Register now to get rid of these ads!

1955 Chevy Series II Rear Axle Refurbish

Discussion in 'The Antiquated' started by TraditionalToolworks, Aug 30, 2024.

1. TraditionalToolworks

TraditionalToolworks
    from NorCal

Ok, one of you must know how these work.

I'm freshening up a 1955 Chevy Truck rear axle and stumped on how to remove the hose from the back of the Bendix brakes.

I'd rather brake, than break, so checking here first!;) The top one looks like it has some type of plastic inside, is there some special tool to hold that while I spin the nut/hose off?

bendix-hose-connector-2.jpg

bendix-hose-connector-1.jpg

Deuces likes this.
  2. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Squeeze the flare on the inside with a small hose clamp if that’s the emergency brake cable which it looks like to me. The brakes are all removed to do this the easiest!

Deuces and Andy like this.
  3. TraditionalToolworks

TraditionalToolworks
    from NorCal

@jimmy six I just took a few more pics to show it better. A friend mentioned this looked like a parking brake, but there's one on each side. I guess it's possible the previous owner swapped out a brake side, but I thought there was only one side on the parking brake???? Do you know? Here is the front/back of one side.

Would parking brake be on both sides in 1955?

back-side.jpg
    bendix-side.jpg bendix-side-2.jpg

Deuces likes this.
  4. TraditionalToolworks

TraditionalToolworks
    from NorCal

I think I see how I can undo that from the inside.

Deuces likes this.
  5. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I use a small worn fuel line clamp. The lower one shows it best. Once it gets started thru…remove the clamp. I said to remove all the brake parts because you need to pull back on the spring to remove the lead ball from the actuating brake arm.
    Originally there was a split circle set of pliers for brake mechanics to make this about a 2 second job…

SS327 and down-the-road like this.
  6. TraditionalToolworks

TraditionalToolworks
    from NorCal

Jimmy,

That yellow looking plastic 'thang was actually metal. I see what you're saying now, but almost have one side disassembled, the cable is still giving me grief.

bendix-rear-coming-apart.jpg

So there are parking brakes on both sides of the rear, huh???:oops: I learned something today.

down-the-road likes this.
  7. TraditionalToolworks

TraditionalToolworks
    from NorCal

My plan is to use the front brakes from a '56 that a guy gave me a few years ago. Those are Bendix front drum brakes, I currently have Huck brakes on the front which came with my '46.

Then with the '55 rear axle, I get Bendix brakes on the rears.

Certainly front disc brakes would be the best, but short of that the Bendix seem better than the Hucks.

I will need to cut down the driveshaft, but in the process of rebuilding everything. Previous owner of my '46 redid the brake lines and added a dual master cylinder. Starts getting hard to keep track of all the different years and parts one is using...:rolleyes:

Deuces likes this.
  8. TraditionalToolworks

TraditionalToolworks
    from NorCal

Last edited: Sep 1, 2024
  9. TraditionalToolworks

TraditionalToolworks
    from NorCal

Making more progress, have most of the bendix parts off the axle, but still stumped on that odd connector which the parking brake is on. I'm literally destroying the connector to get the cable out. I haven't horked the other one up...(thanks for your suggestions Six Ball!

brake-connector-stump-1.jpg
    more-progress-on-brakes-0.jpg
    more-progress-on-brakes-1.jpg
    more-progress-on-brakes-2.jpg

Deuces likes this.
  10. TraditionalToolworks

TraditionalToolworks
    from NorCal

Jimmy,

I'm a dip#!T, this was the answer to my problem all along. I just ordered parts to rebuild everything, 2 cables, a spring kit, 2 wheel cylinders, et al I will get hoses and other clips later, but this is the builk of it.

Is it just me or do prices vary greatly? The Filling Station is the highest ($70), Jim Carter ($40), Classic Parts of America ($20). I know I will get the same Chinese parts from the Filling Station, but them and Jim Carter usually have parts that fit. In this case I went with Classic Parts of America.

Deuces likes this.
  11. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Without “squeezing” ALL the finger at the same time you will never get the cable out. Once you get the first edge into the hole……take the clamp off……this is not rocket science.

Attached Files:

12. TraditionalToolworks

TraditionalToolworks
    from NorCal

Verified that I'm a total dip$#!T, I 'spose I'm in good company...LOL

I have but one problem left, getting the tapered bearing out of one side. One side came out, but the other side is being stubborn. I may have to apply some heat to it.

I'm done for the day, cooking some Mollejas Tacos!

13. TraditionalToolworks

TraditionalToolworks
    from NorCal

I was just being stupid about it. Hehehe

Here is my current problem, the tapered bearing doesn't want to come out of one side. I used a small crow bar on the other side and was able to wrestle it out, but this one is stuck in good.

stuck-bearing-in-axle.jpg

14. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

? Please excuse my ignorance but, I don’t understand what this has to do with my response to removing an e-brake cable.

15. TraditionalToolworks

TraditionalToolworks
    from NorCal

Nothing, other than me not understanding what you were talking about with the clamp, but I have several size hose clamps in my toolbox.

No worries, I'm working through my problems to get everything cleaned and rebuilt. I have cylinders, spring kit and most parts for the brakes, but will need to get some Bendix parts and a pair of short hoses for the brake lines. Mine had hard lines all the way up to the back plate.

jimmy six likes this.
  16. SS327

SS327

A long piece of pipe and a BFH will knock that bearing right out. Sometimes even a broom handle will work.

TraditionalToolworks likes this.
  17. TraditionalToolworks

TraditionalToolworks
    from NorCal

I was thinking just that. Last night I was measuring from the banjo and it's not that long, the entire axle is only about 50" long. News at 11:00!

EDIT: getting close, got a washer smashed and bent that was behind the snap ring. Not out of the woods just yet, but making progress.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2024
  18. TraditionalToolworks

TraditionalToolworks
    from NorCal

Got it all beat into submission! LOL

I broke a fair amount of parts getting things out, but it is quite amazing how tough those old axles are. I can clean the lips up.

1955-rear-axle-cleaned-with-persuasion.jpg 1955-rear-axle-cleaned-with-persuasion2.jpg 1955-rear-axle-fubar-broken-parts.jpg

Next step is cleaning the axle now that everything is removed. I have 2 options.

1) use this Rust Doctor product which I have never used before. This turns the rust surface into a hard magnetite coating that resists rust. Has anyone used this product before? I have a bottle of each, which should clean and coat the backplates and axle. My only reservation is I haven't used it before.

rust-doctor.jpg

2) my other choice is to use some type of etching primer for steel and spray everything with black heat paint. This is what I have done in the past and it worked well on some vintage parts.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2024
  19. TraditionalToolworks

TraditionalToolworks
    from NorCal

NOTE: I changed the title on this thread to be more generic, I will just keep posting here while I rebuild this rear axle, carrier and later the drivetrain and transmission.

This is the original pumpkin:

1955-series-2-original-pumpkin.jpg

This is the old ring, it's a 3.90:1 I have the pinion and ring. The pinion is in XLNT shape as this ring. Most of the 40s and 50s trucks had a 4.11:1 ring/pinion, so the 3.90:1 is a decent improvement. Not as good as a 3.55:1 or a 3.38:1 (with proper trans gears), but much better than original and will make a 3 or 4 speed usable on the highway. If you're interested in this set, ping me a message. I do also have an extra 3-speed Muncie transmission also, which is pretty tight.

1955-series-2-original-39-tooth-ring-gear-removed.jpg

This is the new ring on the carrier.

1955-series-2-new-44-tooth-ring-gear-on.jpg

20. TraditionalToolworks

TraditionalToolworks
    from NorCal

It is hot hot hot today...damn, it didn't used to be this hot in Cali...but it's been sweltering...next week may give some relief...I am still waiting to use the degreaser on my axle, but been a bit hot for me to get out in the heat...that axle is not fun to touch...DAMHIKT

I have a question for you hard line gurus. I have some 5/16" copper/nickel line I planned to use for my brake lines, the hard lines going up front are that size I believe. The hard line on the '55 Axle is 3/16", it looks tiny. Wouldn't it be better to have more brake fluid in the line? Trying to figure out of there is anything bad that will happen if I put 5/16" on the rear axle, the software are bigger than 3/16" I'm pretty sure...

Anyone have experience with hard lines on these vintage beasts?

EDIT: in rethinking this, the larger volume inside the line may result in less pressure, meaning a softer brake pedal that may lock up early. Can anyone confirm that? All of the OEM lines I show for a '56 (I use '56 to make sure I find Series II parts) look like 3/16" OD. I think I should play it safe. The rest of my parts won't be here until Monday/Tuesday, so I think I'll get one delivered local at O'Reilly's Auto.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2024
  21. TraditionalToolworks

TraditionalToolworks
    from NorCal

:cool:Ok, this is the test I did today on one of the Bendix back plates. I literally sprayed it on and left it. The magnetite has a durable type finish that looks kinda wet still but it's dry to the touch. They mention using a wire brush on the bottle, but I didn't want to take too much rust off, that is what it uses for the finish. I need to finish this other backplate and the axle.

dr-rust-shade-front.jpg
    dr-rust-shade-back.jpg

As a bonus, some parts came early, they were scheduled to arrive on Tues.

New wheel cylinders (right and left), parking cables (I pooched those on it), a new spring kit and parking cable boots.

bendix-brakes-new-wheel-cylinders.jpg
    bendix-brakes-cables-springs-boots.jpg

EDIT: This is growing on me, the finish seems pretty durable without elbow grease :cool:

Last edited: Sep 7, 2024
  22. TraditionalToolworks

TraditionalToolworks
    from NorCal

Now the Rust Doctor is growing on me. I am finished with the backplates and axle. I put another touch up coat on the backplates and did the axle today.

bendix-backplates-01.jpg
    1955-cleaned-up-rear-axle.jpg

I think I used about 1/2 - 2/3rds of the Grease and Rust Doctors.

23. TraditionalToolworks

TraditionalToolworks
    from NorCal

Just ordered new shoes. One plus over Huck brakes is that Bendix brake parts can still be bought from the local auto parts stores. I currently have Huck brakes on the front, but you can't get parts for those, so I had a place reline the shoes and turn them to the drums. Ordered a set from O'Reilly's Auto, will be in tomorrow.
    bendix-rear-shoes.jpg

24. TraditionalToolworks

TraditionalToolworks
    from NorCal

This is the Tee fitting that connects the left and right wheel cylinders, a quick wire wheel and 2 minutes later it looks ok to me...sans the scratches, it won't be winning any beauty contest under the truck bed...It did turn out to be brass under all that grease...LOL

I guess that's a no-win for me, I spent $25 having Classic Parts of America ship the hose and Tee fitting and me sending them back. I saved $25 on the fitting to spend it on shipping...saving grace is I will never buy from Classic Parts of America again.

rear-brake-tee-fitting-cleaned.jpg