Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features Ford Thunderbolts Photos Wanted

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Troublemaker427, Oct 11, 2006.

1. Dennis K.

Dennis K.
    from Detroit MI

OK, perhaps this goes along the lines of building a replica. Of these, how many are claiming to be an original FI car, then how would one verify this? Not certain if the Chev FI can support this by the VIN, patent plates, etc ... re engine type. With the T-Bolts unit traceability exists. In addition, the fact the T-Bolt was a low volume modified vehicle, makes it difficult to construct a 100% accurate vehicle.

I believe it would be easier to replicate an assembly line manufactured lightweight vehicle, say a 1963 or 1964 Lightweight Galaxie, than a Thunderbolt. Finding some of the rare components, might be the real challenge.

Back to my original question. How do the other clubs, organizations, or registries address reconstructed or rebodied vehicles?

Regards,
    Dennis

2. Big Mac

Big Mac
    1. Utah HAMBers

Not sure if these were already posted as I didn't go through all 80+pages of the post, but these two cars belong to a friend of mine:

3. Falconred

Falconred

I got this off the FordFE site, it was posted by Sol Stewart:

Hubert fell and broke his hip 3 weeks ago.....He spent a couple weeks in an Atlanta Hospital getting it pinned, etc. He is now in a convalescent hospital in the Atlanta area now receiving therapy. I talked to him last night...He sounded in good spirits....Says he hopes to go home in two weeks..

4. 64Cyclone

64Cyclone

This doesn't answer the question about what makes an original car exactly, but a pretty interesting article to read. From what I've heard, "vin washing" or re-bodying is what ended Unique Performance....the guys that were building all of the Eleanor replicas. The FBI got envolved and confiscated 61 cars that were sold off at auction.

http://www.sportscarmarket.com/Legal-Files/2008/July/

5. Race Artist

Race Artist

The attached page was found on the Dick Harrell site forum. This page is from the AHRA house organ publication TACH. I don't have the issue.
    Joel

Attached Files:

6. 64Cyclone

64Cyclone

Sort of what I was thinking. Cool pics...I wish I was more artistic but...

Attached Files:

• ddf.jpg
      ddf.jpg
      File size:
      35.3 KB
      Views:
  7. claymore

claymore
    BANNED

Ha I was at that Autorama shown in the post from Dick Harrel site above. Was 15 + and dieing to get my drivers license in July.

Capture.JPG

8. Falconred

Falconred

I've stood about where this photo was taken and watched some of those drivers blast down the track. Those were some of the best days of the sport of drag racing. You would have shows wHere both Platts and Steve Bagwell w/'63 Z-11 cars, Bonner and a couple more with '63 lightweights, several mopars and a pontiac or two would put on quite a show. The Strip Teaser Falcon was a sight to be hold "hopping" down track as was said about Bonner's falcon.

9. If someone were to fix a car like that, you'd potentially need a lot of off another car. A "resto" like that would be tricky because someone could have 70-100g's into the resto and it could end up being a car with the vin tags, some of the body, and that could be about it. But if the top cars are bringing over 300g's I could see someone going for it. If it was one of you guys I'd think that you'd try to keep as much of the original car as possible. I thought the V-Go car has a lot of replacement sheetmetal.

10. Dennis K.

Dennis K.
    from Detroit MI

I'm anxiously waiting for someone to post actual photos of the Sund T-Bolt as it appears today, however I don't expect this to ever happen. If this car ever resurfaced, it will take a lot of evidence and provenance not to be tagged a rebody or tribute car.

The other aspect is of a moral one. Not sure everyone would feel comtortable around a vehicle that someone died in.

The reality is not all of the T-Bolts survived. Some crashed or were scrapped and are gone.

Regards,
    Dennis

11. dlshady

dlshady

Amen, brother.....

Deron

12. Wayne Kerr

Wayne Kerr

Dave Lyall, who has posted some really great memories and information here, is recovering from scheduled bypass surgery.
    Thanks Dave, and get well soon.
    See you at the races,
    Wayne Kerr

13. oldtom69

oldtom69
    from grandin nd

in any other form of race car restoration no one seems too concerned if someone died in the car-thats why the car is restored,to honor the ones that drove them.not unusual to see a restored sprint car or midget that claimed more than one driver.aircraft restorations are commonly done after fatal crashes.dont think morals enters into it.to each his own

14. YellowLane

YellowLane

Thanks to all of the responders to this question. You all have given me many things to consider. Some of which, I hadn't really dwelled on. There were many times back when I used to rebuild late models that I would be pulling parts out of wrecked car and see more than I wanted to imagine. If I EVER do turn up a TBolt that I can afford, like that $9K deal that was posted earlier. :) I can absolutely see the value in this collective group of TBolt fans.

So, does anyone have a summary of the current stats? I lifted this quote posted by a T-Bolt authority that I found on a forum from 2007. Is it still current? How many of the 79 are confirmed scrapped?

"Of the 100 cars, there has been approximately 79 cars documented, leaving 21 cars still to be found, of these 21 cars there are unconfirmed rumors on two of them.

Of the 79 documented cars, 60 cars are still in existence in some shape or form. Of these 60, 13 cars have been rebodied, anywhere from "just a memory" to making use of components left from the original car, usually the lightweight parts. It is unfortunate that some of these cars were done just for someone to try to make a quick buck. I am aware of a number of the rebodied cars selling for six digit figures to the unknowing person.

Regards,
    Dennis K."

15. Dennis K.

Dennis K.
    from Detroit MI

80 are now documented, plus unconfirmed rumors on 2.
    Call it somewhere between 80 - 82.
    Original bodies that are gone, at least 20.

From above:
    "If I EVER do turn up a TBolt that I can afford, like that $9K deal that was posted earlier."
    Does anyone recall where this was posted?

Regards,
    Dennis

Last edited: Mar 17, 2010
  16. Kentuckian

Kentuckian

Dennis, check posts #499 and #500.

17. Dennis K.

Dennis K.
    from Detroit MI

I know of one on a ranch in OR. just waitin for me to come up and get when i get 9 grand... My wifes unkle came down a few months ago and was telling me about it and i was like ya what ever but when i went up up there, There she sat i do not know my Thunderbolt trivia but when he showed me the paperwork i was sold. Said he got it in 74 from a guy that bought a tractor from him and never paid for it.... The crazy thing is this guy did not know it was rare... His son is a minitrucker and was gonna cut it up and i showed him on line then he told his son NO WAY!!!
    <!-- / message -->

IF accurate, then this is most likely an undocumented car. Perhaps the poster could enlighten us on who's car it was, details of the "paperwork", photos, etc ... . I think for $9,000, most people would of simply bought it.

I'm aware of only one car in OR, and the car/owner certainly doesn't match this story.

Thanks Kentuckian for letting me know where the posting was located.

Regards,
    Dennis

18. mercuryjunky

mercuryjunky
    from arvada,co

19. mercuryjunky

mercuryjunky
    from arvada,co

Sorry if these were posted earlier.great pics

[​IMG]

20. 65COMET

65COMET

Ken;I can't get any pictures to show! ROY.

21. 64Cyclone

64Cyclone

Ken, any updates on the 64 Fairlane project?

22. mercuryjunky

mercuryjunky
    from arvada,co

Its been slow on the 64 fairlane project.Have all the front end mods done.Trying to decide what we are going to do out back.Should we do the small mini tub to the frame rail to run the 29.5 slick and run for fun.Or do we leave it un altered if we ever decide to do that aa/sa class for stock eliminator.Dads still tying to decide if we go race car vs street tribute.arguing over color and design,dads ,going to have to put him in shop time out,ha.I'll post some update pics this week along with the comet updates.

Did take quite a few pics of that McMillian T-bolt I'll post also.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2010
  23. 65COMET

65COMET

Ken;the pictures are showing now,I had not seen those two before.You and your father have alot of irons in the fire!!Tough call,street car verses race car,Stock is a tough class!! ROY.

24. mercuryjunky

mercuryjunky
    from arvada,co

The pics came from the super stock dodge and plymouth pics on the Hamb here.Went through them the other day.There is a lot of good shots there.I have to say sure glad that Dodge was there back in the day pushing Ford to be better and get faster.Can you imagine if Ford took the Chevrolet route and got out.Look at all the drivers the Chevrolet lost to both the Ford and Dodge camps.I just cant Imagine not having the Thunderbolts and A/FX comets,Falcons,Mustangs around.

25. 65COMET

65COMET

Ken;we would be driving one of those Bad Ass 64-65 Mopars!!!! ROY.

26. havi

havi

+1....my second favorites...Like Dick Landy.

27. mercuryjunky

mercuryjunky
    from arvada,co

Heres some pics of the McMillan Ford T-Bolt out of Houston,Tx that I got to see last week.Going to a local museum.Trying to talk the owner in putting on its war face.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

28. SuperStock427

SuperStock427
    from alabama

does anyone know who has the no 1 thunderbolt..I mean the first one!!! Not the first by VIN number.hint hint..lol

29. SuperStock427

SuperStock427
    from alabama

the no. 1 of the 100 64 -t-bolts..im sorry, figured everyone knew what i was talking about..

30. Falconred

Falconred

Look in the dictionary under Dick Brannon.