Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical '38 front crossmember replacement

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by anteek49, Sep 18, 2013.

1. anteek49

anteek49

Taking a mk2 from the front of a '38,what '35-'40 crossmember will set it the lowest for a stock type spring?

2. The '41 pickup crossmember is deeper because of the 6 cylinder option that came out in '41, other than that, I don't think any of the other crossmembers that fit '35-'40 car/'35-'41 pickup frames will set it any higher or lower. The biggest differences are the size of holes for motor mounts and the way the radiator support pieces are made. A '41 pickup crossmember will make it sit higher, the others will put it about the same height. A reversed-eye main leaf and/or dropped axle are your best bets for lowering it. Is your '38 a Standard, Deluxe, pickup, panel truck????

3. anteek49

anteek49

This is the POS streetrod my oldest boy bought. I have the dropped axle and reversed eye spring,he wants it REAL low because he's trashing the stock fenders; building it like an early '60's New England car.....he's building a Y-block now,loosing the 5.0 too.