Register now to get rid of these ads!

Growing up, I remember...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 3wLarry, May 27, 2010.

1. At 11 and 9 years old nothing had a schedule accept dinner, bed, and school time! It seemed like the train schedule happened every time you took the bridge!

2. I remember junkyards full of old stuff that we'd give our eye teeth for now. I knew the inventory of the local junkyards as well as their owners did, sometimes better. Paying $5 in 1970 for a NOS left front fender for the '38 Ford pickup. Remember when our whole phone number in Rockmart GA was 2019, no area code or prefix, and in Cedartown, up until 1961, they had one, two, and three digit phone numbers and an operator who came on the line and said "Number, please." Just like Mayberry.

Atwater Mike and falcongeorge like this.
  3. Party lines for our 4 digit phone number.

4. Boatmark

Boatmark

I'm not as old as some, but I remember . . . .

Staring out the roof windows of my Mom's Vista Cruiser wagon. (every family had a wagon!)

Being pissed that my Dad insisted I only put Amoco "white" gas in the hand me down Austin Healey I drove in high school - I mean, that stuff is expensive . . . it's almost 90 cents!!

Learning to drive in a Three on the Tree.

Saturday night bonfire parties out west of town. (Ft. Lauderdale) - fires courtesy of excess pallets "borrowed" from behind the local Lindsley Lumber store.

Always having a friend who worked at Kentucky Fried Chicken (Pre-KFC!) who would save all the unsold chicken so there was food at the bonfire. Hit the drive-thru, order a three piece dinner, leave with 200 pieces of chicken, fries, and a small coke. :)

Parking on the beach with your girl - when the beach parking was front tires pulled into the sand on A1A, and there were a lot of dark spots along the beach before it was all developed.

Driving down the beach sand in a buddy's Jeep so you could drive up and shine your brights into the windshield of unsuspecting guys parked on the beach. (see above)

Bribing my sister to let me borrow her very sedate Impala for first dates to meet the girls parents - Fathers of young girls DID NOT like my custom van. Murals on the outside, comfortable bed and lava lamps on the inside. Not father friendly!

For that matter, who remember Lava Lamps, psychodelic wallpaper, and a black light.

Maverick Daddy likes this.
  5. Boatmark

Boatmark

I guess this is sort of fitting for this thread.

We are all talking about the simple times - when windows had a crank, doors opened with a key, and three pedals were likely to be found under the dash. Today I was reading one of the popular new car magazines, and a writer was musing about having bought a commuter car about six months ago knowing that the manufacturer was about to bring out a new version of that popular model.

Now after driving the new car he wasn't sorry that he had the previous model. The new car had a little crisper styling, a few more horsepower, a little more torque, and some significant suspension improvements. But no, losing out on those didn't bother him. The one item that made him wish he had the new one? The fact that the bluetooth interface on his car required that when listening to music from the phone, if he wanted to skip to the next song he had to actually PICK UP the phone and press skip. On the new car it could be done from a steering wheel button.

I put down the magazine with the immediate realization that at 50, I am now old. But I guess I sort of knew that - when print and television ad's for new cars stopped telling me about performance and handling, and started focusing on the personal electronic interface.

6. 41GASSER

41GASSER

Having many brothers school teachers were allowed to spank us at any time.

Having green apple fights with the Kentucky hill billys across the street.

Taking long car trips across the country where dad smoked non stop and drank beer like water and seat belts were not worn and fear of a DUI didn't exist.

Have to get up to change the channel to the other three channels on the black and white TV.

You had to go home when street lights came on.

Dragging wood hydroplanes behind or bikes and playing cards in the spokes.

Baseball cards smelled like that hard as rock flat pink gum.

Phone numbers started with letters not numbers.

Milk at the end of the month was often made from powder and water.

Gas was the standard thing dad used to deal with ant and bees nests.

Maryann was hotter than Ginger.

Jeans and t-shirts were not allowed at school.

Dang I suddenly feel old.

7. crusty&rusty

crusty&rusty

Back in the sixties my cousin belonged to the high school gun club. I remember seeing him waiting for the bus in the morning with his 22 rifle in hand.
    Up here in Canada we can only buy booze at the LCBO(liquor control board of Ontario) and back in the sixties they were worried about our abuse of alcohol so all the booze was hidden in a back room . You had to fill out some special form with your request, cash and an age of majority card and then slide it thru a slot to a person behind a window. If your purchase was approved they came out with your bottle in a brown paper bag .
    Also remember crossing the border at Niagara Falls to check out Fregos speed shop in NF New York. We would drive over with a set of junk wheels & tires on our cars and buy a set of N-50's & Cragars ,install them and leave the old ones at the curb. The exchange on the the dollar was so good at the time we could buy them for half the price we paid back home.
    Chopped my first car when I was twelve -a 32 sedan by Revell. Loved the smell of that glue - amazed I never got hooked on it! I knew I was going to chop a real one some day. Made it happen over forty years later.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2015
    Atwater Mike likes this.
  8. KRB52

KRB52
    from Conneticut

Sunday dinners where everything on the table except the milk came from our small farm.

Atwater Mike and Maverick Daddy like this.
  9. I bet some of you guys rember helping Moses out

10. deto

deto

Hahaha

11. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Toluol. Some folks were known to have sniffed this stuff, with purported loss of brain cells.

Atwater Mike and Maverick Daddy like this.
  12. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Cool. Can you imagine that now?
    BTW, love this first post from a HAMBer who joined 3-1/2 years ago. I lurked for quite a while also, it's never too late to jump in!

13. My dad brought a Japanese issue military rifle complete with bayonet home from WWII. In the 5th grade (1961), while we were studying WWII, I took it, with bayonet, to school for show-and-tell. I had the teachers permission to bring it as long as I didn't bring bullets. The principal came down to the class...to see the rifle.

Saxman, loudbang and Maverick Daddy like this.
  14. traffic61

traffic61
    from Owasso, OK

I remember when Mr. Fleming, my sixth grade science teacher, would break out his old hand crank telephone generator and have us all hold hands to see who could tolerate the juice the longest. Good Lord, do that today and the ACLU and Amnesty International would be on your ass like a duck on a junebug. It wasnt't torture, it was a learning experience.
    I grew up in a rural school district and most of us with pickups had a gun rack on the back cab wall, often with a shotgun in in it. Our principal was a hunter and gun enthusiast and often re-blued guns for us as part of our science class. One thing he always preached, was gun safety. We never had school shootings back then, just fistfights. Just having a bullet in your car these days is automatic suspension. I guess that I did see some good old days after all.

loudbang and Maverick Daddy like this.
  15. Maverick Daddy

Maverick Daddy

I remember when sunday was a day of rest, companies took care of there employees,women didnt act like miley cirus,and musicians actually had to have talent!

16. In a few years today's youth will call bullshit on this.

My 14 year old nephew can not read cursive script. I asked him how will he know what's in grandpas love letters to grandma or what the US constitution really says about his rights and how will you know if "they" are correct when "they" tell you what your rights are.

17. Maverick Daddy

Maverick Daddy

Amen Brother

18. 117harv

117harv

Walking a mile to the public swimming pool, checking your clothes into a basket and clipping the key to your shorts. Going to the snack bar outside after swimming to fill up on candy.

I live in Oregon, so driving up to the mountains to cut a Christmas tree.

Cutting fire wood with dad every year and having to split and stack it when we got home. Standing in front of the fire place, later a stove until the back of your pant legs would almost burn you.

Watching a small TV that the repair shop would loan you while yours was being fixed.

Mom telling me to be home in time for dinner when leaving the house in the morning during summer vacation.

The whole valley covered in a black cloud from the diesel smudge pots in the spring as orchards were everywhere.

Chavezk21, loudbang and wingnutz like this.
  19. In high school auto class we were knocking rust out of the rear quarters with a pick hammer and about 40 rounds of 30 ought 6 rounds fell to the floor!

20. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hehe . . . in high school, we would crank up the Van de Graaff generator while one guy laid his hand on the globe, with a chain of enough people so that the last guy on the chain would be standing just outside the room in the hall. As some poor sucker walked by, he would zap him with his index finger, usually on the cheek. Stupid fun (that was h.s.)

loudbang likes this.
  21. i.rant

i.rant
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1940 Ford

Some early Chicago tv
    Uncle Johnny Coons
    Garfield Goose
    Two Ton Baker
    Elmer the elephant
    Stock car races at Santa Fe Speedway, dirt track
    Amos and Andy
    Other stuff:
    Popsicle sticks laying around
    Slipper sox
    Blackjack gum
    The smell of city buses leaving the traffic signal
    Streetcars
    My little league coaches taking us to "away games" in their cars and afterwards going to a little tavern for pop and they would have a few beers..........unreal now
    My step dad painting my moms 52 Buick in the driveway with a Kirby vacuum cleaner,I still have it and it works on the carpet in my garage
    Cuban heels with horseshoe cleats
    Three Flowers pomade, true greaser hair product
    Everyone having the Clay Smith Cams decal on their car in the early 60's
    Rope towing my car for 90 blocks down Harlem Ave........try that now!
    Using floor wax on my new 70 Chevelles tires to make them shine,had to keep those Mickey Thompsons looking good next to my new Cragers, that's what we called"tits"
    What a great thread, I hope it keeps on keepin' on.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

loudbang and Maverick Daddy like this.
  22. 117harv

117harv

23. gas & guns

gas & guns

In my book....
    Sunday is still the day of rest.
    Some companies take care of their workers, but few and far between.
    And Miley, who the hell called her a woman? They should be slapped.
    Far as musicians go, when I turn on a radio playing the top 40....
    All I can think of is a joke by truck stop comedian Gene Tracy about a piccolo player.

24. henryj1951

henryj1951
    from USA

ya he had 15 commandments until he tripped and dropped 5..:cool:

25. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

We still do this, more or less. Outdoor public pool about a mile from my house, free all summer. But ours is more old school than this, just cinder block "cubby holes" to put your clothes in. I LOVE taking my daughter there, because its JUST like the outdoor public pool I used as a child in the mid sixties.
    About the only thing I can share with her that IS still the same as when I was a kid...

55 Ford Gasser likes this.
  26. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!

Guessing what car (at night) was in the oncoming lane based on its headlight placement or configuration etc.!

27. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

The extremely painful period between 14 and 16 years old, wanting my first car but having to settle with building model cars.
    My mother did let me get my 61 Impala just after I passed my learners permit, and my best friend who was 6 months older got to drive it (legally) before I could.

28. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

can't believe this thread is still going...still get a kick out of reading it when it pops back to the top

kidcampbell71 and 40fordtudor like this.
  29. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Thanks for the thread three dubya, kinda takes you back to the simpler times huh.
    Forgot my minibike powered by a Mac 10 racekart engine, my friends had B&S and Clinton powered bikes, but were no match for the Mac.

Paul B and 3wLarry like this.
  30. gatz

gatz

grew up on a farm in the 50's - 60's
    outdoor "facilities" until 1960

Helped cousins bring in some recalcitrant calves by riding on the fenders of a 57 Fairlane 500 and wrestling them to the ground.

Recall my Grandpa saying in the early 60.'s.."I sure would like to live another lifetime, for all the shit I've seen in this one."
    He was born in 1880 and passed on in 62. Sure miss him. He gave me his old Horner button accordion; the one he'd play at the dances. Still got it.

Re current "musicians" & "movie stars"......it must be an age thing, because I have no idea who the heck these people are. (My parents may have said the same thing when they reached the ripe old age of 60 or so.)

Y & S licorice...kinda had a "Y" shape to it....not like Twisters at all!
    Sen-Sen breath freshener that would knock your socks off.

Yes, Sundays were a day of rest. Before cars, I'd get to buy a model kit and spent most of the afternoon building it. IIRC, those kits were about $1.25... never over $2
    Which pretty much took all of my "allowance"
    Sunday was "Dad's day" We always had chili.....winter, summer, didn't matter.
    And Cherry-Nut ice cream.....grew to dislike that immensely

Mom always did the crossword puzzle. It was a mystery to me; but now, I do them every day + 2 on Sunday.

Lots of "westerns" back then. Gunsmoke & Paladin of course. Wanted Dead or Alive, The Rifleman,
    Maverick.

Party lines. our number was 12F212, but it was a rotary dial

IIRC, Grpa's number was 12F14; they still had the crank phone.

When the phone company put in a new system back then, they couldn't even get 50 cents for one of those wooden wall phones....a lot of them got taken to the "dump"....not the landfill.

Oh yeah.... MAD magazine... Don Martin Steps Out lolol
    Spy vs Spy