Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods I scored a 1932 Hudson coupe, are they rare?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by wldtrout, May 30, 2015.

1. wldtrout

wldtrout
    from montana

After 15 years of periodic badgering, I was finally able to purchase this 1932 Hudson coupe body and frame. It is definitely one of the cleanest bodies I have ever purchased. I don't know anything about Hudsons. Is this a rare body style? I am missing a couple of essential parts, if anybody has a few parts or knows where I might find some I would really appreciate some information. Thanks for letting me share my story.

Attached Files:

SPEC, kidcampbell71, -Brent- and 3 others like this.
  2. volvobrynk likes this.
  3. I guess Montana kept it well preserved.Nice looking coupe.

4. Don't know much about Hudsons, but it's an attractive body style, and you'll probably have the only '32 Hudson at your local cruise-in.

40fordtudor likes this.
  5. Very nice body. What's the story behind it? What tales it could tell us, I'll bet...

6. wldtrout

wldtrout
    from montana

I have been driving past this car sitting in the back corner of a field for at least 20 years. I finally stopped about 15 years ago for the first time. NOT FOR SALE. Same story over and over every time I stopped. Finally last night, out for a drive in the chopped 37 pickup. Decided to stop and see if I can make an offer. Guys says he will sell it for exactly what I was planning to offer. Didn't haggle a bit, paid up and feel really lucky to get it. Don't know what the plans are but I think it should be pretty cool.

kidcampbell71 and volvobrynk like this.
  7. wldtrout

wldtrout
    from montana

I don't think this is a Terraplane, think its a greater eight coupe. It is 119" wheelbase as far as I can tell.

8. wldtrout

wldtrout
    from montana

9. harpo1313

harpo1313
    from wareham,ma

Yes a very handsome car ,suicides and a slim visor.

volvobrynk likes this.
  10. Save it !!!! And have fun, The end may be closer than we think.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  11. The37Kid

The37Kid

[​IMG]Great find! Found this photo on the web. Bob

12. The37Kid

The37Kid

HUDSON built a good looking car for the INDY 500 in 1932. This one was in England last I knew. Bob

[​IMG]

13. I helped my 69 year old friend, Mr Cheery, do some bodywork, prep and I painted his '32 Hudson.
    He just had the body shell, so he used 32 Ford glass fenders and a Deuce grille shell.
    He has had this body since he was 16.

Attached Files:

14. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    from Texas

I think it's bitching! Will it take me 15 years of periodic badgering to get you to sell it to me so I can turn it into a hot rod? :)

15. hudson48

hudson48

16. clem

clem

Obviously rare, by the comments and lack of knowledge. Not many as hot rods, but will look good as one!

17. clem

clem

I know, start a thread called " How many of you are working on a '32 Hudson ? "

18. A 1932 Essex Terraplane Special Coupe was built, and the first one built, was givin to aviation pioneer, Orville Wright, as part of the announcement ceremonies. The special Coupe was different from the Standard Coupe, by more chrome trim, and fender lights.

So Hudson built Terraplane Coupes in 32.

The Standard Coupe could be had, with or without a rumble seat, and 16581 units sold from July to the end of the year.

The Hudson road is an interesting one, I never took much notice of em, until I owned one, now I have two, and a fast growing collection of Hudson car parts.

I'm keen to see what you do with this.

kidcampbell71 and 37hotrod like this.
  19. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

1. Essex Super 6, E & EC models, 113" WB, 17,453 units;
    2. Terraplane 6, K model, 106" WB, 16,581 units; and
    3. Greater 8, T, U & L models, 119", 126" & 132" WB, 7,777 units
    http://www.carnut.com/specs/gen/huds30.html

volvobrynk likes this.
  20. Anything 83 years old is rare except houses and politicians. That will look nice if you can locate the front end parts.

chopped and kidcampbell71 like this.
  21. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Hudson was one of the smaller independents. 1932 was one of the worst years ever for car sales. Coupes were a lot less popular than sedans. And, of whatever 32 Hudson coupes were made, over 90% have been scrapped. So yes it is a rare car. Probably less than 100 left in the world. Certainly less than 1000.

22. aaggie

aaggie

There are a lot of Hudson clubs in Australia so check there for parts. I found that out when I built a Terraplane sedan. The cars were easy to convert to right hand drive and the bolt holes were in the passenger side frame for mounting the steering box. Even things like the glove box door and dash panel for the clock could be swapped side for side.
    Good luck with your coupe, it's a beauty.

23. vintage6t

vintage6t
    from CT

Nice score! Some pics of my 34 Hudson.

34 Hudson Pic1.jpg Hudson_At_Rumblers.jpg

24. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

Darn nice old Hudson . Kudos for being so persistent , and getting the sucker. Fix it up and enjoy being different ! Stick a different driveline in it - no belly button for a cool ride like that !

25. 32 hudson

32 hudson

Nice score and a very nice body. Wish my body was as good as yours and you have rear fenders and a frame also. Mine was just a rough New England body with unfinished chopped top, doors and deck lid( trunk) not a rumble seat lid. I have been told mine is a 1932 Essex Terraplane coupe. The 32's have the windshield visor and 33's do not. Otherwise they are identical. I would like to find a 1932v serial number plate ( 350000 - 364124 ) that goes on the fire wall for mine. My coupe is an in progress on going build. There are pictures in my album and my avatar.

Yes 1932's are very very rare. The rarest of all Hudson Essex Terraplanes. Good luck with your project in what ever direction it goes. I am subscribed. So there are at least 2 1932 coupes on the HAMB and there is cabriolet also. I do not remember if it is 32 or 33 vintage. I do know and have seen a cabriolet body stored In Maine. My friend in Maine has a 33 coupe that they drag race currently. He also had a 32 sedan street road years ago.
    Steve

26. clem

clem

^^^^^ finally, someone with the answer you were looking for !
    And what an awesome looking rod above.

27. wldtrout

wldtrout
    from montana

Might be a very short thread

kidcampbell71 and Peanut 1959 like this.
  28. indyjps

indyjps

When you build it, it needs a unique powerplant. Cant wait to see it come together. I like the rear quarters, the feature line doesn't carry thru to the quarters. That pass rear fender may be salvageable, at least you have the other side as a template.

volvobrynk likes this.
  29. olcurmdgeon

olcurmdgeon

indyjps, a Rambler Scrambler?

30. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

Or a Hudson Hornet would be unique flathead 6 and they were pretty powerful, won a lot of races back in the day.
    They even came with dual carbs from the factory! :cool:

volvobrynk likes this.