Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Advice on 31 roadster build.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by GordonC, Sep 14, 2013.

1. GordonC

GordonC
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Folks I am looking for a bit of advice on my 31 roadster build. I have been fortunate enough to come up with a Brookeville 31 roadster body, 3 model A frames and a set of boxing plates, model A front suspension, model A rear suspension, complete 47 front suspension including a dropped axle, complete 46 rear suspension, f1 steering setup as well as a 46 and 47 steering setup, a number of flatheads (all in the early 50's, one is a mercury), a couple of side shift 3 speeds tranny's, a 3 speed OD trans, and a few other items for the build. My intention was to do an early style roadster with 35 wire wheels or early steelies with caps and rings, split bones, and just a simple look to the car with a basic color/interior combination.

My questions:

Should I use the model A frames as I already have them or sell them and spring for a 32 frame which if I understand correctly would let me use the 46 rear suspension as is? Is it worth the effort to convert the 46 rear to an open style to be able to use it with the model A frame?

Should I swap all the brake parts from the 47 front suspension to the model A axle (not dropped) or swap the stuff over to the dropped 47? If I do swap can I use that axle (47 dropped) with a 32 frame? I know I can get a spring from Posies to use it with an A frame but wasn't sure on the 32 frame.

Also, if I use an A frame do I buy a 32 grill and shell for a normal 32 frame or look for something that is supposed to work on A frame?

Did searches but didn't find answers to these questions. Trying to use as many parts as I have so as not to break the budget while building this car, but am willing to buy things that just make sense if it reduces the effort to build the car.

Thanks in advance to any who care to share their knowledge on this.

2. cheepsk8

cheepsk8
    from west ky

#1 you should not move ahead on this build based on ease of parts installation.It looks like you have a pretty good stash of workable parts, except for a 32 frame, which you mentioned along with a grill shell. Its all about which style car you want to end up with. Look at all the A roadsters you can and make up your mind and then you can get serious. Good luck.

3. flatout51

flatout51

The 47 suspension parts would also make your track width too wide..

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

4. flatout51

flatout51

I say use the A frame and axle have it dropped if you want... T spring in the rear on top of the axle

5. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

There are a lot of issues to address based on your collection of parts. One that I can touch on right now is that a '46 rear spring will not fit into a '32 chassis without significant modification. '32-'34 rear springs have a compound curve. The rear cross member is also curved to accommodate that. So, anything you use in a stock '32 frame needs to be modified to fit. Many folks fit a different rear cross member in a '32 frame to increase the number of compatible springs available.

6. ANSWERS TO YOUR QUESTIONS (IN CAPS):

Should I use the model A frames as I already have them or sell them and spring for a 32 frame which if I understand correctly would let me use the 46 rear suspension as is? Is it worth the effort to convert the 46 rear to an open style to be able to use it with the model A frame? THE LOOK OF THE '32 VERSUS THE MODEL A FRAME IS SOMETHING YOU NEED TO DECIDE FOR YOURSELF. ONE GOOD THING ABOUT THE MODEL A FRAME IS THAT IT IS NOT USED AS MUCH AND WILL LOOK LESS "COOKIE CUTTER". A TRIP TO SEVERAL CAR SHOWS MIGHT BE IN ORDER. THE 46 REAR END CAN'T JUST BE USED "AS IS". THE TORQUE TUBE WILL NEED TO BE SHORTENED FOR ETHER FRAME. THE '46 SPRING WILL NEED TO BE GROUND TO FIT IN THE STOCK '32 CROSS MEMBER. THE '46 REAR WILL BE A LITTLE WIDE BUT IF YOU ARE FENDERLESS IT SHOULD BE OK. THE BIG PROBLEM YOU WILL FACE IS THAT THE '32 FRAME KICKS UP IN THE REAR AND THE MODEL A FRAME IS FLAT. I THINK SOME OF THE AFTERMARKET '32 FRAMES ARE BUILT TO SOLVE THIS PROBLEM OTHERWISE YOU WILL BE DOING SOME BODY WORK TO GET THE BODY TO FIT ON THE FRAME. IF I REMEMBER CORRECTLY THE STOCK '32 FRAME WILL NEED TO BE PINCHED TOGETHER IN THE FRONT TO FIT THE MODEL A BODY. THIS MAY HAVE ALSO BEEN SOLVED WITH THE AFTERMARKET FRAMES. A STOCK '32 FRAME WILLL TAKE A STOCK EARLY V8 TRANSMISSION AND HAS A PLACE TO MOUNT THE BRAKE AND CLUTCH PEDALS WHICH WILL BE A PLUS.

Should I swap all the brake parts from the 47 front suspension to the model A axle (not dropped) or swap the stuff over to the dropped 47? If I do swap can I use that axle (47 dropped) with a 32 frame? I know I can get a spring from Posies to use it with an A frame but wasn't sure on the 32 frame. I WOULD JUST SWAP THE BRAKES TO THE MODEL A AXLE AND RUN IT WITHUT A DROP. WHEN YOU DROP THE AXLE YOU NEED TO START WORRYING ABOUT TIE ROD AND WISHBONE CLEARANCE PROBLEMS. ALSO NOTE THE '46 IS CROSS STEERING AND THE MODEL A AND F1 TRUCK STEER PARALLEL TO THE VEHICLE'S CENTER LINE.

Also, if I use an A frame do I buy a 32 grill and shell for a normal 32 frame or look for something that is supposed to work on A frame? GRILL SHELL SHOULD BE THE SAME.

Did searches but didn't find answers to these questions. Trying to use as many parts as I have so as not to break the budget while building this car, but am willing to buy things that just make sense if it reduces the effort to build the car.

ALSO REMEMBER YOU NEED TO RUN ADAPTERS (SPACERS) WITH THE '35 WIRE WHEELS ON THE '40-'48 HYDRAULIC BRAKE DRUMS. BE SURE TOWORK THE REGISTRATION PROBLEMS KEEPING IN MIND THAT STOCK FRAMES HAVE SERIAL NUMBERS AND REPRODUCTION ONES DO NOT.

Charlie Stephens

Last edited: Sep 14, 2013
  7. GordonC

GordonC
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks guys! This is the kind of info I was after. I have been to plenty of car shows and seen god knows how many iterations of each type of car, and I like the model A frame done properly as much as a 32 frame done well. So it wasn't I can't decide which type to build but more the what things will I run into if I do the model A frame as opposed to the 32 frame. Granted there will need to be modifications to a lot of things while building this, but was trying to use most of what I have if possible.

Good stuff tho! Thanks and keep it coming!

8. Chuck R

Chuck R

9. Murocmaru

Murocmaru
    from Van Nuys

Both the 32 and the Model A frame will work. It's a matter of personal preference. Go to the thread about model A roadster highboys on model A frames and that will give you a bunch of examples.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=322162&highlight=model+highboys+on+frames

You're going to have to do some modification either way. For the Model A frame, you're going to change the crossmember so that you can get the flathead V8 and transmission in there. Most guys use either a 32 ford K member or an F-1 crossmember. Both will give you a mount for you're brake pedals and a place to mount you're wishbone if you choose not to split the wishbone.

With the 32 frame, a lot of guys don't like the small gap between the body and the top of the frame. They either channel the front of the cowl a little bit, and modify the rear subframe of the body, or they add a strip of wood between the body and frame. Guys will also pinch the frame inward a little bit to make for a better fit on the body.

Either way, it's what style you like.

Also, use those brakes you have. Just take them off the axle and use the spindles and brakes on the Model A axle

10. pitman

pitman

If the A frame works for your eye, then between three of them hopefully you can build one sound platform. I would box it, and get a sense of the final ride height you're after.

11. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Lots of these guys know a whole lot more about it than I do, but I can add a little.

My personal preference: '32 frame for a hiboy, and Model A frame for a channeled car.

The '32 frame doesn't have to be pinched to fit the '30/'31 body...the body is just wide enough at the cowl. Most like to pinch it for the narrower '28/'29 body, 'cause there'll be just a little bit of frame stickin' out if you don't. But even there, some don't mind or bother about it.

Ya gonna have fenders or not? With fenders...basically, you have to use the Model A frame. Fenderless, no problem either way.

Sounds like most of what I've said is moot though...since you like the Model A frame.

12. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Btw. No matter which frame you use, an X member will really stiffen it up.
    As opposed to just ladder-style crossmembers.

13. Chuck R

Chuck R

There are a couple advantages to a 32 frame, the wheel base is about 3" longer which gives you a little more room in the engine compartment. Also the rails are wider and deeper which gives you a little more room to run the exhaust system and assorted stuff. The 32 frame is beautiful with its curves and details. All that being said when I look at a highboy model A on an A chassis they seem to be a more traditional build in my eyes. More like what a young man might have done when he returned from the war in the 40's. Either way you won't be disappointed.

14. dsiddons

dsiddons
    from Indiana

Everyone uses a 32' Frame it seems. Truth is most 32' frames back then were still under 32' cars and they didn't repop frames yet. I personally like the A frame. But if you want to be like everyone else go with the 32' rails. Sounds like you have enough to get a badass traditional car going. Good luck! Here's my pile of shit on a A inboxes frame. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1379193633.693445.jpg

15. GordonC

GordonC
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Great stuff! Checked out the links and looked at ALL the mighty fine A roadsters on A frames! Was planning on running the car fenderless. Already has a 2" chopped windshield on it and louvered rumble lid with 48 (I think) Chevy tail lights. Not crazy about Chevy stuff on my Ford but they do look good. All this info is making me lean toward using the A frame, and since I have 3 of them already I should be able to use the best parts from each. Not sure on the cross member tho as the 32s are pretty pricey so that will be something I will need to work on.

Great info guys! Thanks for taking the time to comment.

16. dsiddons

dsiddons
    from Indiana

Vern Tardel sells 32' crossmembers. F1 crossmemebers work well to. Get the book How to build a traditional Ford Hot Rod. Very good shit

17. GordonC

GordonC
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks! I have a copy of that book as well as a few others on flathead building but books many times are written at a level that doesn't address someones particular situation. The postings here have already taught me stuff that wasn't in the book, things I probably wouldn't have known until I tried to assemble things the wrong way and wasted my time. I do appreciate every ones input tho!