Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Downpour!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by lake_harley, Jul 25, 2021.

1. Sky Six

Sky Six
    from Arizona

We've had some bad weather here the past few days and its so bad that you can't hide under the overpass because they are all flooded so I just hang around the garage and tinker.

Stogy, Deuces and lothiandon1940 like this.
  2. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

Every time i leave town in my bucket it drenches me. Ive now got a set of frog tog rain wear under the seat. When I get home I set a fan on the carpets, wipe off the seats and let it dry. Sure glad I had marine use materials !

3. atch

atch

I've been riding 2-wheelers for 50something years. Ya just get used to it. Especially if you're 4 states from home when the sky falls on you. Rain suit. Been there; done that. I don't mind much but Sherry abhors it. I'd give several examples but I'm already OT enough. Sure hope you get your roadster dried out Lynn. I'd like to see it sometime.

b-t-w; Old Appleton and Unionville are about 160 miles (straight line) from me and we didn't get a drop. Wish we had.

To keep this more on topic you live in a part of the state that has LOTS of good day trip and cruise roads.

catdad49, Stogy and Deuces like this.
  4. I pulled into a turnpike rest stop in a heavy down pour , and spotted a roadster sitting in the rain . I pulled over to see if he needed help and he said can I have your coffee cup to bail out my car , it was a fiberglass body with no doors and had about three inches of water in it. I told him he'd better drill a drain hole in floor .

5. Packrat

Packrat

We went to that one also. We were in our 57 Chevy so no problem but a buddy went with us in his T bucket, got a good soaking!

Stogy and Deuces like this.
  6. silent rick

silent rick

i've been through one of them on my panhead. i had water in my boots. washed my allman bros concert Tshirt around five times and could still smell the road on it. what a shame, i really liked that Tshirt.

Deuces and lothiandon1940 like this.
  7. lake_harley

lake_harley

Atch.....Just to clarify I'm in Uniontown, not Unionville, MO. They are often confused. There is also Union, MO and that just adds to the confusion.:confused:

Lynn

Deuces and lothiandon1940 like this.
  8. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,

We recently had some heavy rain for an hour or two in our neck of So Cal. It drenched our yard and house. So, water savings galore. It is unusual that it came to the Westcoast. Usually, it is a Summer rainfall from the Tropical Storms from the Southwest origins near Hawaii, or up from the Southeast from mainland Mexico with the hurricanes or tropical storm systems.

This one is supposed to last a couple of days, which is unusual. But, we are used to mild storms of any kind and luckily the rain happened after the local Cars and Coffee event was over.

As I am typing this, it has started to rain again, the outside yard is already soaked and the coastal fog/mist/haze is going to linger for a day or two.

Jnaki

My wife and I loved driving our 327 powered 1940 Ford Sedan Delivery in all kinds of weather. The tires gripped like no other and the sedan delivery tracked well in the rain. We never had hydroplaning problems with this sedan delivery. In the El Camino with wide Inglewood Tires, hydroplaning was a fact of life from the beginning of mist/rain to the downpour in any time of the year.

But, caution is always a good thing to have as hydroplaning can happen to just about any car or truck. Stopping distances are shortened and the oil on the ground enhances the chance that your car will obviously get dirty, but increases the chance of hydroplaning. YRMV

Lil32, catdad49 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  9. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Back in 1975 I was a mostly broke student going to college at Cal State San Bernardino on the GI Bill. My daily was an OT Austin Healey 100-4 with no top, iffy wipers, custom rip and tear upholstery, and the usual Lucas electrics. Don't believe all that BS that it never rains in SoCal. It seemed like it rained every day my first spring quarter. It was always a crap shoot to see if it start or if the wipers would work without having to wiggle wires under the dash went I got out of class. And then there was the issue of sitting on soaking wet bucket seats on the ride home. Fun times.

10. I, too had my roadster out in the rain. The rain isn't as bad as the stripes up your back from driving in the rain with no rear fenders.

catdad49 and Stogy like this.
  11. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

@Inked Monkey had that same storm turn his rpu into a bathtub! Not a bad time to put
    Your papers in a zip lock bag before they go back in the car.

ive been in some crazy rain but at least I had a roof! Glad you made it safe

12. cheap-n-dirty

cheap-n-dirty

13. atch

atch

Yep. I had Uniontown and Old Appleton up on google Earth but had Unionville on my brain. Unionville is pretty close to where porknbeaner lives.

Sherry and I just got home from a 300 (+/-) mile road trip on the H-D. It was pretty nice when we left this morning but was hovering around 100* for the last 3-4 hours. I wouldn't have minded a downpour by that time. If we had Clarence back from the painter's/upholsterer's/glass man we would have taken it.

14. atch

atch

f-w-i-w; That '93 Americruise was probably the wettest rod run/car show that I've ever been to in all my 70 years. I met a man there who had a topless/hoodless/fenderless fiberglass '32 roadster with license plate BB502. License plate was very literally descriptive. Nicely done very fresh hot rod. We were inside one of the buildings watching it pour rain on his car which was parked right outside. I asked him about it getting wet. He replied that he built it with holes in the floorboard; boat carpet; and boat upholstery. When it quit raining water would drain naturally and he would just get in it and drive it.

That experience/information might help someone here when building his/her next hot rod.

Stogy and Tim like this.
  15. If you driveabout 50 mph the rain stops getting you in the car, it blows over and doesn't get you wet, oh ya and don't turn left if you don't have fenders.

Stogy, loudbang and Tim like this.
  16. I totally agree about making left turns in the rain, been there, done that.