Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Any Henry Js in the House?? Pictures??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by plodge55aqua, Jan 16, 2009.

1. proenfo, thanks for the pics of henry's henry.

littleman, i noticed that "henry's henry" has street tires and plates. can this type of front end be made street/highway friendly? what about the engine setback? how would that make the car handle? looking at the front end set up, he used a "dropped" tube axle and dipped the frame down to it. would that drive better than running the frame straight across and using a straight axle? he also isn't running any front brakes, could you use some over sized disc in the rear to compensate?

[​IMG]

2. Two of my favorites

Attached Files:

3. acpat likes this.
  4. beatnik

beatnik

a few

Attached Files:

5. Little brother's.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. plodge55aqua

plodge55aqua
    from Alberta

Heres My Project.. Its Beat.. But its a start.. I knew it was mine after I slid my arm accross the broken glass on the drivers door window.. Dang,, talk about pain.. Long story short.. this is what I have.. Nothing like what you all have posted.. those henry Js are stunning..
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

:)

7. plodge55aqua

plodge55aqua
    from Alberta

Heres another 51 I had started on back in 1988..this was in about the same condition as what I have now.. this went through a 4 inch chop.. and a Mustang 11 front clip. I wish i still had this one. but all I have left is this picture..
    [​IMG]

Thanks for looking.. :)

8. WZ JUNK

WZ JUNK
    from Neosho, MO

This is the one that Hooley and I built last year. It ran a small block last year but it will have a big block this year. We plan to run at the NHRA reunion Bowling Green this June.

Attached Files:

9. Here's a few more from my Rod 'n Race Fiberglass files. Virtually all are customer cars with our parts.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 18, 2009
  10. flatheadgary

flatheadgary
    from boron,ca

i have shown this many times, but what the heck! i don't drive it much anymore (can't afford the cost with all the cars i own). drove it for 4.5 years everyday. only car at the time. been in down pours of rain, hail storms, sand storms, snow storms and even clear sunny days!! used it for everything you could imagine. i moved my house and garage with the flatbed trailer for my race car, towed my trash to the dump, took the wife out to swanky eateries with it and tow my race car with it.
    i have never known anybody else, that will use a car this altered, to do all the things i have done with this one.
    327sbc, pg, 9" ford rear, straight axle, drum brakes all around and engine is set back.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    as that one is my street car this one is being built as the drag car.
    [​IMG]

11. plodge55aqua

plodge55aqua
    from Alberta

Flathead Gary.. what tires sizes are you using on the White Driver? LOL.. Nice Combination of cars.. I havent seen these before.. Very Cool..

12. flatheadgary

flatheadgary
    from boron,ca

the fronts are 165.15's and the rear is a 33.00 x 10.5 x 15 bfg Goodrich. they are all HEAVEN FORBID radials:eek::eek: i know it throes off the real nostalgia theme but, i needed a tire for all the reason i said. if i hadn't planned on using it for all the things i did, i would've just used bias ply and cheater slicks, if all i did was to go to cruises and such.
    i can drive this thing in any kind of weather, i can go around off ramps that are rated at 35, at 55, and it never gets away from me. i have used it for a 4 wheeler on rocks for miles.
    one thing nobody has said that i have found on an axle car (this is by no means my first), the twin elliptical sprung front is more stable than a regular buggy sprung type on the street.
    with the single spring, when you go into a turn, the body wants to roll on the single spring perch. which is exactly what Henry designed it to do.
    i would imagine that is why everybody went to twins for trucks and such.
    the twin spring will resist this better and stay flatter in the turn.
    the Chevy's and Mopar cars used twin leaf too. on a good road i suppose they rode better than a Henry but, on bad roads it was probably not much different.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2009
  13. I only wish I had one, maybe some day. I took this pic at Pomona Finals parade in November

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

here are a couple that I owned...one a pro-street car and the other stock

Attached Files:

osage orange likes this.
  15. rodknocker

rodknocker

Here's one I saw at the Syracuse Nats. gorgeous car

Attached Files:

16. Von Hartmann

Von Hartmann

Here's some pictures I have accumulated over time. Kokomotion is probably my favorite henry j. It ran a small block chevy with injection.

The vail conkling shosie bros. j ran an aluminum headed 426 hemi with injection, I know where the remains of that car are.

Attached Files:

29EHV8 likes this.
  17. Here you go !

Attached Files:

18. flatheadgary

flatheadgary
    from boron,ca

OK, here is my question. with all the J's built as Gasser's and all the stock ones in clubs, did any of these cars get scrapped?
    i mean, if you look at the record they didn't build that many of these.
    they also didn't start making them in 'glass until just recently.
    it's almost like none of them got scrapped or the majority of them are still around.
    i still see them on occasion for sale.

19. plodge55aqua

plodge55aqua
    from Alberta

I think all the Henry Js and Allstates were saved to make Hot rods out of.. I got my 51 from a rock pile.... Mine is Rough.. But worth my time to do... every thing in the farm yards are getting crushed up here.. its a darn shame..

Thanks for all the pictures.. and descriptions..

Kool cars every one..

:)

20. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

Where you living on Oglethorpe st in Hyattsville Md. when you were building this? One of my earliest hot rod memories was the Henry J that a guy up the street was building into a roadster. I can't remember any of the details. I can only remember that the over all look of it just flowed. I have no idea if it ever got finished but I have always hoped that I'd find it someday.

21. MCINK

MCINK
    from EASTRIVER

I had posted photos of this car under construction last year, cant seem to find that thread
    today. Here is the car at the "Winterfest of Wheels" car show in Sioux Falls, SD.
    Built by Roger Burman at Lakeside Rods in Iowa. Not exactly HAMB material, but an exercise in custom car building...

[​IMG]

22. captain_crud

captain_crud

Here's my Henry J......had it for around 3 years....maybe I'll get hot on it soon. I just finished another Barracuda project, so maybe soon. Why are there so many J's in this condition?!!........it's amazing!

[​IMG]

23. Ford Freak

Ford Freak

Just saw this one on e-bay......

24. captain_crud

captain_crud

I know!......I've had it for 3 years and haven't done anything to it, so I just threw it on to see what would happen. It only went up to about $850 or so. I guess I'll just keep it until I can fix it up.

25. bwj

bwj
    from michigan

here's my picture of my henry j.[​IMG]

26. plodge55aqua

plodge55aqua
    from Alberta

Im just waiting for the temp to warm up just a little more.. Ill be starting my project very soon..

Captain Crud. the Js in nice shape..

Thanks for all the pictures.. Its gave me alot of ideas for my Project..

Hope you all dont mind me asking questions.. I may have a few through out all this..

27. full house Mouse

full house Mouse

Thanks Guys love them J's

28. Scottrodsllc

Scottrodsllc
    from ohio

Attached Files:

29. 51 Hemi J

51 Hemi J

I have always loved the stance of this ride!