Register now to get rid of these ads!

DeSoto 276 Hemi

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dlbraly, Oct 16, 2009.

1. dlbraly

dlbraly

Is it hard to find parts for a DeSoto 276 Hemi?
    any suggestions on where to look / order parts?

I have a 54 DeSoto I want to rebuild.

2. George

George

3. Scott K

Scott K

4. Scott K

Scott K

5. dlbraly

dlbraly

6. 73RR

73RR

Who is Holly ?...:D

7. Screamin' Metal

Screamin' Metal
    from Oklahoma

Just read and study anything 'Hemi'................and visit all the Hemi sites..........a wealth of info................

8. scootermcrad

scootermcrad

My girlfriend's name is Holly. Is there something you want to share?? :eek: Gonna' have to have a little talk with her tonight. She said I was her only Hemi guy! :eek:

9. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

Cut it out, Scooter! Ya just caused me to blow beer out my nose, I was laughin' so hard, man!

10. scootermcrad

scootermcrad

Beer already!!?? WOW! I'm super jealous!!

11. Is it noon already?:D

12. my47soto

my47soto

It's 5o'clock some where, :D

13. Keep checking Ebay, I have scored a ton of stuff "NOS" stuff for dirt cheap. I got a nos set of pistons for $170, a complete set of nos intake valves for $20. I wouldn't be telling you this but my engine is done now. Oh and I got a cam for $40.

14. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

my47soto BEAT ME TO MY LINE, Scooter! My brother bummed out my day! (Just kiddin' Soto! What part of the DeSoto coupe ya working on now? Or is it too cold to get much done out your way? I HATE winter!!!)

15. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

Whippet, WHAT cam?????? I'm already jealous, man.

16. scootermcrad

scootermcrad

I was going to say "It's always beer-thirty somewhere." :D:D

17. my47soto

my47soto

I have been cleaning out the shop, my wifes 52 Caddie has taken up all the room. My poor Soto looks like it might get raped by that big beast.:D

18. Gr8ballsofir

Gr8ballsofir

You didn't just tell him about Ebay, DID YOU??? :p

Napa has a suprising amount of stuff...

19. Its just a stock cam and they had a buy it now for $70 or offer. I offered $40 and it sold. Delta cams will grind to a better profile for $60.
    I bought this one for a spare. There are a couple on Ebay right now. Higher price but also they say best offer. I believe its the same place I got mine.

20. About a week ago, I picked up the 4 bbl all cleaned and powder coated for $250. Thats the first 4 bbl I have seen on ebay for a low deck in 3 years!!!! There are 2 on there right now but are for the high decks and are actually modified 2 bbl manifolds. Its a pretty good idea for those that want to try it themselves.
    Oh and I dont mind talking dollars as it gives people a cost of what things can go for.
    Its starting to actually look like a Hemi!!! It will be multi carbed after running the 4 bbl for a while.

[​IMG]

21. I cant find crap at Napa, well distributer caps they have to order which I am experimenting on a different cap thats cheap and looks like the hold down straps need a little different bend but the cap is common.

22. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

Gr8BallsofFir, well, NAPA, sometimes surprises me. If you can get hold of one of the older guys who'll take the TIME, they sure seem to have LOTS of warehouses around the country. If you're not in a THIS-DAY hurry, worht a try.

They got me a NOS voltage regulator for my 6-V DeS. Came with a little instruvtion sheet. GREAT, since I'd forgotten how to polarize them. Did it with a paper clip.

23. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

Hey, Soto! How's the chrome on your '48 DeS bumpers??? If good, I won't go into details, bud. Lemme know, 'k?

24. 73RR

73RR

Why not use a late LA dist and then those issues go away...

25. I have rebuilt every inch of the stock distributor and modified it for electronics. I thought the LA dizzy would fit the tall decks, not the low decks.

26. George

George

The LA is a bolt in on low deck Dodges only. All other need a longer int. shaft or cut & lenthen the dist shaft.

27. Well what do you know, an easy fix or a low deck desoto. Nice to know. I'll put that into my memory to keep. Oh well, I spent some extra time and saved the 57 year old dizzy. Thanks.
    Maybe Im in a time warp about costs for distributor caps also. I remember them as being about $15 with rotors. Oh the good ol days!!! LOL.

28. budd

budd

is there such a thing as a 3X2 for a low deck desoto?

29. 73RR

73RR

The DeSoto happens to have the same block/distributor dimensions as the 331-354 Chrysler ( 4.75" from the top of the block to the top of the tower bushing) so if you want to use an LA distributor follow this link:
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=357793