Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical East Texas Dragstrip Survivor

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by coleminer, Oct 16, 2011.

1. coleminer

coleminer
    from East Texas

Went to a carshow in Kilgore, TX yesterday and spotted an old Willys Coupe. I started reading the history of the car that was displayed in front of it and said... "I know these people - I recognize that car!" I began a conversation with the owners Alan and Gary Ratliff of Liberty City. These guys are Alliance members but have not posted pictures of this local legend. We spent quite awhile talking about the old days of racing and the people who owned this car and it was great to hear the old girl rev up! Hopefully these guys will get on here and tell "the rest of the story"... and it is a good one as they have been following this car for most of their lives and are now the proud owners. FYI this car was photographed for Car Craft magazine in a picture spread of cruising in Texas at Kilgore College. There is also a pic of their other car which is also a survivor.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 16, 2011
  2. spinout

spinout
    from Dallas, TX

Hey, I remember that car too. I also raced at the two strips mentioned on the plaque. Good old times.

3. scarliner

scarliner
    from Macon Mo.

Anyone would be proud to own, both of those cars.Very well done.Great history.

4. billylo

billylo

Hey that's close to me....I guess I missed the show and the cars. Cool history!!!

5. coleminer

coleminer
    from East Texas

Where are you located billylo ?

6. bubba67

bubba67
    from NJ

That Willys is real sweet !

7. ssimpala

ssimpala

I was at the track in Gilliam, La (Thunder Raceway) this weekend and saw an old Willys gasser hit both walls, roll several times and slid several hundred feet on it's top. The driver was O.K. I clicked on here thinking this was a post about that accident. Anyone know the driver of the accident I'm talking about? Really nice old car but will probably be scrap now.

8. baker53

baker53

Glad to see it is still around.

9. fifTsix

fifTsix
    from TEXAS

10. horace urrey

horace urrey

driver of the car at gilliam la. was terry brown he is ok asfer as I know the car was not an orginal but afairly recent repop car was evil handling

11. nailhead terry

nailhead terry

Awsome car I hear all the stories about the old tracks that were here and its neat to some of the cars survived. I know the owner of the old White House strip. I ran I 20 fun times in East Texas !!

12. nailhead terry

nailhead terry

One of the anglias that ran with that car is in the attic of a local repair shop in Hawkins and no he wont sell it I tried several times !! 4 lug halibrands and all

13. 1940 Willys Coupe

1940 Willys Coupe
    from Texas

Dang! What a way to start Monday morning. First thing I do is go to the Hamb and see what went on over the weekend and what do I see but pictures of my Willys and my brothers 39 Ford. Thanks to Kris and Lynda Cole from Henderson,TX for posting these. My brother and I met this nice couple over the weekend at a car show in my hometown, Kilgore,TX and they we oh so nice and we really enjoyed talking with them.
    Thanks again, Kris and Lynda!

Now back to the Jack Daniels and that everloving honeybun!

From Deep in the Heart of Texas!

1940 Willys Coupe

14. 1940 Willys Coupe

1940 Willys Coupe
    from Texas

15. 1940 Willys Coupe

1940 Willys Coupe
    from Texas

16. hemipwd41willys

hemipwd41willys
    from Wyoming

Gary,
    Great to see your car on here. Maybe some day you can get a few pics of the engine posted. I think most of the gasser guys would like to see the 327 small block chevy with MECHANICAL HILBORN INJECTION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And just a little tid bit to everyone, "Gary drives this on the street"

Last edited: Jul 10, 2013