Register now to get rid of these ads!

54 belair trans issues

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rchiodo357, Sep 18, 2012.

1. rchiodo357

rchiodo357

So Ive got 54 belair (Automatic trans) that i finally got running. Ive had it in and out of the garage a few times but when shifting into the different gears the trans feels like its slipping or not going into gear. Im not a gearhead but im not afraid to work on it myself. Any suggestions on what the problem might be and how I can fix it?
    Thanks guys

2. birdman42

birdman42

You need to do an intro before you ask for help.That is the way we do it here.

3. 53sled

53sled
    from KCMO

1. it weighs 4 tons, so don't try and remove it alone.
    2. junk it and put in a better transmission. unless you like driving 55 everywhere.
    3. now go do an intro.

4. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Have you checked the fluid level ? always start with the basics. If fluid is clean (translucent red) and full, you may want to seek a period shop manual for trouble shooting guide. If it's been sitting a long time.....well...two things come to mind, maybe that's WHY it was parked in the first place and/or the internal seal and sealing rings are well worn and/or dried out.

Unless you are hung up on doing a restoration, a trans swap to a later GM automatic may be the best solution. Adapters are available that would permit stick shift stuff or Aluminum case Powerglide, T350, T2004R.........you could also use a T400, but that's waaay overkill. A swap like this would require replacement of your closed drive rear end, but that is fairly simple.

Ray

Ray

5. cdo1953

cdo1953

what engine and trans do you have?