Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 19" Model A wheels

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Lowbuckboz, Sep 13, 2013.

1. Lowbuckboz

Lowbuckboz

Has anybody had any experience with running big an little rubber on 19" A wheels? Looking for ride feel, shakes and shimmies, etc. I have an original set that is in decent shape. They have slight wobble to them, don't see any bends. This might be as true as a factory wheel was, don't know to be honest. I'd hate to waste time and money in wheels that aren't very drivable.
    They are for a banger powered roadster, nothing neck snapping. Being built to drive at highway speeds. Thanks fellas!! Boz

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

2. jkeesey

jkeesey

From factory the wheels were perfect. Your wheels could be straightened back but it is always an expensive process when I've looked into it. Any wobble in the wheels at highway speeds will be terrible. I had 21" on mine and at 40mph it was like riding a bucking bronco.

3. I doubt the mass-produced welded spoke wheels were 'perfect'. They didn't need to be, given the speeds of the day.

Most restorers recommend no more than 1/8" of axial and radial runout. In fact, I've heard it mentioned that the factory spec was somewhere in the vicinity of 1/8". At hot rod/hop up speeds and on modern paved roads/highways, I'd aim for no more than 1/16".

You need to dismount your wheels and measure them for runout. If they're off, find better wheels...the expense/time involved straightening isn't worth it IMO; 19" A wheels are not all that rare or desirable.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2013
  4. jkeesey

jkeesey

by perfect I meant not out of round or wobbley. Ford put a lot of time and effort into their wheels but 1 smack on a curb or a big pot hole can ruin everything. Ford actually sent his companies metallurgists to France to learn how to make their wheels lighter while still retaining their strength.

5. Lowbuckboz

Lowbuckboz

Thanks guys, appreciate it.

6. I think I would consider 18 inch (1932) and 16 inch (1935) rims and ask a good tire shop how large you could go with the 18's and how small with the 16's. Both wheels look similar in appearance and take the same hub cap.

Charlie Stephens

7. Big n' little 19's. 600 x 19 Englebert rear, 475/500 x 19 front. Seemed steady enough for 900 miles or so in the past week and just over 6 miles on the beach...

[​IMG]

8. Lowbuckboz

Lowbuckboz

I'm diggin it bro! Nice car!

9. Amen & hallelujah! One of the best cars on the HAMB IMO.