Register now to get rid of these ads!

283/T5 in a 53 chev (yea yea I know..) with stock clutch linkage?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ryangobie, Jun 11, 2010.

1. ryangobie

ryangobie
    from Jersey

I've been searching all night for info on this. I coulda swore I read somewhere on here or chevytalk that a 55-57 bell housing puts you where you wanna be. Can anyone confirm or deny this?

2. Over on Chevy talk a guy named Tom Parsons put a SBC with a bellhousing in a 52. He kept the stock pedal setup and used a piece of chain to make up the difference in the angle. He's been running it like that since 67. Do a search of his posts and you'll see a pic of the set up. I hope this helps. Todd

Last edited: Jun 11, 2010
  3. Shizzelbamsnapper

Shizzelbamsnapper
    from Ohio

Hope this is a typo, t-5's came out in 1986-2010 T-5's are typically set up so the clutch fork is pulled instead of pushed.

You can use a Chevy T-5 behind a SBC with a factory bellhousing that pushes, but you need a few things.

If you don't want to have to modify the bellhousing you need an older Chevy T-5.. Then you need to find a Ford T-5, this way you can put the world class internals in the Chevy case. These cases have different bolt patterns to the bellhousing.

You will need to use the Ford input shaft (coarse spline like the Chevy) the Ford counter shaft and 3rd, 2nd, and 1st speed gears off of the Ford main shaft ( these need to match the counter shaft) You will use the Chevy mainshaft so your drive shaft will work without a problem. I have done this on a few 67-69 Camaro's without problems.

Chevy didn't start using the World Class trans until 93 so beware of the different years. You can tell a world class trans by the front countershaft bearing race, a world class trans will be nice and tight in the hole while a non-world class will look like a core plug installed backwards.

Hope this helps.

4. Point taken. I should have been more clear. What I was refering to was that he was using a later bellhousing and still able to use the stock clutch pedal setup. Sorry for any confusion. Todd

5. 53sled

53sled
    from KCMO

I z'ed my clutch pull rod.