Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects '36 Coupe - This is killing me!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Just Jones, Mar 24, 2010.

1. Hell yeah, that rear fender alone is worth more than the whole trailer full of scrap.

2. troylee

troylee

That could be you chance at a real 36. Buy it, pass it on if it is to big of a project for you. Worth saving for sure. Hell I would greased the dads palm and have him deliver it.

3. Just Jones

Just Jones

I know, he is legendary on the HAMB. I however, am probably the anti-Sibley, unfortunately.

Hey Jim, want to make the trip from Washitngton mountains to the SoCal Mohave Desert for a weekend to work on this with me?

4. Just Jones

Just Jones

A deal is in the works and I am moving shit around in my garage to make room.

Not sure exactly what I'm going to do yet as I have four other projects going, but I'll update everyone soon.

5. Blakmerk

Blakmerk
    from St.Joe MO

paint one side black and the other white. Then fill it with salt and pepper.

6. hotrod40coupe

hotrod40coupe

Will you have to pay extra for the holes?

7. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

that's one way to practice your welding.

8. gmans356

gmans356
    from MDR

heres some photos of mine with one bullet hole!

Attached Files:

9. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Think of how much lighter it is now, and the holes are all flared too. Some people go through heroic efforts to put flared holes in. This one is already done!

10. Just Jones

Just Jones

Wait a minute - I know that car! I've seen it several times out at El Mirage . . . it stuck in my head because I sort of thought it was the twin to my truck!

If it's the one I'm thinking of, that car absolutely KICKS ASS! It is right on the money.

So, here's my truck (it looks better now as it has black steelies on it since this picture):

Attached Files:

11. gmans356

gmans356
    from MDR

Thanks Speedyjones I like your truck also its bad ass...I love my car, I drive it everyday. Gmans

12. hotrod-40

hotrod-40

You could probably dump that 41 pretty quick to make room ;)

13. I'd hammer the "outies" down so you or someone else didn't get snagged on the ragged metal and leave it as is after removing the lettering on the side.
    Or I might lightly sand blast the entire car and variprime it inside and out but leave the bullet holes.
    I'd chrome the garnish moldings, leaving any bullet holes in them and basically build the car as if it never had bullet holes...er, except for any cloth in the interior.
    I think it could be tits!

14. booboo

booboo
    1. oHIo

if you live out in the country i say YARD ART.WITH A TREE UP THOUGH THE ROOF

15. skidsteer

skidsteer

For sale, and no rust, that's two out of three, as they say. I've got my wallet out.

16. Just Jones

Just Jones

UPDATE: Ok, so this deal got put on hold while I was away to Viva Las Vegas, but me and two other guys from the club, Hot Rod Bob and Mark, picked up the body today. And as a bonus, I found out the owner had the other rear fender.

The final price? $200 bucks.

We crammed it into the back of Bob's truck and ran.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 11, 2010
  17. Just Jones

Just Jones

So we took it home and unloaded it. Somehow, it looks horrible and wonderful at the same time.

So we stood around, talking about what we could do with this thing now that we had it, and given the condition, it pretty much narrowed it down to building a full on nostalgia drag car out of it, or as we are about an hour away from El Mirage, chopping the top big time and building a hardcore lakes racer out of it. In the next week or so we'll be dropping it on a '40 frame with all running gear and an 8BA in it just for fun, and we may have new ideas for it by then.

Either way, its going to have to wait as I have a Fairlane gasser and a '54 Triumph to finish, Bob is starting over on his Stude gasser, and Mark has a '30 sportcoupe keeping him busy. So maybe by next summer we'll have a plan. I'll make sure and do a build thread on it when we figure it out.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 10, 2010
  18. moses

moses

wow 200 dollers what a score... jeffrey

19. Just Jones

Just Jones

In the mean time, I found this picture of a fellow HAMBers coupe - its SPOT ON! What a great car. Sorry I can't remember his name. Wish I could build this hunk of crap we just hauled home to look this good!

[​IMG]

20. hellonwheels

hellonwheels

That would be Django, his dad's 3 window is bitchn' too...

21. donut29

donut29
    from canton MI

I sure hope your joking if not you are a DUMB ASS!!!

Whats the other side look like?

22. 50flathead

50flathead
    from Iowa, USA

Hang a picture of speedyjones' car on the shop wall next to it to look at when you need to take a break. Then start hammering and welding! It's gotta be easier than fixing rust!

23. panhead_pete

panhead_pete

Congrats. This is what happens when you follow up on everything you see or hear about boys. Well done.

24. 067chevy

067chevy

Nice score. Keep the progress pics coming. I have a driver side door if you need one.

25. bawahahaha... I just spit Tea all over my 'puter:eek:

-Shiny

26. pcterm2

pcterm2

dude thats cool-cool score:D:D:D

27. Midwest Rodder

Midwest Rodder

You can't go wrong at that price! Sweet score.

28. Just Jones

Just Jones

Thanks! And you're right - I really wanted to give Django credit for that awesome coupe of his, too. Really, that is more the direction i'd like to go, but this thing is SOOOOOOO rough!

By the way, Hellonwheels, your build thread kicks ass! I subscribed.

Probably, but we'll see . . . the pictures make this look much better than it is.

I have a feeling that once we drop the body on the chassis for mock up, we may move this one up on the projects list some.

29. Just Jones

Just Jones

Thanks bro, but we're set there. I'll be looking for front fenders, grill, hood, etc, but not until I get some more cash.

In the mean time I'm sorting through engines for this - a Olds 324 Rocket, 292 Y block, 301 gasser motor, 8BA flathead . . . Bob even has a 428 Lincoln (I think I have that displacement right) . . . but we have to decide what direction we want to go with it before we pick the engine for it. It helps that we had this stuff to work with already, including a nice '40 chassis.