Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical if you have one of those 40 ford deluxe steering wheels for three hole mount

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by nobby, Jul 8, 2023.

1. nobby

nobby

you are supposed to mount the grant adaptor inside the wheel, and not sit the wheel on the adaptor
    just done this today,
    step 1.
    tap the horn button and spring retainer out
    take the grant adaptor and lightly sand it on its edges so it actually goes in
    take the adaptor out and drill through 5mm from the top
    tap it 1/4 all the way through
    counter sink the holes on the bottom of the wheel to take 1/4 counter sink machine screws
    you can have a nylock atop the threads sticking through and it will still clear the button
    if you only have m6 countersink machine screws, they will work.
    dont forget to bend down the horn button x3 prongs a smidge if the damn thing wont go on
    i suppose tou could fit it either way, but if you need the wheel closer you can

2. 36 Tourer

36 Tourer

Thanks for the tip, I just fit a repro 40 Ford steering wheel to my project 46 and I did not intend to use that adaptor piece, I thought it was for a different application I just bolted the wheel to the boss that I had for the column.
    The wheel is away at paint at the moment but I will have a closer look to install that piece when I get it back from the painter.