Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Australia Trip with Pics!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by guthriesmith, Nov 3, 2023.

1. My daughter doesn't eat it. But my son took vegemite sandwiches to school every day for 12 years.

2. twenty8

twenty8

Thanks mate, but don't tell everyone or they'll all want to come...........;)

Outback, Okie Pete, hrm2k and 6 others like this.
  3. e1956v

e1956v
    Alliance Vendor

Ditch the coworkers head to Yamba, you see those folks(coworkers) all the time. They know you’re a car guy and should understand. You might not get this chance again. When guys from Australia and all over Europe post pictures of their country get togethers I’m always amazed at the quality of the cars, passion for the hobby when they face far more difficulties and expense to build their cars.
    I say Yamba Damba Doo it my friend.

4. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

^^^^^What he said! Run, don't walk to Yamba. You may never get this chance again.

5. e1956v

e1956v
    Alliance Vendor

Yamba Damba Dooo! IMG_3588.jpeg

6. YOU HAVE YOUR ANSWER, man. We expect a lot of pictures.

Ben

Okie Pete, alanp561, j hansen and 2 others like this.
  7. noboD

noboD

While you are there find out why Aussies and kiwis don't like each other. I have friends in both countries and have noticed they can't stand each other even though they have never met. What's up with that?

hrm2k likes this.
  8. If you can, google the event organizer for contact info then call them or send an email telling them you are a visiting american. Perhaps they know a participating car club member near you they can reach out to facilitate a ride to the event. I spent 2+ months in Australia in '96 and found everyone to be friendly and accommodating, wanting to show me around the country and have more authentic Australian experiences - like eating kangaroo & croc meat, and inviting me to a backyard wedding (that was a party!)

Enjoy!

Last edited: Nov 9, 2023
  9. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The Aussies don't have the All Blacks rugby team or Supercar Champion Shane van Gisbergen! ;)

10. If all else fails, rent a car for the day. Especially if only going for the day. Most if not all people going to Yamba will be staying multiple nights so snagging a last minute day tripper may be difficult.

hrm2k, chryslerfan55 and guthriesmith like this.
  11. Yea, I looked at renting a car last night and that seems to be the lowest cost way to get there and back. One issue is the times that the rental place is open for pick up and return of the car but I suspect I can work that out. Taking an Uber was what I would consider stupid money by the time you pay for both ways. Anyway, thanks for the ideas guys. I’m trying to get it worked out.

Also, I have only driven a RHD car once in Uganda and didn’t really deal with much traffic or roundabouts. So, that could be somewhat of an adventure in itself as well. I’m sure Google maps at least makes the trip a little easier. :D More to come…

12. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

o_OAnd none of those guys you're working with like cars:eek:? What's wrong with them:rolleyes:?

Outback, just Matt, SS327 and 4 others like this.
  13. You know…the guys I work with at least understand that I like cars and get that I want to do the rod run over the Gold Coast. But, strangely enough none of the Aussies other than guys here understand why I would rather do that. Pretty sure they think I am nuts wanting to look at cars vs. the sights at the beach if you know what I mean. :rolleyes:

Oh, and one other thing that just seems strange to me is ordering coffee down here. Hard for me to remember to order a “long black” and I honestly am not sure what a “flat white” even is yet. :rolleyes: But, pretty sure those terms have a different meaning in the states. :eek:

14. e1956v

e1956v
    Alliance Vendor

You'll do fine, just remember to drive on the wrong side of the road, I mean the right side of the road, the left side of the road, crap you know what I mean.

Outback, USMercUte, loudbang and 3 others like this.
  15. Funny enough, watching the movie Worlds Fastest Indian is what I think of when it comes to driving wherever. The driver is supposed to be in the middle of the road so that just changes based on which side of the car you are driving from. Makes sense…sort of…until the first time I pull through a roundabout or into a parking lot or something. :eek:

16. Rodsports

Rodsports

Mate, if you google

Yamba hot rod run contact

it will come up with an email address and mobile phone number for BorderLine Street Rodders and a mobile phone number for the event organiser (or one of the committee).

Id bet a Resches and a chiko roll that they would absolutely be able to put you in contact with someone that would be heading down and back.

17. Will do and thanks. To be honest, that would be my preference over driving some rental car anyway.

18. Rodsports

Rodsports

I sent a PM mate, hopefully it went through as Ive never done one.

19. RH steering would be one thing, though I think I could adapt to it. But combining that with LH "rule of road" would make my giant brain hurt! :confused:
    :rolleyes:

chryslerfan55, SS327 and guthriesmith like this.
  20. 05snopro440

05snopro440

Enough about Australia, what car did the kid pick?:p:rolleyes:

guthriesmith likes this.
  21. slim38

slim38
    from Sudan TX
    1. H.A.M.B. Chapel

If you see my old 38, please bring it back. 94.jpeg

22. I could probably fit it in my carryon. :D

23. Stan Back

Stan Back
    from California

We were on a freebie vacation in the Bahamas years ago taking a shuttle to our resort where I was really anxious to rent a car and explore!!!

First time the driver took a left turn, I about freaked out. Not good easy learning how so you could go out, have a dinner and a few drinks and return. Never even thought of that again whenever the opportunity was an option.

24. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Spent a year on St. Croix, USVI and had to drive an F 550. Left hand steering and driving on the left side of the road :oops:. I had to have insurance, but the locals didn't :rolleyes:. Talk about interesting times.

25. Try a LHD Humvee on the narrow roads of Jamaica and Panama

26. twenty8

twenty8

Lots of guys down here in Australia do it all the time, driving imported LHD U.S iron around on our RHD roads.:rolleyes:

27. I've driven all over the U.S. Plenty of us have. Grow a pair.;)

We have proper coffee, not milkshakes. A long black is a shot of espresso in a large cup then topped with hot water. A short black is just a shot of espresso. In Europe a long black is known as an Americano.

And don't worry about beaches, Yamba is a beach town too.:)

I provided the link page one.;)

28. Yep, that’s where I got all the info. :) And, I will plan to just rent a car if I don’t get opportunity to catch a ride. I can’t imagine that it can be that difficult to get there.

29. Pacific Hwy south for a while, then look for the Yamba exit signs. Google will get you there.

Think of the stories you'll be able to tell!

30. Rodsports

Rodsports

Thanks X38

chryslerfan55, Okie Pete and hrm2k like this.