Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Building My First Roadster in San Francisco

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by J.Ukrop, Sep 7, 2020.

Tags:
  1. RodStRace

RodStRace

I agree, IF he has access to one. He's shown a press at his friend's place. Also he is pals with 947 works, who should have a press but may not have a steering wheel puller since he does bikes.
    A big vice and 2 well chosen sockets will do it too. Just needs a 'pop', unless there is more to the story.

J.Ukrop, Tim and Outback like this.
  2. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

I like to put the nut back on a few threads before using the puller so that when it breaks loose, the wheel (or me) doesn't go flying.

3. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Replies to come, but here's a super quick update before it's time for bed.

Some photos in the order I took them. IMG_3856.jpg
    This first one will make more sense later this week.
    IMG_3859.jpg
    Upon returning from my trip to the South Bay to buy that fine piece of aluminum, I went straight to the garage to try my hand at separating the wheel from the steering shaft. First, I called upon my tired Craftsman two-jaw puller. Longtime readers may remember that I bought this to pull the fiber timing gear off the front of my 'banger. Attentive longtime readers will remember that it didn't work at all. This time around, I gave it a shot but the threaded portion kept on slipping. To counter, I applied the only tool from my garage with a 100% success rate: Liquid Wrench #1 (check DicE issue 100 where I said the same thing in print).

After letting it sit for a few minutes, I figured I'd try something that I knew was destined not to work. I pulled out my ball peen hammer and tapped the stub. Nothing. "I'll just try one more hit," I said to myself. POP. The stub came loose and rolled out onto the floor. I couldn't believe it!
    IMG_3860.jpg
    One more item checked off the big list.

4. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

IMG_3865.jpg
    Other than that, most of my time has been spent figuring out steering things. I've been doing some column drop R&D, but I want to share it when it's further along and I've made a clear decision. So, in the meantime, I present you with this snapshot of my decklid-turned-workspace. IMG_3875.jpg
    Nice weather=steering wheel cleaning time. That old goo in there smelled awful!

5. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

As I wait for steering components to come in, I was able to focus on the flange.
    IMG_3879.jpg
    Everything lines up nicely. This will mount on the inside of the frame with Grade 8 hardware. I will also fabricate a plate for the outside as well. Can't wait to get the steering box welded to this.
    IMG_3881.jpg
    As I mentioned, Benj is hard at work on an overlanding build. He was kind enough to give me the crash course on the Skil circular saw so I could re-purpose some of my car's old wood. With his guidance, I trimmed the old seat base (don't worry, my new one is steel) and shortened the first piece of the trunk floor to fit the new subrails. Feels good to have those finished up.

6. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

IMG_1690-1.jpg
    Working hard or hardly working? Benj caught me texting when I should have been wrenching. SMH! That's all for tonight. More updates happening soon!

7. Outback

Outback
    from NE Vic

Isn't that 'POP' one of the best sounds you can hear!

Another great update, crossing things off the list :cool: Not long now

Tim likes this.
  8. RodStRace

RodStRace

Pop~!
    This image at this time sure locates you.
    The rest of the country is hot, yet here you are, long pants, long sleeves, boots all laced up.
    [​IMG]

sfcool.jpg

9. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

a hammer mechanic never fails with a well placed blow
    you are a hammer mechanic.....wheel done!

J.Ukrop, Outback and Tim like this.
  10. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Yup a hammer is absolutely my favorite tool followed closely by my favorite can of kroil lol.

41 GMC K-18, J.Ukrop and winduptoy like this.
  11. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

Lots going on there! You are getting closer.

12. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

I see what you did there!

Agreed! That Kroil smell brings be back to my old garage. I used about a can of it to try to un-seize the old Triumph. No luck!

Yes! One day at a time!

13. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Not much to report, but Jason did share this timelesss 35mm shot from the banger's last hurrah.
    IMG_3900.jpg
    Soon thereafter, the park ranger came over to 1) check out the machinery and 2) inform me that I couldn't park in the bus lane. I know I've said it plenty of times before, but I love the look of old cars on old film.

14. DRD57

DRD57

When Kroil won’t do the trick try a 50/50 mix of acetone and ATF.

15. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

50% of ATF and 50% of darn near any other liquid around the shop.

osage orange likes this.
  16. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Visiting @Six Ball “hey thanks for letting me use the bathroom. Man that piston came loose that’s awesome! Say where did my coffee go?”

“well Tim funny you should ask…”

winduptoy likes this.
  17. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

Coke maybe? At a tire shop I worked at we used Coke to break beads on rusty rims and remove bugs from windshields. The next time one of your kids loses a tooth drop it in a bottle of Coke and watch it for a couple of days. :eek:

Tim likes this.
  18. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

On Friday morning, I hopped in the truck and buzzed north to Petaluma. David and I had a fun day planned, and I was excited to soak up some sun and get rolling on the steering box project.
    IMG_5811.jpg
    For the first order of business, I was able to gift our friend Ted the seat out of my car for his upcoming Model A roadster project. Once we plunked it into place, I had to hop behind the wheel. Even though it hasn't been that long since I've driven mine with the 'banger, it felt just like home. The seat works perfectly with the car's coastal California patina.
    IMG_3931.jpg
    Our main objective for the day was to clean up parts and take inventory for the rebuild. That meant a good amount of time in the sanblasting cabinet, which I find therapeutic. As you can see, all of the essentials went from grimy to good.

Next, I focused my efforts on grinding down the wide splines on the pitman arm. It took a little bit of time to get right, but I eventually got it set up.

19. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

To wind down the day, David welded a trio of nuts to the back of the steering flange. This will be a huge help during installation, as well as whenever I need to service the box. Once the welding was completed, I also sandblasted it. IMG_3932.jpg

20. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Overall, it was a fun and productive day up north. Next time, we'll be welding the flange and building the box. I can't wait!

I have more to say about the steering, but it's getting late here. I'll leave you with this—one of the most exciting pieces of the interior to date.
    IMG_3939.jpg
    A real-deal Moon column drop. I'll share more about it next time. That's all for now!

21. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

If you don’t have to replace the worm gear or the upper inner bearing race rebuilding a steering box is a breeze youll have fun :)

22. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

That is a nice looking roadster. Banger?

oliver westlund and J.Ukrop like this.
  23. Jeff34

Jeff34

Looks like it by the exhaust/muffler.

Kelly Burns, Six Ball and J.Ukrop like this.
  24. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

We've inspected them, and it looks like they'll be good to go. I do have to do some metal-to-metal to fix a rough area on the box, but we'll cross that bridge in a couple of weeks.

Yes! That said, it's getting a very stout flathead V8 soon. It's going to be a great project.

25. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

There are two things that I wanted to mention about this weekend's update. First, we have the steering wheel.

While we were at the shop on Friday, David, Justin, and I took a look at the splines of the Hudson steering shaft. "I can't say for sure," Justin said, "but the splines seem like they're almost exactly the same as an F-1." I compared the two, and he was right. "It can't be," I said to myself.

Well, when I came home from Petaluma, I took my 1954 Hudson wheel and carefully set it on the steering shaft. The splines lined up perfectly; it slid right on. I was speechless.

I can't remember if I read it somewhere or if it was pure coincidence, but it's now confirmed that a Hudson Hornet steering wheel fits on an F-1 steering shaft. How neat is that?

26. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

27. Outback

Outback
    from NE Vic

Awesome, Hudson wheels just became more desirable haha :cool::D
    Love your work Joey!

28. kustomkat1950

kustomkat1950
    from Coastal GA

Neat build man..Hey, your dash, what is going on with that? I dig. I dabble in abstract painting (think Pollock-ish) and would like to donate a painting for your garage. PM me if you are interested..

29. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

30. RodStRace

RodStRace

Seems the manufacturers didn't feel the need to get as unique back then. The steering arm on my T seems to be a Chevy truck arm, but fits directly on the F1 box also. Coming out of the war, I'd guess they had all been working across companies to ensure compatibility and there were common use for common application, so they didn't see the need to reinvent things like spline size and count.