Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Death Week 2023

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by squirrel, Sep 26, 2023.

1. squirrel

squirrel
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This is coming up next month

https://www.sickthemagazine.com/death-week

A sort of copy of Hot Rod magazine's Drag Week. Tom Bailey started his own drag and drive racing series a few years ago, and this event is on the west coast, starting and ending in the Phoenix area. Pretty close to me, as this stuff goes, only 3 hours away up the interstate, so I guess I have to go. I think they're expecting about 100 cars (I asked Tom about that last week) so it should be reasonably big, but not huge.

I'm taking Plan II. What could possibly go wrong?

plan ii 20230926.jpg

duecesteve, Outback, rodbiz and 77 others like this.
  2. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Fun times ahead - looking forward to your updates on this

3. Budget36

Budget36

Dang, was hoping for a Northern Ca. route.
    Good luck and have fun !

Outback, Stogy and seb fontana like this.
  4. When you say wrong are you talking about catastrophe or something else?

Outback, Stogy and Tow Truck Tom like this.
  5. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Don't forget your National park SR pass. That's quite the scenic road trip without the racing.

Outback, mad mikey, Stogy and 2 others like this.
  6. lostn51

lostn51
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Tennessee

That’s going to fun as hell to drive that on a long trip. Are you going to pull a trailer with some spare parts, tires, etc or are you going Two Lane Blacktop on this one

Outback and Stogy like this.
  7. Tow Truck Tom

Tow Truck Tom
    from Clayton DE

Sounds like a walk in the park, for you.
    And a larger trunk :)

Outback, Stogy, 41 GMC K-18 and 3 others like this.
  8. squirrel

squirrel
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have no idea what could possibly go wrong. But there are probably about a million different things. That's the fun of it all!

This car was set up to fit everything in the trunk. I've also taken out quite a bit of stuff I normally take on Drag Week in the car. I have a small box of spare stuff, and what I need to race.

Outback, 1Nimrod, mad mikey and 15 others like this.
  9. dearjose

dearjose

@squirrel New front wheels or just the angle of the pic? They look like skinny fentons or something.

10. Jim, good luck & kickazz! are you allowed to carry Xtra fuel. I ran out of fuel on my HD years back, Guy driving a 56 pickup had a jerry can full & he gave me enough to get to a gas station. I filled up @Scottys & still was short. Left Bishop headin to Vegas. Spent the night under the stars & never even gave rattlers' or scorpions a thought, being a greenhorn from So Cal. Kinda lucky me, never saw one. I slept on the dez too. Usually I would put the bike on the rear stand, feet in the bags & leather jacket rolled up for a pillow resting on the handle bars, big ol buddy seat for my butt. Sure would be nice to be 24 again.

Outback, WC145, Algoma56 and 14 others like this.
  11. trad27

trad27

Living the dream man. I'm sure you will be just fine but heaven forbid something happens near the Bako stop or you need anything feel free to reach out. On your rambler adventure I happen to see you replacing a wheel bearing at chester brake and would have been happy to help but seen it afterwards.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2023
  12. Los_Control

Los_Control
    from TX

I guarantee you, he will drive it and make it home.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2023
  13. squirrel

squirrel
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

We got my wife to come out and rescue us on the way home, hitched the trailer to her truck, put my truck on the trailer, and fixed the transmission back at home.

We can take extra fuel, but I'm pretty good at not running out of gas. Plan II has a 15 gal tank and a working gauge, and gets about 10-11 on the road. Although when we get into traffic jams, the mileage drops considerably! but there are usually gas stations in that situation.

I did get new front wheels on the car, skinny Fentons, good eye

Outback, 1Nimrod, mad mikey and 17 others like this.
  14. Los_Control

Los_Control
    from TX

Sorry Jim I thought I followed pretty closely .... Thats the way I thought it ended .... I apologize and edit the post. ..... I have to admit I thought you were a real hero in my version of the story .... :p

I'm still subscribed to follow :)

15. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I saw your car in Darlington, but I didn't see you. Hope you had a good time and everything went smooth.

Have fun at Death Week, it should be a walk in the park only 3 hours away...

You are my Drag and Drive hero.

-Abone.

mad mikey, Stogy, Thor1 and 5 others like this.
  16. squirrel

squirrel
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I didn't spend nearly as much time with the car as I should have, unfortunately...mostly I was wandering around talking with people. And I actually watched some racing, too!

1Nimrod, mad mikey, scotty t and 12 others like this.
  17. brianf31

brianf31
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That will be brutal for many.

Squirrel, it was nice to meet you in Darlington at Hot Rod Drag Week.

18. I forgot to ask you on your other thread, did you see or talk with my pal Chris Ingle at Drag Week, he is a transmission builder from Greenville,South Carolina. HRP

[​IMG]

Stogy, Thor1 and Deuces like this.
  19. squirrel

squirrel
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I know him to say Hi to...but didn't talk about you :)

1Nimrod and Stogy like this.
  20. noboD

noboD

Squirrel, you MAY want to take tools and an axle seal. I'm just sayin'. Be safe, we know you will have fun.

Stogy, Truckdoctor Andy and X-cpe like this.
  21. squirrel

squirrel
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

yeah, I know....

I'm planning to go through the rear end on Plan II before I go, it's been a while. Everything else has had recent maintenance.

1Nimrod, mad mikey, scotty t and 5 others like this.
  22. X-cpe

X-cpe

Rear axle seals

Stogy, Budget36 and SS327 like this.
  23. Chris is my go to guy for transmission work, he built the transmission in my '32 almost 40 years ago. HRP

Stogy and squirrel like this.
  24. squirrel

squirrel
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The 9" rear in Plan II uses separate seals...not the seals in the bearings that the Vette uses.

But there are several bearings in the rear that have quite a few miles on them, that I should check.

1Nimrod, mad mikey, Stogy and 3 others like this.
  25. AHotRod

AHotRod

Sounds like allot of fun Jim - so happy for you.

mad mikey, Stogy and squirrel like this.
  26. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,
    Well, that is some route in the So Cal area. With a few exceptions, at least you will be on the best portion of the coastal area in the metropolitan location.
    upload_2023-9-28_4-31-23.png
    All along the Coast Highway 1 will be one of the most beautiful drives in all of So Cal. If you leave early, around 9am, after the morning rush hour, there should be fewer cars on the road. Keep your eyes on the road as it curves and only a double yellow separates you from the oncoming traffic.

We have driven this route a zillion times (up and back from Santa Barbara on Coast Highway 1 in all sorts of hot rods, vans, wagons, and cruisers…) and it never gets old. We prefer the coastal route to going back and forth from Santa Barbara over the inland freeway route. It takes a little longer on the coast, but what price is beauty and serenity? (going back south on Coast Highway 1, for us, has some danger to the road. Not only will you have to keep aware of the oncoming traffic, but now, the rocky coastline is just inches from your right side, tire tracks.)

Here is a preview of a current song that will stay in your brain once you see and hear it. Now, you can see and drive the actual coastline.

But, the sights and serenity make up for all of that crowded LA area.

L.A. coastal route

Jnaki

As far as in October, over the years, the coastal highway has been closed due to wildfires, rainy days and landslides along this portion of the coastline. But, we have gone through any times in the “off season.” (not summer) There were plenty of days in clear blue skies, crystal clear ocean waters, a great drive along the coastline seeing the waves at various surf spots we used to ride and campout during our long road trips.

If you stay somewhere along the San Diego/Orange County coast line after Barona, then it will be Monday morning when you take the long drive up to Morro Bay. If you leave after 9:00 a.m. then the daily grind traffic should be down, for a smooth drive to Pomona, two hours away. But, now you are in the greater Los Angeles Metropolitan area freeways and all suggestions are moot. It depends on who is driving, how many brake lights get jammed, and what they do to get to work or destinations. Your chances are good the roads will be relatively open, though … just get to the coast!

Since the early days of our family road trip vacations along the coast line, to the times my wife and I ventured up the rugged coastline all the way up to San Francisco and beyond, it is worth every minute of the road trip. It is the real feeling of the open road (actually very open on one side due to the vastness of the ocean) to the enjoyment of actually driving in this area versus the freeway drives.
    upload_2023-9-28_4-40-35.png
    nice photo by @Kevin Dana

Note:
    Along this portion of the highway, there are only a few places for gas station services, but the AAA is well versed in helping those in need. From Malibu to the big bend turn off is remote as one can get. Empty spaces, big homes, ranches and the ocean to one side. Don’t get distracted as folks tend to go fast here. Watch out for the CHP in various sneaky places.

The portion of the road trip to Morro Bay is also a nice drive, different from the LA to Santa Barbara drive. But, still a nice drive with fun locations along the way. Have fun… as for the rest of the inland driving times and locations hot, hot, hot and empty… good luck… YRMV

Last edited: Sep 28, 2023
    Stogy, 41 GMC K-18, 65pacecar and 2 others like this.
  27. squirrel

squirrel
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks for the tips. I get out to SoCal occasionally, I have a little taste of what traffic can be like....mostly horrendous, at the wrong time of day, or the wrong day, or the wrong place. Now we have google maps, which shows what's happening in real time. Example, at 6:30 AM:

traffic 630.jpg

Not too bad yet, but it is almost always plugged up somewhere...and at times, it's plugged up everywhere.

1Nimrod, Stogy, 65pacecar and 12 others like this.
  28. 65pacecar

65pacecar
    from KY, AZ

I have driven the entire coast highway of California (North to South) several times, either as a whole or in sections depending on the travel plans. It is absolutely the most beautiful and fun drive I have ever experienced. I love it, I hope you have a wonderful trip on Death Week and good luck.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2023
    mad mikey, Stogy, Thor1 and 4 others like this.
  29. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If you are using Google Maps, you can probably also step up to electronic ignition. (still keep a set of points and a Rand McNally in the glove box just in case.)

-Abone.