Register now to get rid of these ads!

1956 Coolest of the low priced 3?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BeatnikPirate, Dec 8, 2010.

1. BeatnikPirate

BeatnikPirate
    from Media, Pa.

I came across this picture of the "low price 3" from 1956 and it struck me that they were all pretty cool, in their own way.
    So I wondered which one I would have chosen to buy back then and which one would I like to have today?
    Naturally a Chevy Nomad or convert V-8 is appealing. But you don't see many Plymouths now, and the Virgil Extner (George Jetson) styling and push button drive is different and cool. Overall though, I think I like the Ford. I just like the way it looks, and the sound of a T-bird Y-block is music to my ears. Plus that, my Dad had one.
    What do you think?
    Let's see pictures of your '56 if you have one. Or, if not, which do you like best, and why?

Attached Files:

• 1956.jpg
      1956.jpg
      File size:
      52.4 KB
      Views:
  2. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

My '56 is the Nomad in my avatar, so you can pretty much tell which one I would choose!

I do like both the Ford and Plymouth as well, but not as much as the Chevy.

3. belair

belair

HMMMMM.... which one WOULD I choose.?

4. xmlc216x

xmlc216x
    from MS

I know I wouldn't choose the chevy. It seems like here in MS that is the only old car you ever see anywhere on the road. I like the Plymouth!

5. Gas Giant

Gas Giant

I'm a bit biased...here is my driveable project. Its getting some new floor pans over Christmas vacation.

[​IMG]

So yeah, the Chevy is the coolest of the low priced three, if you ask me. :D

6. hell hath no Fury like the Plymouth. they were ahead of the game. but the Chrysler had over 300 horse for the second year. Ford hit 300 horse in 56 but didn't tell anyone but the NASCAR boys about their blown 312. only took Chevrolet till 1958 to top 300 horse and they were the performance leader?????

Last edited: Dec 8, 2010
  7. I gotta go with that plymouth. The trim, the two tone, all just very cool

8. xhotrodder

xhotrodder

I'm with Arkiehotrods. The 56 Chevy was a car I loved and drove in High School. I don't like the tailfins on the 56 Plymouth, but I do think the 56 Ford Victoria was cool, and the Parklane wagon is one of the hotest cars going right now. BTW, Arkie, I love your nomad.

9. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

[​IMG]

I'll add mine before it gets too out numbered.:D

10. atorsiello

atorsiello
    from New Jersey

I'm a chevy guy, I own a 55, but in 56 it was the ford that had the styling I feel is better looking.

11. I'm kinda partial to my 210. But I think you couldn't go wrong with any of them. Parts are easy to find for Chevy's but then I've not had to shop for stuff for the other two, so they may be easy to get parts for too.

This one has been in my family since day one. I've owned her for almost 17 years now. Her name is Pearl and I am deeply in love with her.

Attached Files:

12. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

Just look at what's available reproduction wise for each, and let that guide your decision. Butch/56sedandelivery(and it's a Chevrolet!).

13. the easy road doesn't make it better. just more traveled. I love 40 willy's and 32 ford roadsters but refuse to have people asking is it real.

14. This is the one I chose.
    [​IMG]

15. GaryB

GaryB
    from Reno,nv

I've had3 56 chevys.I'll have a 4th

16. Squablow

Squablow

If it has to be a 4 door, I'll take a Fairlane 4 door hardtop, those are really pretty and rarely seen. If I get to pick any model/options, I want a '56 Fury, and I want it custom ordered in anything but that stupid beige that they all were.

I do like the two-tone on that blue/black 210 2d post above. Looks nice.

17. 51 mercules

51 mercules

Here's my 56 Chevy 210 from Felix Chevrolet with 59,000 original miles.

Attached Files:

• scan.jpg
      scan.jpg
      File size:
      223.8 KB
      Views:
  18. I gotta go with the ford.

19. teddyp

teddyp

would have to be the 56 chevy in 2dr hardtop
    and 56 ford 2 dr sedan
    never care for 56 plym to me the 55 had alot cleaner lines

20. Vandy

Vandy
    from L.A. Ca

I wonder why the pic said low priced 3 ? I don't think any of the 3 are base models, I know the Plymouth isn't. My first car was a 56 Ply Plaza that was the base low price model. I drove that all through high school,I'm building one now. The Plymouth gets my vote. I liked the style in 66 and still like it today.

21. DD COOPMAN

DD COOPMAN

Back in those days, Chevy was regarded as the "least expensive" (LOW-PRICED) name in the GM line-up. Ford was also the "least expensive" of Ford, Mercury and Lincoln. Same applied to Plymouth when compared to the rest of the Mopar line-up. DD

22. oldman2

oldman2

My Dad was a Ford man through and through he would have picked the 56 Ford. I've always been and chevy guy. Have had 1 55 and 2 56's, I go for the CHEVY.

23. Spity

Spity

Gramps bought a new Buick in 56!

24. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'd have to go with a 56 Crown Vic. I had the roof for one once so I could make my own but it went away years ago. Although a 2 door wagon with a FE engine in it and a four speed or five speed would make me happy too. My buddy Keith Studdard had one when we were in trade school that gave the new super cars in town (66/67) big block cars a real run for their money when he could keep a trans in it long enough.

25. Bama Jama

Bama Jama

Ford. I didn't have a 56 but I had a 55 Fairlane in high school.

26. If I had that '56 Chevy, I would shit on it, then cover it up with the Plymouth.

27. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

<<<<< That one in the avatar

28. espo35

espo35
    BANNED
    from california

I guess I'll go with the Chevy. It looks the most like my Pontiac.

29. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

Father time has showed us which 56 is the coolest for today, after 54 years, there are many, many more 56 Chevys than 56 Fords or those ugly Mopars.
    Chevrolet U.S.A-1

30. chuckbob

chuckbob

The Plymouth, because we had one. A savoy. Great car, but it liked to rust out around the headlights.