Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects All The Twos: 1962 Mercury, 352cui, 2bbl, Too Many Doors.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Oneball, Oct 28, 2023.

1. Oneball

Oneball

Race car is fixed and we made it to the circuit in time for qualifying.

I guess that hub decided it had had enough after 100 years!!
    IMG_8911.jpeg

2. wheeltramp brian

wheeltramp brian

Car is looking good

Oneball likes this.
  3. Oneball

Oneball

Just caught the guy in second place and the fuel feed to the carb came lose and I had to park the Austin 7 :(

Like many circuits in the UK Snetterton was an airbase in WW2
    rsd88Rg-0%21sizeoriginal.jpeg

4. Oneball

Oneball

Made it home. About 5 hours across the country.

With a stop and Duxford for a photo
    IMG_9058.jpeg

And Caffeine and Machine for lunch.
    IMG_9065.jpeg

Few things to sort, might need to put some richer jets in the carb

IMG_9074.jpeg

And the brakes take way more effort than they should do, I’m not convinced the booster is working

5. Oneball

Oneball

I’ve had a look at the brake booster. I pulled the vacuum line and went for a drive and the brakes felt the same. So to me that means it’s probably a booster issue but all the tests you can do on a booster come back as ok, no leaks, adequate vacuum, holds vacuum, depletes stored vacuum when you pump the pedal with the engine off and if you hood the pedal and start the car it drops a bit.

I removed the booster as the old one had a leak you could hear when you turned the engine off. But the pedal feel is exactly the same. I’m wondering if there something worse it could be??

6. Oneball

Oneball

Had all the drums off and other than one guide plate for the automatic adjusters not sitting quite right on the left rear I can’t find anything obvious with the brakes so I’ve ordered another booster.

bobss396 likes this.
  7. Oneball

Oneball

Fix one leak and another appears.
    IMG_9559.jpeg

Can’t quite workout where it’s from. Top of the engine seems dry so don’t think it’s intake or valve covers. Behind the bellhousing cover seems dry so don’t think it’s rear main which leaves sump. But it leaks when stationary, is the oil level higher than the top of the sump in an FE? I guess it could be with the skirted block.

8. GeeRam

GeeRam

The airfield was built in 1942 by the same construction firm I stated my first job at back in 1980.:cool:

Oneball likes this.
  9. GeeRam

GeeRam

Nice shot with TFC's F-8 Bearcat in the background :cool:

61Cruiser and Oneball like this.
  10. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Tim... I had the same issue and I gave the oil Pan bolts a Nudge..... They seemed a tad wet after a drive.... I haven't had an issue again. just a thought...

Oneball and guthriesmith like this.
  11. Oneball

Oneball

Forgot to mention I did that a week or so ago, they did seem a touch lose but it’s not helped.

I’m wondering if I can remove the sump without lifting the engine out.

12. Oneball

Oneball

Put the new reconditioned brake booster on that I got last week
    IMG_9569.jpeg

Same as the other new one, 1970 F150, shortened the threaded part of the rod as before and I’ve now got proper power brakes. Granny could get behind the wheel!

Im well chuffed with that as I couldn’t think what else it could have been despite all the booster “tests” coming back ok. It weird as the last time I fitted a booster was to the Vette and I had issues with that, it went back to the supplier and they said it was ok. Eventually I just bought another and it fixed the problem on that too.

61Cruiser and Algoma56 like this.
  13. Oneball

Oneball

Pretty sure it’s the sump gasket that’s leaking. The flex plate is dry, the cover is wet and it looks like I’ve crushed the gasket at the rear somehow. I’ve ordered some oil now it’s had 500 miles on the running in oil and we’ll see how long it takes to get the sump off an FE!!!
    IMG_9649.jpeg

61Cruiser likes this.
  14. Mart

Mart

Well done. The car looks great out and about. It looks to be in excellent condition.

Oneball likes this.
  15. Oneball

Oneball

Waiting on oil pump gaskets before I try changin the sump. Also one of the from hub dust caps has gone for a walk :( someone obviously didn’t put it on properly after checking the brakes :rolleyes:

Tow Truck Tom, 61Cruiser and bobss396 like this.
  16. I find that they have to be "egged" so them stay in place. The chromed ones are notorious for taking flight.

Oneball likes this.
  17. Oneball

Oneball

Sump off. Gasket has definitely failed at the rear.
    IMG_9824.jpeg

Truckdoctor Andy and bobss396 like this.
  18. Oneball

Oneball

Sump back on with a new gasket.
    IMG_9827.jpeg

19. At least the pan drops out easily on those.

Algoma56, Oneball and Jeff Norwell like this.
  20. Oneball

Oneball

21. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Can the Pan rail be possibly warped Tim?

Oneball likes this.
  22. Oneball

Oneball

I had a hammer and dolly on it and put it on my steel bench to make sure it was straight. I’m wondering if it’s got a rear main seal leak or those silly rubber strips aren’t right, and it’s just not covering the flex plate in oil.

Tow Truck Tom likes this.
  23. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

I use that Permatex product "The Right Stuff".... really works well..Not sure what you used... but this back n forth is a PIA!
    Trust me.I know!

bobss396, Tow Truck Tom and Oneball like this.
  24. Oneball

Oneball

I used Right Stuff last time I used Rolls Royce Blue this time as it stays flexible.

Tow Truck Tom likes this.
  25. Smokeshow

Smokeshow

Sorry to see your recent FE troubles. Keep at it though. This is a really nice car. Not easy to find in that kind of shape. I would love to find a nice 4 door cruiser like this :)

Oneball likes this.
  26. Oneball

Oneball

Thanks. Will do. Just can’t think why it’s leaking at the moment. Will get some gaskets and pull it off again. Might bolt the sump back up without a gasket and do some checks with a feeler gauge.

27. Oneball

Oneball

After going to the garden centre yesterday to get compost I pulled a plug.
    IMG_9878.jpeg
    I’d gone up 2 thou on the jets as I thought it was a little lean but have put the original ones back in.

I’ve also bought a rev counter, mainly for diagnostic purposes as it’s usefully when fiddling, but also, one day, it might need it :)
    IMG_9881.jpeg IMG_9882.jpeg IMG_9880.jpeg
    It’s a Bosch one and I’m quite impressed by the quality it’s a steel case and pod.

Tow Truck Tom and bobss396 like this.
  28. Oneball

Oneball

Stuck a camera up it’s bum. Think it’s the rear main seal that is leaking, I’m surprised the flex plate is dry but there you go.
    IMG_9883.jpeg

29. Aaron65

Aaron65
    from Michigan

I feel your pain! My '63 T-Bird 390 has almost the same leak as yours. I didn't build the engine, but I did remove the intake a couple weeks ago to seal that up. It still has oil on the bottom of the bellhousing though. In my mind, an old car is going to leak if you drive it for long enough, so if it's not an obnoxious blotch on the driveway, I let it drip. I have eight old cars, and almost all of them have at least one drip from somewhere.

Good luck whatever you decide! I've enjoyed watching your progress.

Oneball likes this.
  30. Oneball

Oneball

This is more of a leak than I’d be happy to leave, it’ll coat the whole of the transmission after about 20 miles.