Register now to get rid of these ads!

History A Bonneville Bomber

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Jive-Bomber, Sep 17, 2024 at 4:56 AM.

1. Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber submitted a new blog post:

A Bonneville Bomber

[​IMG]

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

jet996, chryslerfan55, HEMI32 and 4 others like this.
  2. Michael Ottavi

Michael Ottavi

A master work of automotive racing engineering from a former hot rod hero.

3. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I didn’t read anywhere in the article saying it started as a Devin body which I thought it did.

chryslerfan55 and tractorguy like this.
  4. Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber

Not many story on the car identify the body maker. Found a good bit of info here in the Oct '61 issue of CARS:

Caption: Moonbeam’s body is a modified Devin unit painted Moon Yellow. All bodywork was done by Odie Fellows who made sections easily removable for quick repair and maintenance through the use of Dzus fasteners. The grille is an “egg crate” section from a fluorescent lighting fixture.

chryslerfan55, tractorguy and cactus1 like this.
  5. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Very few race cars in that era started out with a Devin body, Several were rebodies with Devin bodies after they had wreck damage that would have been far too expensive to have repaired.
    According to this article https://www.undiscoveredclassics.co...oons-moonbeam-one-superfast-devin-sports-car/ the car was build from the get go with a Devin body modified by Odie Fellows. I had a Devin roadster body in the raw fiberglass back in the late 70's and they came as just a shell with no floor or actual structure.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  6. Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber

My dad had the rare factory-built Devin SS with tube chassis and a small block. Wicked power to weight ratio on that car...
    JerryWDevinSS.jpg

7. deucemac

deucemac

Just a bit of trivia about Devin bodies. They were originally built in Lancaster California at the corner of Sierra Highway and Lancaster Blvd. The building is long gone and is now the local police station.

lurker mick and chryslerfan55 like this.