Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features Falcons done right?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by guiseart, Nov 20, 2005.

1. falconizer_62

falconizer_62

raf
    that is baaaaaaaad! very nice. did you build it?

2. MUNCIE

MUNCIE
    from Houston

Ok guys I was hoping someone could post up a couple of pictures of there 1965 falcon front suspensions.What I need is a shot of the pitman arm ( I have found two different versions of it ) one with shafts on both end the other only on the pitman side.And two I need to see how the idler arm bracket bolts up.I tried the normal way not anlgled and had a little clearance issues ligning up on the other side with then gear box.

My car is a 1964 and I am doing the v8 suspension upgrade so I cannot go by how it was mounted before.Also my new centeer link came from falcon enterprises and on the side that mounts to the pitman arm shouldn't there be a peice of rubber,mine has none and is supposed to be a brand new part.My old center link has the rubber on both sides ?
    Thanks

3. MUNCIE

MUNCIE
    from Houston

Ok guys I was hoping someone could post up a couple of pictures of there 1965 falcon front suspensions.What I need is a shot of the pitman arm ( I have found two different versions of it ) one with shafts on both end the other only on the pitman side.And two I need to see how the idler arm bracket bolts up.I tried the normal way not anlgled and had a little clearance issues ligning up on the other side with then gear box.

My car is a 1964 and I am doing the v8 suspension upgrade so I cannot go by how it was mounted before.Also my new center link came from falcon enterprises and on the side that mounts to the pitman arm shouldn't there be a peice of rubber,mine has none and is supposed to be a brand new part.My old center link has the rubber on both sides ?
    Thanks

4. MUNCIE

MUNCIE
    from Houston

Sorry for the first post didn't mean to post it....:cool:

5. Check here: http://tffn.net/

and here: http://tffn.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=16350

Since you are switching to V8 from 6 there are some comon and some not so comom parts.

Power steering center links are different from non-power. Pitman arms are different. What spindles are you using? Lots to look at, but The Ford Falcon News (TFFN) will have the answer on this.

I did this on my '63 years ago. Hotrod Mag or Car Craft May 2000 issue has all the parts listed. Matt King did the story on disc brake swap and front end update.

6. Mercury Kid

Mercury Kid

Heres mine, just got it a couple weeks ago and just made it the daily driver. Got a whopping six benjamin's in it as it sits.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Maverick Daddy likes this.
  7. Just found a photo of my high school Falcon more door. Had a rumble seat in the trunk. hot six and 3 spd floor shift.

Attached Files:

8. Ghostcruiser

Ghostcruiser
    from NE Florida

Amen to what Bob says...I went there to get all the info needed to swap my front end to discs...it can't be beat!:D
    Rob

9. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

I just bought a ‘61 Futura. All stock, 170/3-speed with a blue vinyl interior. No pictures yet, but picture a Cambridge Blue Futura with a blue vinyl interior and turbine mags (soon to go) and you get the idea.

Going to pick up some 14-inch 4-lug wheels tomorrow. Plans call for a T-5 or an Orion overdrive, triple carburetors, modern cam, header, and Scarebird (Stanza/Cavalier) disc brakes.

-Dave

10. falconizer_62

falconizer_62

Sounds like a killer combination :)
    keep us posted

11. I did the T-5 behind a modded 200 in my '63 Ranchero..WOW what a differance. With the 170 you will have to find an E-Van bell housing for a top loader as the 170 will not have the rear bolt pattern for a V8 top loader bell. I used an adapter from the rustang parts stores and a clutch from a 4 cyl late model rustang. mechanical clutch linkage worked great.

Personally I'd dump the 170 for a 200 or 250, but they are cool

12. KEITHMAN

KEITHMAN

Here's a '62 coupe I built when I was in the service. It's gone now, but what a blast to drive. Used to be my DD just the way you see it in the pics.

Keith's '62 Coupe.jpg

Keith's '62 Coupe 2.jpg

Keith's '62 Coupe 4.jpg

Keith's '62 Coupe at Mom's.jpg

13. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

That's certainly an option - though not at the moment. I also think it would be kind of fun to do a 170 stroker (200 crank in a 170 block - 180 cubic inches if I did my math correctly). I don't think I'm gonna mess with a 250 on this one, as it's my full-time driver and the 250 swap is kind of involved (I hear the taller deck means dropping the motor mounts down).

Supposedly Modern Driveline (www.moderndriveline.com) has the stuff to do a T5 to a 2.77 bellhousing, but I haven't investigated that route thoroughly yet.

-Dave

14. MUNCIE

MUNCIE
    from Houston

I got a question for you falcon guys out there.Here is my pitman on my 65 center link.Do you guys think it should sit a little more lower than it does.This is only finger tight in the picture....[​IMG]
    Just not sure if I should go with the 1 1/8 pitman instead.I measured the nut on the steering shaft and it measured 1 1/8 so I read that this would indicate a 1 inch sector shaft out of the steering box so I bought the 1 inch pitman.....

15. creeder

creeder
    from Pa

I have been watching this thread for a long time, and now I can contribute. I finally got mine on the road and I used alot of inspiration from this site.

I hope I did the pics right.

149_2818.jpg

149_2819.jpg

149_2821.jpg

Hotdoggin DaddyO likes this.
  16. cracker head

cracker head

that^^^^^ is a also good lookin falcon

17. Creeder that is one sweet looking falcon, I hope mine looks that nice when i finish it

18. KK500

KK500

Request from NTAPHSE.............pics from Monterey Historics 2008

Dude, will fix pics tonite. Jim.

Last edited: May 13, 2009
  19. That looks like a 6 cyl pitman arm. I had to change to a V8 part and the matching idler arm.

20. MUNCIE

MUNCIE
    from Houston

You know what when I get off of work tonight I'm going dig up my old pitman from the inline six suspension parts and see how it fits the exact same way if so then I will know for sure....:cool: I do have the v8 idler arm and brackets though so I geuss that's a positive.

21. redracer64

redracer64

Here is my 64 futura. Early Drag Race inspired
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 12, 2009
  22. MUNCIE

MUNCIE
    from Houston

Nope it's not a six cylinder pitman been lookingn into it more I think it's the right one.The 1 1/8 is only bigger on the shaft side...

23. Some nice cars in here. I've been thinking of buying a small pre-65 American made commuter car and there aren't too many out there that aren't gas hogs. So I'm interested in a Falcon/Comet 2dr. wagon with a six. My question is, what kind of mileage do you guys get with a 6 cyl in these cars? I'd set it up for highway gears.

24. Here is a cool one.1960 with a 3 carb 170 in it.

Attached Files:

25. falconeer

falconeer

Creeder,
    Thats one hot looking Falcon. I was looking for a 60-62 like yours when i found my 63 2dr sedan. I am in the process of some much needed repairs on mine. New 88400 headers(the old Hooker sup. comps hit every thing),raised engine up 3/8 of an in. (ctr link hitting oil pan),new tie rod ends,new exhaust system half way back,now clears pitman arm. Replaced the steering box with a no ware 60 model in great shape.My old one was shot & had no adjustment.Front end was so far out it wa scarry to drive.
    REFF: 63 2dr sedan (orig 6 cyl)
    Has a 95 cobra roller 5.0 with crane cam,roller rockers,gear drive,high rise intake,650 dubble pumper holly,mallery9000 high fire ign. system.
    T-5 5speed
    8.8 rear with 4;10 posi cut to 55 3/4 in.
    Shelby type traction bars

http://public.fotki.com/falconeer/

26. NTAPHSE

NTAPHSE

27. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

I can’t complain about the mileage, but I can’t make a 100% accurate assertion about it, either. I suspect it’s in the range of 21-25 mpg. However (1) I haven’t filled the tank up completely yet and (2) the odometer is not trustworthy as the rear tires are the wrong diameter.

Mine, BTW:

[​IMG]

-Dave

28. lotus

lotus
    from Taft, CA

I drove my wifes Falcon from LA to Bakersfield (couple hundred miles), from taft to bakersfield and back (prob 70 miles total), from taft to lamont and back (prob 70-80 miles), and drove around town quite a bit and filled back up before hitting E.

Right now her car has I6 170 with three on the tree.

29. Ghostcruiser

Ghostcruiser
    from NE Florida

Don't tell me that, bro...I've got a brand-new, in-the-box set of 88400's in my shed, waiting to go on....I was hoping they would drop in easily, with no problems...;)
    Rob

30. falconeer

falconeer

Hey Rob,
    I think you missread my post.The hookers(long tube) are the ones that didn't clear any thing, The 88400s clear every thing. No problems except when you do the header pipe on the drivers side you have to tweek it a little for pitman clearence.Other than that they went on in no time.No clearence problems.Even good room for my clutch cable.
    Next is a new clutch, press. plate & throw out bearing.Then only minor mech. repairs, Then the body & interior.

Hang in there Sport
    The 88400s are great
    Butch Evans(Falconeer)
    Thomasville NC