Register now to get rid of these ads!

Alternator mounts SBC 265 manifolds

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ryangobie, Jul 9, 2011.

1. ryangobie

ryangobie
    from Jersey

Been searching and searching and most info I find concerns the rams horns. I put a 283 into my 53 chevy and i'm trying to finish it up. I'd like to use the ears on the drivers side 265 exhaust manifolds I've used. I've gathered that with standard rams horns you can just get the stock mid 60's brackets and bolt it up but what I need to know is whether the ears on the 265 manifolds are in the same location as the rams horns and whether the early alternator brackets will bolt right up or whether I'm better off making stock looking brackets. Cheers.

2. propwash

propwash
    from Las Vegas

think they're the same...after all, the brackets were originally crafted for headers, so the spacing would have been the same for 265/283. What you won't need is the horseshoe shaped bracket that straddles the exhaust outlet for #1 cylinder. You should be able to use the bracket that bolts TO the horseshoe part as I've never seen one that didn't accomodate the spacing between generator endplates, yet still having the proper mounting bolt hole location.

dj

3. squirrel

squirrel
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I think the 6 cylinder alternator bracket used from around 1963 on up to the mid 70s will almost bolt on...but the holes are off a little bit. You should be able to trim it to fit. Or get the chrome aftermarket equivalent.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-G4050/

4. aaggie

aaggie

Check with Alan Grove at www.agcbracket.com. They make great stuff that fits and the prices are pretty good.

5. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If you have a manifold similar to this one
    [​IMG] you can most likely use the stock generator bracket by cutting a spacer to take up the space between the ends of the bracket and the alternator and using a long 3/8 bolt through the whole thing. I did that on a 235 and it works pretty well.

6. squirrel

squirrel
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

He might have this one, but either way that's a good idea.

Attached Files: