Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical big block 429 Mercury sat 12 years, no power but runs-HELP

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by sololobo, Oct 19, 2017.

1. sololobo

sololobo

Exhaust system clear, new fuel filter, radiator is now leaking so need to take it for repair, hard to start after overnight but starts after priming carb, fuel pump seems to be working ok however. I am narrowing it down to carb issues. Radiator back in a few days and will get back on it, appreciate the tips and ideas for the ol girl. thanx to all, sololobo

clunker likes this.
  2. RmK57

RmK57

Accelerator pump diaphragm is probably not working from sitting. Rebuild carb.

3. MIKE STEWART

MIKE STEWART

I had a 429 out of a 1972 Galaxie - put it in a 1940 Ford Coupe about 20 years ago - sold it to finance the 39 rag top.
    The original Ford motorcraft carb is a POS. Mine had a Holley bolt pattern - std bore. Put a Edelbrock 750 - ran great. Stock engine with 59,000 miles - C-6 and 3.25 gears. Ran strong, but big heavy engine.

4. sololobo

sololobo

new deal, radiator shot so buying a new 3 row, the original was only a two row even though the car has factory air. I have a good friend/good guy going to rebuild the carb for me, he is a master mechanic with some race cars, lucky stroke for me. Then we will see how she runs. Not giving up on her, however my goal of a $1,000.00 car is over!! I was so fortunate to buy her out of an estate for a paltry $500.00. And I am sure I am not done replacing decayed goodies from 14 years in the barn. I was soooooo fortunate the mice did not get inside the car.

5. sololobo

sololobo

The Merc project has come to a bad state, I am thinking about scrapping the car and taking my losses. I had the carb rebuilt and the gas tank reconditioned. I am unable to do work myself and it doesn't work having to depend on my friends who have their own projects. I am coming up on 75 years young/old and it may be time to sign off. My other ride a 66 c-10 is also in a state of reworking after a crash that ruined the box, I have a replacement that needs two front 1/4's replaced which I have. It is a fair cab and has a nice running 350/350 combo. Nice firestone bias plys, rebuilt front end. Also a new windshield and back glass that need to be installed. I am thinking about $3,500.00 for this. Does that seem reasonable. Wah wah, big cry baby here, just isn't fun anymore!