jumped in within a few days of learning about this Poly 318 holey grail..........

http://chryslerpower.com/webstore/Poly

:cool:

Last edited: Mar 31, 2014
  26. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

I wouldn't be surprised the similar wieand fe intake is a real dog.

27. 53 COE

53 COE
    from PNW

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 31, 2014
  28. GregCon

GregCon
    from Houston

I would have run a Hot Heads aluminum 4 barrel intake on my 354 Hemi, but the carb height is raised so much it wouldn't clear the hood.

My point being.....will this new Poly intake raise the carb? If so.....it would be a good idea to make note of it before you buy one and slam the hood.....