Register now to get rid of these ads!

8BA rear seal help!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Diavolo, Mar 11, 2013.

1. Diavolo

Diavolo

Getting ready to put together a long ago machined 8BA and I am missing something that goes right here.

[​IMG]

Does anyone know where I can buy a replacement crank seal retainer thingy? Anyone?

2. Diavolo

Diavolo

3. Butch11443

Butch11443

Post on the Ford Barn. One of the guys can help you there.
    Butch

4. Diavolo

Diavolo

OK, now this post is just for info. I did some searching and apparently the thing is called a upper rear seal retainer and it should closely enough match the same part for a 9N tractor. Part number 91A665. Found one on fleabay and I will post back again for informational purposes if it is a close enough fit and/or works. If someone needs it I searched over there for "9N seal retainer" and found 2.

Correction: After reading the responses, the correct part # is 8BA-6335

Last edited: Mar 12, 2013
  5. Hope that works......
    If not, I may have an extra one laying around, just a matter of finding it.

6. Doctor Detroit

Doctor Detroit

You've got to be able to find one at Van Pelt, or ePay, or Dennis Carpenter, or ....

7. scrubba

scrubba

OR Antique Auto Supply , Arlington Texas ................ scrubba

8. CAL

CAL
    from Neosho Mo.

Bought one from Mac's last week. It's in their online catalog. Kinda high at sixty bucks/inc. shipping.

9. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

I'll check my stash tonight.

10. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

I'm at work and do not have my catalogs here, but I am pretty sure the 91A prefix partial number you have fits only '39-48 and the one you need carries an 8BA prefix number...I can check up on that but I'm pretty sure. Be aware also that the early ones come in two distinct flavors, one to carry a rope seal and one for the prewar slinger cranks, both capable of fitting into the '39-48 blocks to match the crank used. '49 up are rope seal only.

(PS...there are multiple versions of this basic part; I believe all of them have the PN cast into them so parts man could tell a lot of very similar ones apart.)

Last edited: Mar 12, 2013
  11. V8 Bob

V8 Bob
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Bruce is correct. I have several, and all have 8BA 6335 cast on them.

12. Diavolo

Diavolo

Wow! What a great wealth of knowledge. I'm continually amazed at how helpful and thorough the knowledge base here is. Thank you all for the responses and I hope this thread comes in handy for the next fella like me who ends up getting an important part like this cooked off in a hot tank.

I did a google search for "8BA-6335 and was taken directly to parts123 for $39.99. When I filled out the form, the vendor is Early Ford V8 sales.

Thanks all!

I will post if I can tell if there is anything different between the two parts.