Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods B&M hydro stick shift pattern

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 31olds, Sep 5, 2024.

1. 31olds

31olds

Interesting. How’s to say what the thoughts were. Thanks for the input.

2. KCTA Chris

KCTA Chris

The Hydro book from '63 shows how much to cut off your fins and what stall rates you can achieve by mixing bowls, material removal and torus. It also mentions the need for the brazing, however I think TIG welding is todays equivalent.

It's a great book and shows three ways to build street or race and covers several details like the pressure linkage build and adjustment and B&M mods vs other competitors. I've run a B&M and currently running a Hydro-Motive (B&M's left coast competition), there are slight differences in the builds but all handle the same.

Starters were mentioned above: If your using the truck bellhousing you must have the rare truck starter $$$. That starter is only for the GMC V8 application and not interchangeable, it features a longer snout and armature shaft to reach deeper in the bell housing to hit the flywheel. If you can find the B&M bell housing (C-5 CF-5?) its mount is offset so you can use the common car 3 bolt starter. Finding and buying a B&M bell housing is far cheaper than truck starter cores. On one of my B&M competition models they cut a chevy flywheel and bolted it with spacers to the original bowl/flywheel to get it closer - its crude and may work on a race car but not sure how long it would live on the street.

warbird1 and tomcat11 like this.
  3. 31olds

31olds

Thanks for the great information! Any possibility of getting a copy of that part of the book on torus and pressure linkages. Happy to pay for what ever you want for a copy of those pages. I am running an Olds engine with hydro so it’s a lot of just bolts up and the starter bolts to the removable lower part of the bellhousing . Let me know about the copies. Thanks