Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Front coil spring 55 chevy

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by flatmotor40, Sep 14, 2024.

1. flatmotor40

flatmotor40
    from georgia

Installed frt springs today and the shock hits the inside of spring.Installed tubler control arms from CPP.They have a curve to them installed.The spring were in the car before I put the control arms in.Used 5/8 threaded rod to install.Botto of spring in pocket of lower arm.Thanks for help.

2. MAD MIKE

MAD MIKE
    from 94577

What springs, shocks and where is it making contact?

3. Your springs are not seated correctly in the upper pocket.

4. flatmotor40

flatmotor40
    from georgia

I will remove them today if I have time.But I put hem in the bottom control arm and used a 5/8 threaded rod to compress spring to get it in the upper pocket.Will try to put upper in pocket first then compress spring.Thanks

chevy57dude likes this.
  5. flatmotor40

flatmotor40
    from georgia

Removed the springs and re seated in pocket with end of spring in hole on frame.reinstalle and did the same thing.I had these spring in this car since 1978.Just thinking is it the tubler arms but I put the bottom factory arm in and it did the same thing.Real mind blower.I will keep at it.CPP said it will settle down when I put engine and car back together.We will see.Thanks for post.If you can think of anything else fill free to let me know.

6. Think you asked your own question.With out the engine 55 Chevys look like Gassers.Add all the power train weight,and the springs resettle.

Budget36 likes this.
  7. I can tell you from personal experience the springs just about cannot be installed correctly in the upper and lower pockets without completely removing the lower A arm. The arm has to be loose, seat the spring top & bottom. Then draw it together squarely with a huge piece of all thread in place of the shock. Leaving the 2 lower blots in the A arm won't give enough arc to locate the spring.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2024 at 11:05 AM
  8. Budget36

Budget36

Answered, but I’d tend to agree. May have been good in the opening post to mention the engine wasn’t in the car;)

9. 20240918_175819.jpg this is what the spring on my '55 looks like hanging on the lift. Similar to yours?

Just Gary and Budget36 like this.
  10. flatmotor40

flatmotor40
    from georgia

Yes I put the springs back in with the threaded rod and now I will try to get engine cleaned and painted,Put it back in frame and get on with the body on the rotisserie.Just never had this happen but never with the body off this car.Did my 71 Monte Carlo with frame only with no trouble.The springs are a little heavier weight on the 55 to get the frt end up some.Thanks

chevy57dude likes this.
  11. Oneball

Oneball

Have you got the rubber buffer in place that limits the drop of the front suspension?

12. Get a few beefy friends to stand on the bumper or in the engine bay before doing anything else. See how it looks then.

I use a spring compressor that has 4 hooks and goes inside the spring. I take pains to make sure the top is seated.

In the past I have wedged packing styrofoam to keep the spring in place up top. It falls out easily after the car is let down or digs out. I use a light and mirror to align the top.

chevy57dude and Just Gary like this.
  13. There is a small hole in the top of the frame that you can see the pigtail end of the spring, I paint the first 1" of the spring with white paint to make it ez to see. You want it seated just right.

14. flatmotor40

flatmotor40
    from georgia

yes I have it seated and can see the end of the spring in the hole.I think I put heaver spring in this car years ago and maybe that is why.Removed them yesterday and reinstall and still the same.I even rolled it under my 4 post lift with a car on it and put he weight on the frame on the rotisserie and the spring would move some with a floor jack under the a arm.Hope it will work after I put car back together.Thanks

chevy57dude likes this.