Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects All The Twos: 1962 Mercury, 352cui, 2bbl, Too Many Doors.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Oneball, Oct 28, 2023.

1. It might help to remember that HAMB era cars were built during a time when it was common for drip pans to be placed underneath them when new in the showroom.
    :rolleyes:

williebill likes this.
  2. Oneball

Oneball

I’ve owned one car or another from the sixties my entire adult life. I don’t mind the odd oil drip but this is really quite bad.

Tow Truck Tom likes this.
  3. Oneball

Oneball

Got the tacho mounted, just need to finish the wiring off in the engine bay.
    IMG_9906.jpeg

bobss396 likes this.
  4. Pontmerc

Pontmerc
    from Finland

Thanks to you, i know the oil pan will go out when engine is in place.
    Thats get me motivated to paint the block and lift that engine trans combo in its natural habitat. 17215131233154962936071212889134.jpg 17215132307017160347908579981620.jpg

bobss396 and Oneball like this.
  5. Oneball

Oneball

You can do it without removing the oil pump too. You just have to get the crank in the right position so the rear clears the crank as you angle it passed the pump.

6. How hard is it do the rear main with the engine in the car? Still hard to get your game-face on to do it regardless.

7. Oneball

Oneball

Can’t be that hard once the sump is off o_O

They’re the half moon type so should just slip in after pulling the cap. Then you’ve got the daft strips and pins to seal the sides of the cap to the block skirt.

One of the guys I race with has a Thunderbolt and did it in the car a couple of weeks ago so it’s doable.

IMG_7683.jpeg

Tow Truck Tom and bobss396 like this.
  8. Pontmerc

Pontmerc
    from Finland

Just my opinion:if you install rope type seal dry and too tight it will burn its sealin face pretty quickly and wont seal any more.
    In car seal change i soak the rope with oil and pull it in its place with mig wire.

9. Oneball

Oneball

I’ve got a rubber lip seal.

10. Pontmerc

Pontmerc
    from Finland

Did you install it dry?

11. Oneball

Oneball

No. Oiled the surface where it touches the crank as usual. Nothing different to the hundreds of other seals I’ve done. Crank surface was ok too

12. Nice to have a helper lined up...:D:D:D

Oneball likes this.
  13. Oneball

Oneball

Finished making a loom for the tacho

IMG_9939.jpeg

And it moves!
    IMG_9946.jpeg

Tow Truck Tom likes this.
  14. Oneball

Oneball

Sump off. Doesn’t look like the gasket has failed this time.
    IMG_9949.jpeg

Hopefully get a rear main seal tomorrow.

bobss396 and anthony myrick like this.
  15. Oneball

Oneball

Sump back on. Looks like a blob of sealer had got on the lip seal as there was a fair bit of debris around it. The lip seal isn’t the tightest fit in the groove so if this doesn’t work I’ll have to pull the engine and put a rope seal in

IMG_9965.jpeg

bobss396 likes this.
  16. Flatrod17

Flatrod17

Or just lay a thin piece of shim stock behind the seal in the cap. Done that many times on loose seals.

Oneball likes this.
  17. Oneball

Oneball

Hi Dennis.

It’s the other way it’s loose-ish. Fore-aft. It’s like the groove is 20 thou too wide.

18. Flatrod17

Flatrod17

May be the wrong seal? if that were the case I would "Right Stuff" it in place.

bobss396 likes this.
  19. Oneball

Oneball

It says it’s the right one on the package and it came with the side seals. Maybe it’ll be fine, I’m always optimistic!!

bobss396 and Tow Truck Tom like this.
  20. Oneball

Oneball

Wanted to change the vacuum actuator on the gearbox as it doesn’t quite change down when I think it should but can’t get a spanner in there for love nor money, trying to work out a way to do it but it sits above the cross-member and there’s not the angle.

Taking my folks out on Wednesday evening so thought I’d give it a wash and wax

IMG_0545.jpeg

21. Pontmerc

Pontmerc
    from Finland

For that job you just have to sacrifice one spanner and cut it half.
    Been there, done that.

Oneball likes this.
  22. Pontmerc

Pontmerc
    from Finland

Have you try to adjust the original modulator?
    At vacuum hose inlet there should be small slothead screw.
    Turning in makes later shift points/earlier downshift.
    Does it not downshift when wot?
    Then adjust kickdown lever.
    These are designed to keep third pretty late when cruising slow and part throthle.
    Like when you came intersection and dont completely stop, it will stay in third.

Oneball likes this.
  23. Oneball

Oneball

Kickdown works fine, it doesn’t always seem to change down when you come to a stop. That’s the only bit that I find odd. I was wondering if the 60 year old diaphragm is hard. I thought it’d be a 5 min job to swap it out and see!!

guthriesmith likes this.
  24. Oneball

Oneball

Been to the local evening car meet.
    IMG_0587.jpeg

It’s about 20 miles away and so far the rear oil seal and sump is looking ok. IMG_0589.jpeg

Few HAMB friendly pics.
    IMG_0586.jpeg IMG_0582.jpeg IMG_0566.jpeg IMG_0560.jpeg IMG_0564.jpeg

williebill, RMR&C, bobss396 and 3 others like this.
  25. patsurf

patsurf

Oneball and 61Cruiser like this.
  26. OR... look up flat bicycle wrenches. Those have saved me a few times in the past.

27. Oneball

Oneball

I’ve got a 19mm crows foot I’ll try, think it needs grinding down to fit though.

bobss396 likes this.
  28. Oneball

Oneball

Not been entirely convinced about the way it accelerates since putting the 2bbl back on to sort the intake leak. Thought I’d have a bit more of a dig. Turns out a wanker set the ignition timing :oops: No idea what I did, it’s not like I’m new to this. Anyway it had got basically 0 degrees of advance at idle. So I’ve set it up for 36 degrees max mech advance and it now picks up its skirts and flies off the line. I’m well chuffed. Get the AC running and it’ll be perfect till the winter.

29. Good catch! Do you know what your initial timing is now? If you added 10° initial timing you should see a noticeable increase in manifold vacuum at idle in neutral. Better throttle response as well, and maybe even an improvement in how the trans shifts in drive.

Hope you catch the knucklehead who set your timing at 0°. Be sure to give him a bit of a thrashing . . . :p
    :rolleyes:

61Cruiser and Oneball like this.
  30. Oneball

Oneball

I think I’ve got around 12 deg advance at idle now. I was thinking about vacuum and the trans too. Really want to go for a proper drive but the sister in law is here for the weekend.

I’m wondering if there’s going to be a third idiot involved after this and not having full throttle on the Vette for who knows how long!!

ClayMart likes this.