Register now to get rid of these ads!

1960 Apache C10 - Can I pull this off?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Heckler, May 26, 2013.

1. Heckler

Heckler
    from Austin, TX

I have a very clean '60 C10 - 53,000 original miles. I got my hands on the front half of an extra hood, and got the bright idea to mirror the eyebrows down low..... I have the turn signal inserts too.

Conceptually, I think it works. Only thing is, I would rather not integrate this piece onto the front fenders. I'm sure it would look better, but I just don't want to f up the awesome panels on this truck.

So..... do ya'll think I can pull this off as a stand alone bumper kind of thing? Or will it only work if I worked it into the body?

Thanks in advance for your input!

Ben

Attached Files:

2. Normal Norman

Normal Norman
    from Goshen IN.

It kinda looks like it would make the front of the truck look huge. Like the new trucks look. Intagrated into the body might be better but I'm thinking '60s custom aka Roth et all kinda look. I'd love to see what you come up with when finished. Normal Norman

3. Used to be a HAMB truck that was done that way, the hood section was used like a valance or roll pan. Looked pretty good I always thought.

4. IRISH13

IRISH13
    from SoCal

I think if you sectioned it down to a smaller scale, it would look a little better. Right now it looks too big, but I like the idea.

5. I agree. Thin it down vertically and tuck it in tighter, keep the ends the same so they wrap farther back. I think the front of the hood needs to be even or the leading edge, just slightly(look at the angle of the side of the grill) so it doesn't look too bulky. I like it! I would also try to duplicate the horizontal grills of the main grill in the openings.

Last edited: May 26, 2013
  6. GaryC.

GaryC.

Maybe put in the back... something like this, but not exactly like this.

Attached Files:

7. tjet

tjet
    1. Early Hemi Tech

Here is a cool looking '66.

I think he's got a '60 hood & grille (or 61??)

Attached Files:

8. fordpatina

fordpatina

I agree go with the stock bumper

9. tjet

tjet
    1. Early Hemi Tech

I wonder how a later hood - '63 & up, would look on it....

10. LostHope

LostHope

11. slammed

slammed

It is disrupting the clean lines. Trying too hard to be different. Keep it simple, this gennie deserves a lowering and tasteful detailing. Save a rougher ride and really down size the mods.

12. Rick Sis

Rick Sis
    from Tulsa OK

If you try to include just a few radical design elements, it will look odd every time.

With radical custom work, it's always all or nothing. Bumper to bumper complete to the last detail, or you are just creating something that looks confused.

Your comment.... " I would rather not integrate this piece onto the front fenders. I'm sure it would look better, but I just don't want to f up the awesome panels on this truck."....... tells me that you may not be ready to commit to something this extreme.

I would suggest starting your experimenting on something that is not quite so nice.

13. eadiepbb

eadiepbb
    from london

It kinda looks like it would make the front of the truck look huge.[​IMG]

14. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I like it. Go for it.

15. harpo1313

harpo1313
    from wareham,ma

Not doin it for me ,too bulky and looks kinda catfish.A flipped stock bumper makes these trucks look good.

16. I dig it.... Now figure something out for the back...you my friend are on your way to a semi Kustom truck...the pic above is killer. I would have to cover it in a late 50's early 60's style paint scheme, some cool kustom hubcaps, and some of the trim needs a bath in a vat of chrome, go for it!

17. Not feeling it - just my 2

18. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You can't build a car or truck by committee or focus group. If you do, you end up with a modern minivan.

Last edited: May 27, 2013
    Hitchhiker likes this.
  19. BJR

BJR

Don't put it in the front, use it like a rolled pan/bumper in the rear. Put the taillights in the oval openings.

20. customcory

customcory

Bring the nostril holes up until the sheetmetal around them would be in line with the center line of the headlights. put the headlights in the nostrils, small bulbs. leave the grille opening above it plain and open. Put a 63 hood on it, and fill in the park lights on it.

21. Those trucks already look like a oddball radical treatment on the verge of wired.
    The 59 looks great! The 64 looks great.

Run a 64 hood with your current lower treatment and it will look really nice, subtle custom and more like Chevy would/should have done things if the guy in charge of 59 taillight didn't get to do 60 truck hoods.

22. realkustom51

realkustom51

From customcory.

[​IMG]

23. Brad54

Brad54
    from Atl Ga

On a moderate-to-extensively customized truck, I like the look. (though cutting up one of those hoods is a shame--they're extremely hard to come by)

On a mild truck, it doesn't work. As the only modification, it wouldn't work at all.

If you want to do something different, flip the front bumper upside down and tuck it in tighter.

Otherwise, lower it, improve the suspension and brakes, and drive it.

-Brad

24. Mooseandsqurl53

Mooseandsqurl53
    from N.J.

Gary and BJ have an idea. You have a very pretty looking truck there. I'd leave the front alone and use the stock bumper and possibly integrate it into the rear bumper area. If you don't have any, you could use the parking lights as back-up lights. Norman also has a good point, it almost makes it look like a cabover nose, too tall.

25. sololobo

sololobo

damn nice c-10, do what you like ~sololobo~

26. just like the middle rendering is exactly what I'm talking about

27. fsae0607

fsae0607

I agree. By itself I think there's too much "cat's eye" openings going on. Makes the front end look too "busy". But it's your truck, do what you pleases you.

Please don't ruin the original hood... As Brad said they are HARD to find!

28. abreed

abreed
    from carlton wa

Personally would incorporate into back use the holes as steps for bed

29. JimSibley

JimSibley

I happen to like the 60 style trucks. Everyone puts a 64 hood on them
    And to
    Me it's wrong. A 60
    Looks like a 60.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

30. NWGreaser

NWGreaser

I don't think it would compliment the existing lines of the truck at all. The stock hoods on these are already a little on the extreme side, so doubling up the eyelets just seems gratuitous to me. They would be better used on the rear. Maybe molded in vertically for tail light on a fleet side?

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!