Register now to get rid of these ads!

Going to UN-r*t the Rod,27 chrysler rebuild

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rottenleonard, Feb 13, 2010.

1. rottenleonard

rottenleonard

well time for an update, did a little work on the rear suspention, converting it from the ladder bars to a four link.

here's what I had
    [​IMG]

Started by removing the ladder bars, and made stome 1/4" plywood templates to match the existing plates.
    [​IMG]

Then mounted that on to my plasma tracer I built last year(patting myself on the back:D)

[​IMG]

It works pretty slick just follows the pattern on the top,

[​IMG]

and cuts it on the bottom

[​IMG]

after a little cleanup

[​IMG]

Then drilled to match the existing plates, also had to enlarge the holes in the existing plates, I didn't have a 90* drill that would run a 1/2 bit so I had to improvise:p. Ground a bit to fit a 12mm socket and ran it with my air wratchet, worked good!

[​IMG]

Then bolted everything together, Dad's going to make the link bars on the lathe, and I'll weight to weld the plates until they are in place.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. shinysideup

shinysideup
    BANNED
    from ruskin, fl

Great work! Id like to know how to build that plasma tracer machine.

3. rottenleonard

rottenleonard

Next was a little work on the dent behind the drivers door, I got the body back from the blasters so I'm glad to get going on it.

Here is the damage

[​IMG]

I got it cut out and ready for a patch.

[​IMG]

And then made a set of dies to press out the style line it took a couple of tries and what i ended up with was still pretty hokey but I only needed one patch and it come out good, uses some scrap aluminum, walnut and 3/4" rod in the arbor press.

[​IMG]

trimmed to fit and held in place with panel clamps that I made.

[​IMG]

and tacked it in

[​IMG]

I'll finish welding it as I go I'm going to start fixing the rear quarters so I have something to do while the tacks cool otherwise I get impatient and do too much welding and warp things

[​IMG]

Thats all for now, I sure appreciate the comments, (good and bad)
    It a bitchin motivator!

4. rottenleonard

rottenleonard

Hmmmm, there is a tech week coming up.....:D

5. doctorZ

doctorZ

great job saving it! i want to see more on that tracer though!!!

6. Dynaflash_8

Dynaflash_8
    from Auburn WA

great job so far!

7. claymore

claymore
    BANNED

Real nice metal work. Nice following an artist at work.

8. A little photoshop inspiration for you. Can´t wait to see this done.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 17, 2010
  9. jason65

jason65

Fantastic job dude.

10. Great work, you got skills man!

11. Well then that makes you a real rodder.
    We shouldn't forget that jalopies were never considered to be done. Now you know what bugs still need to be worked out.
    As my long deceased friend and partner (Lynn Chandler) used to say, "There's nuthin' left but just a finishin' up."
    Can't wait to see thr "finished" product.

Uh never mind I think I just saw the finished product.
    I like it.

12. Russian

Russian

very nice rebuild and very nice photoshop as allways

13. I'm enjoying watching your build. Great work. I used the same engine paint on my project, I love that color. I'm looking forward to the next update.

14. rottenleonard

rottenleonard

Wow, Just made my new wallpaper!! Thanks that was very cool.

15. This might not mean much as you don't know me But I'm proud of you. Good job

16. the-rodster

the-rodster

That plasma tracer is the dog's dick!

Your fab skills are impressive, you deserve to have a nicer ride.

Rich

17. '54Caddy

'54Caddy

Wow great work. That plasma tracer is sweet, i'd like to see how you built that, very good idea.

18. Johnny C.

Johnny C.

Great job. It is turning out great.

19. rottenleonard

rottenleonard

Been busy getting ready for the portland swap meet, had a great time there, and I'm going to be getting back to the chrysler now.
    I bought some wheels that I've never seen befor but look to be an older design by the way they are built, the guy selling them called them Hollywood discs and said they were made in the mid sixty's(can anyone verify this?) I wouldn't think the fake knock off's would not have been original would they? I'll have to find some more traditional centercaps.
    I paid 2 bills for them hope I didn't get hurt there.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. rottenleonard

rottenleonard

Well got two solid days in on the hot rod, the cars looking a little different now, hope i can pull it off.

The car was manufactured with a parting line below the upper belt line, I've always thought it would be cool to make the top into a removable hard top, so with the thought of watch things happen, make things happen, or wonder what the fuck happend off came the top.

After the initial "oh crap what have I done" and a few hours of work I'm feeling pretty stoked about it, I have most of it figured (two sets of doors on lift off hinges) with the exeption of how to make some quick releases for removing the top, so any suggestions would be appreciated.

Anyways off with her head!!!!!

[​IMG]

This wasn't a new idea I had, I had fixed the windshield header with this in mind when i initially built the car but never followed threw.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

These panels were on the inside I assume for mounting the original interior, I decided to reuse them instead of reinventing the wheel

[​IMG]

The had a lump in the center that needed removed to make the seam flat and then I taked them together and welded them to the outer skin, The way that their horizontal width changes lookes good to my eye and looks less home made.

[​IMG]

the lump

[​IMG]

no more lump

[​IMG]

next I needed a filler panel to go between the modified original panels and into the trunk, I made it from some 20 ga, folded two creases and then made a v-shaped punch to press the area that would be between the rear of the cab and the trunk, I used the punch in the arbor press to press the sheetmetal around a section of pipe to form a curve matching the quarter panels.

[​IMG]

Trimed a welded in

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next I cut out the mangled sheat metal from the upper quarter panels-trunk opening, and formed patches on the streacher

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and finished up the portions where the cab seam meets the door jamb, as well as cut out the old riveted rocker panels and repair properly, as well as fill in the original hinge holes left after suisiding the doors, and patched the turn signal holes, and a few outher odds and ends.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I figure I have a good solid days work rebuilding the taillight panel, and making the rear inerfenders look more presentable, then it will be on to building doors from scratch, that should be a learning experience.

21. lorodz

lorodz

looks great ...keep it up....

22. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

How long is that driveshaft yoke? It looks to be barely stuck into the transmission as the seal wear mark is visible inside that iron cage!

23. rottenleonard

rottenleonard

It is a really long yoke, it will only slide in anouther 3/4" It's been a while but I think that it was the one that was in the trans originally.

I also got the tires on the rims last week.

[​IMG]

24. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

I've got to agree with many others here that your car is developing a whole new, and much better and refined, personality. Congratulations on your great work and perception of how to make an OK car into a really good car!

I've got a set of those Hollywood Wheel Disc wheels on my Old Roadster with Chevy bolt pattern and another pair with Dodge/Ford pattern for my 33 Dodge axle for another roadster project.

25. bonez

bonez
    from Slow lane

Great work dude, love the removable top idea.
    The Hollywood rims are slick, i just discovered hollywood a couple months ago w/ a much rarer set (attached), still a very nifty wheel!
    Congrats.

[​IMG]

26. RQuantz

RQuantz
    from Las Vegas

Nice work. Doing a good job bringing this one back. Like a few have said, it's developing a personality and I like the creative work you've done.

27. Russian

Russian

Keep up the good progress, the car is turning out great. Convertible hardtop will be cool, i hope you make it work

28. Pir8Darryl

Pir8Darryl

Fantastic work. I'll be watching for the finished product!!!

29. rottenleonard

rottenleonard

I like those, they almost look like a buick drum turned inside out:)