Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Bring Out Yer Board Track Pics!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by miller91, May 16, 2009.

1. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Nor were there any bored track racers... or fans. Gary

2. kurtis

kurtis
    from Australia

Just a video some guy made a few years ago. I think he was trying to make a 'Ken Burns' type documentary. He promised more but nothing has surfaced since.

:):D

3. kurtis

kurtis
    from Australia

This photo is probably from October 29, 1910 at Los Angeles Motordrome where Jake De Rosier, sitting in the middle, set a record for 100 Miles in 75 minutes and 24 seconds. On the same day he also established a new record for 95 Miles at just over 71 Minutes.

On De Rosier's right is Ray Seymour, an 18 year old wonder kid who set a Mile record of 41 1-5 seconds on the same day. These records were not bettered during 1911. The rider to De Rosier's left looks like Charles "Fearless" Balke.

More on these three riders later.

[​IMG]

Weaverville Studios likes this.
  4. kurtis

kurtis
    from Australia

Factory Excelsior riders at St.Louis boardtrack - 1914.

Wells Bennett.

[​IMG]

John B. Hoefeler.

[​IMG]

Paul Schmidt.

[​IMG]

5. kurtis

kurtis
    from Australia

6. kurtis

kurtis
    from Australia

7. kurtis

kurtis
    from Australia

8. kurtis

kurtis
    from Australia

9. kurtis

kurtis
    from Australia

10. kurtis

kurtis
    from Australia

I know most of you guys get a kick out of watching cackle cars in action but for me it's more exciting sitting on top of an engine with flames spitting onto the legs.

Watch and learn a little about a couple of Indian motocycles.

11. kurtis

kurtis
    from Australia

12. John Webster

John Webster

I've just been through all 19 pages of this thread and I want to thank all of the contributors.

13. kurtis

kurtis
    from Australia

14. kurtis

kurtis
    from Australia

15. mctoyart

mctoyart
    from maryland

Thanks for posting all this great stuff. I hope this reply is not to late to reply about the Laurel Md track, it was located off Rt1 behind Heysers cycle there is a road back there called Racetrack rd. When it was torn down a lot of the lumber was used in a housing development back there. I will have to find my motorcycle program from Laurel and scan it

16. Mr Nascar

Mr Nascar
    from Daytona

Awesome Pics!!!!

17. Mr Nascar

Mr Nascar
    from Daytona

Can someone give me some info on the Board Track that was supposed to be in Daytona??? I live here and have never heard of it.No one I know has either.We are all Harley Riders and Nascar fans.Any info on Location and exact dates would be helpful.Also that track has to be at least 2 miles long.Huge turns.Long straits.

Thanx.

18. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

There was a board track called Fulford-Miami or Miami-Fulford that was blown down by a hurricane in the mid 20s. Should be able to find something on Google.

19. choptop4

choptop4

I just found this.Last weekend I was talking with an old friend.We built 32's, model a's ,Harelys all kinds of stuff.When we where talking a board track bike pops in my head.He had one years ago.
    Hey! do you still have that old board track bike?He thinks for moment,I think I do.If I still have it ,it's out in one of the barns.
    Well go look.
    Make a long story short ,he side I could have it.WOW! If I get it I'll post some pix.

20. The37Kid

The37Kid

Welcome to the HAMB! Miami Fulford was managed by the first Indy 500 winner Ray Haroon. I have a leterhead from the speedway with some MILLER literature. :)

21. hugh m

hugh m
    from ct.

That Indian video was something, thanks for posting.

22. kurtis

kurtis
    from Australia

Here's another video that hasn't been posted here. Probably the best film from a small collection that exist's today.

Sorry for all the motorcycle stuff but our friends from the Jockey Journal don't seem to be interested in any of this. I will try to post more photos of cars as we go along.

23. kurtis

kurtis
    from Australia

The 1921 film above shows a 20 year old named Albert "Shrimp" Burns riding an Indian to a couple of wins at the 1.25 Mile Beverly Hills track. What it doesn't show is the crash that severly injured the young rider keeping him out of racing for the remainder of the day. Much to the crowds delight he returned for the last event of the day on a borrowed bike and won again.

"Shrimp" began his professional career in 1913 at age 15 against the sports established stars, holding his own with many great performances. Obviously the experienced riders didn't like to be upstaged by a teenager and their protests kept the young rider out of several big races for the remainder of the year. After serving in the Great War, Burns returned home in 1919 and won a major race prompting Harley Davidson to sign him. He would win many races in the Midwest that same year.
    In 1920 he switched allegiances and signed on to ride for the Indian factory team winning many races until his death on August 14, 1921 at Ohio. Coming out of a turn, Burns struck the rear of Ray Weishaar's bike sending him into the railing causing massive head injuries to the popular rider.

Albert "Shrimp" Burns.

[​IMG]

Ray Weishaar

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 7, 2010
  24. Rodney 2

Rodney 2
    from Fresno

Thanks! I've been wanting an answer for that question for almost 40 years.

25. vents

vents

Do any of you know where the St. Louis and Kansas City board tracks were located? Thanks for posting the historical pictures and information,very cool!

26. kurtis

kurtis
    from Australia

The Kansas City Speedway was esentially built around "swampy" surroundings. It opened in 1922 and closed in 1924. It was a 1&1/4 Mile oval with 35 degree banking and was located at Holmes Rd. & E 91st St.
    As far as i know or what i could find about the speedway, the land was later occupied by the Pratt & Whitney aircraft engine plant during WWII and later by Westinghouse and Bendix. I don't know what is there now but a few years ago the land was operated by Allied Signal.

The St. Louis Motordrome is of much interest to me because of it's motorcycle and bicycle races but unfortunately i haven't found much info about this track. I know it was a steeply banked circle of 62 degrees and it opened in 1912 and closed either in 1915 or a year later. It was located at S Grand Blvd.& Meramec St. There is a great photo floating around the net showing a St. Louis Fire Dept. demonstration inside the 'drome if you can find it.

St.Louis Motordrome.

[​IMG]

27. kurtis

kurtis
    from Australia

OT, sort of...

Some of you may or may not recognise a familiar face in the film or photo below.
    Hint, later in life this gentleman stripped down to his underwear at the world's fastest speedway.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 7, 2010
  28. kurtis

kurtis
    from Australia

29. eye bone

eye bone

30. Fiddytree

Fiddytree
    from Durango

Fur,

Have no idea how you know or where the info came from, but THANK YOU!

Fiddytree