Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Gene (Moonlighter) Cromer's A/G Willys Resurrection

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Quain Stott, Aug 31, 2012.

1. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

I was able to get the pics from yesterday to come through this morning I thought they were gone for good. This one is the almost finished firewall Still some sanding to be done. The out side sheet metal pieces will be painted, the aluminum will be polished like before. It will hide the front bars good when a complete engine is installed I think the bar that shows in the pic will hardly be noticed.[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 25, 2013
    Mtn Goat and kidcampbell71 like this.
  2. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

I've been getting a few emails asking how I made the end caps on the dash so I thought I would show some details on the top for the shifter cover it's going to be made the same way.I have a lot of different dolly's that I have made over the years to do different things this one is round on one corner and has an angle on another for rolling a lip.[​IMG]

3. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

Here's the dolly in being used to roll the lip in the rounded corner. I'm to be the photographer and metal man at the same time.[​IMG]

4. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

The same dolly using the bevel to roll the straight side.[​IMG]

Mtn Goat likes this.
  5. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

The finished lip all the way around.[​IMG]

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  6. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

A test fit in the car.[​IMG]

Mtn Goat likes this.
  7. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

From the other side you can see why it had to have the odd shape to clear the linkage. It would have been a lot easier to have mounted a newer model cable shifter in the Moonlighter be we know that ant going to happen. This is the shifter that was in the car when it was parked.[​IMG]

8. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

Now for the top cap. It's a little easier to roll this lip. I made a die for my bead roller to do this I think you can buy these it's called a tipping die but they are easy to make. It's just a flat surface on the bottom and a rounded edge on top you just tilt the metal how ever much you want your lip. It can be used for a lot of other things also.[​IMG]

Mtn Goat likes this.
  9. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

The finished top.[​IMG]

Mtn Goat likes this.
  10. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

Now you just weld it up then sand the weld back off. When doing it this way you should weld the back side also if not it will crack later. Most of the top will be cut out I'll just leave a small lip to bolt a removable cover to later.[​IMG]

11. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

The other side there is still some final sanding to be done but it was getting late last night I was beat.[​IMG]

Mtn Goat likes this.
  12. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

This is some great workmanship!

13. AHotRod

AHotRod

Incredible craftsmanship !

14. hippy killer

hippy killer

15. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

Not much to post today I've laid out and drilled what seamed like about 1000 rivet holes. Did a lot of filling and sanding the edges of the sheet metal trying to get ready for final assembly. Here's the trans cover with the hole cut for the shifter it had to be this big to come off around the shifter. I'm thinking about a removable panel that will bolt to the top to fill in the big hole if I have time. Remember this side looks odd to clear the linkage.[​IMG]

16. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

The other side[​IMG]

Mtn Goat likes this.
  17. bowtie40

bowtie40

Very cool, it's all in the details...

18. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

Looks like a 65-66 Mustang shifter.

19. Lytles Garage

Lytles Garage

BITCHIN tin work Quain!! Chris

20. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

That's right early Mustang it's the one that Gene had in it when it was parked. It looks like there was some work done to the notches to change the shift pattern but I don't know what a stock one looks like in that area.

Mtn Goat likes this.
  21. Gassy

Gassy
    from Tennessee

Very nice Quain. I love this thread.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2013
  22. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

These wheelie bars were put on the moonlighter around 67 or 68 I think. Gene can tell us for sure. They are made from an old leaf spring.[​IMG]

23. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

This is what I came up with to mount them. If we have time we are going to build a set of bumper mount wheelie bars also that way we can set it up like it was in the early 60s for shows.[​IMG]

24. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

I got a good start on the panhard bar mount. We are going to use the original mount for the other side it's still on the chassis.[​IMG]

25. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

It's been over 40 years since these wheelie bars have been hanging under the Moonlighter. Now they are back home.[​IMG]

26. edweird

edweird

ya bringing it back quain. fantastic work!

27. Bad Banana

Bad Banana

I discovered when I put my dad's car back together that when you dig these old parts out and hold them up to the car you don't really expect them to still fit but I was amazed at how many of them just fell into place much easier than I could imagine. I think Quain will agree that rebuilding an old car like this using as many old parts as you can does seem to go faster somehow. Maybe it is because you don't keep second guessing yourself when building a piece, mounting a bracket, ect. It is already done and you just need to put it back. Hard to describe but it seems kinda magical... like the car is helping you and wants to race again..especially when you are there alone with it.:eek:

Sorry if I meandered off there for a minute...carry on.. :D

28. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

Your right sometimes it does feel magical like if the car could talk it would say thanks. It's neat to be able to see the effort that was put into this car over 40 years ago when times were a lot different.

29. brian55lvr

brian55lvr
    from ma

love this rebuild---great craftsmanship

30. Quain.. OT but will you be at ZMAX in April? A bunch of us are coming down. We will make that one of our in the pits stops. Again great work. Your real reward will come at Henderson.