Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features If you have pics of scallop paint jobs, post em up

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dr.Theo, Jun 16, 2007.

1. Rambling Rudy

Rambling Rudy

2. spiffy1937

spiffy1937
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Florida

Here's a '32 built by a friend, Corky Hibbard, RIP.

Attached Files:

3. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2022-6-23_9-31-47.png
    Hello,

I was reading your old post on color slides and sizes for scanning. I have several scanners from the built in color printer scanners for everyday use like most folks. We use it for scanning our important papers or print outs to an external hard drive. (another story) But, when I was organizing my left over color slides (25 Kodak Carousel slide holders at maximum capacity) that were still around, I needed something better than the daily scanner/printer.

So I bought an Epson v600 photo scanner. It was a scanner of all scanners and had everything I needed to start scanning my color slides into organized digital folders. Once hooked up and ready, the process looked daunting, but setting aside some time everyday in the office did help.

Insert the color slides, push the button and let the scanner copy and move your images to a digital file on your home computer. It was all nice and neat. If you know the dates, label each folder for dates and places. If you don’t know the dates, then a digital folder with a place name will do until you can figure the date out.

There were no adjustments to be made at the initial scanning. The machine looks and transfers it in true color or black and white. The 35mm color slides were in great color from kodak, so the transferred images were true to life. The 2.25 x 2.25 kodak color slides came out like magazine cover shots.

The important thing is to make sure you clean carefully on both sides as the scanner picks up every single dust mote and loose eye lashes to create a digital nightmare. Most of those marks can be deleted on a photo editing program that computers have. But, if you get the items off the slides first, then you have a extended dust free image forever.

Jnaki

I took apart my whole office and took photos of the scanner in the process. Once finished, the normal everyday printer/scanner does a good job. So, the high tech v600 scanner got taken apart and stored in a cabinet until????
    upload_2022-6-23_9-33-42.png
    The old modern style office arrangement was getting old, so we streamlined it with new cabinets and glass desks. Now, the normal computer is hidden and the only thing showing are the monitors and keyboard. The CPU is out of sight and the printer is also in the same area. When I was taking apart the old furniture and cabinets, I took a photo of the v600 scanner in its teardown form.
    upload_2022-6-23_9-38-6.png
    If you set up the scanner next to your computer screen, then the process of lifting the lid and replacing the countless slides is a lot easier. Side opening is easier than a front lifting lid.
    upload_2022-6-23_9-39-5.png
    The slide holder is the key as each slide is firmly fit and during the scan, won’t move. The v600 it as part of the package. But, the steel unit can be modified to fit the smaller 110 negatives/slides. A scan at 300 dpi is just as good as a 600 dpi scan. The 600 takes twice the scanning time, if you choose that level. I did a 1200 dpi scan and it was just as good as a 300.
    upload_2022-6-23_9-39-43.png
    Most upper end models of scanners have their own slide holders. Like hot rod parts, each can be modified for your own use.
    upload_2022-6-23_9-40-51.png
    Here is something that popped up on Amazon as an additional component for smaller size negs and slides.
    upload_2022-6-23_9-41-39.png
    Here is an alternative to scanning. A light box can be used to put the color slides on top. Then take a digital camera on a downward angle, tripod to take a digital color photo of the lit up surface and slides. This is a lot less expensive, but still takes time and the results aren’t always as good as a true digital scanner. Then your photo program has to take over the process, too.
    upload_2022-6-23_9-42-25.png
    For you eagle eye folks, there is a scalloped car(s) way in the background of the car show photo, forget the displays in front of the slide. YRMV

4. LOWDUG37

LOWDUG37