Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 1940 Ford Pickup Hood

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 66L-79, Jun 19, 2023.

1. 66L-79

66L-79

I am currently working on my 40 Ford Pickup hood supports that have the springs, not really satisfied with the original setup. Just wondering if anyone has used the gas shock set up that a couple of after market companies are offering if so how did they work. Thanks Wayne

Bandit Billy likes this.
  2. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I offer no assistance, but I would like to hear the issues you are having with the springs as well as the responses on gas struts. Asking for a friend.

patterg2003 likes this.
  3. nutter_street_rodder

nutter_street_rodder
    from Nevis MN

The '40 hood was the first "alligator" style opening hood Ford made. As such they really weren't tight fitting hoods from the factory. And being a commercial vehicle probably worst than a car. I bought my '40 1/2 ton pu in 1966 and off and on have fought the excessive seams since then. Last fall I was made aware by a Ford parts vendor that the hoods used special bolts for pivoting. These were like shoulder bolts in 4 areas. I bought a set and they are still in the glove box unused. I guess this is a good wake up call to use them! DSCN1187.JPG

4. Dak Rat

Dak Rat
    from NoDak

If I'm not mistaken, starting in '37 those shouldered bolts are used on all the hinges on Ford cars & trucks.

5. tim troutman

tim troutman

some of the shoulder bolts sold for 40 hoods are to long when installed will make a nice pimple on the side of the hood. you might check depth before installing

hotrodharry2 likes this.
  6. hotrodharry2

hotrodharry2
    from Michigan

I know from experience, they are too long!