Register now to get rid of these ads!

Incredible welds

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rusty f100, Oct 6, 2008.

1. jdustu

jdustu
    from Detroit

I haven't done a heck of a lot of sheet metal stuff, but I looked through some of my models and there were a few decent examples:)

I was really happy with the bike fender welds, even with the zinc cleaned of the washers are usually a pain in the butt to weld.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

-Josh

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
  2. mid-cal193

mid-cal193

one word "bitch'n"

3. Reverand Greg

Reverand Greg

In Atlanta it is Gwinnett Technical college.I wish I had some pics of some of my welds

4. JC_32

JC_32

What's going on with that burn trail?
    Is that from some weld on the other side?

5. Done by Blackboard Hotrod Shop/Gary Maxwel.

Attached Files:

6. burninbilly

burninbilly

i weld 3rd year apprentice,in my job experience,i was taught no whipping with the mig just burn it in no stopping or stacking like dimes

7. Throttlehead250

Throttlehead250
    from Houston TX

not to be a jerk or anything ethier, but who cares about 16 or 18 when you can weld the cutting edge of a razor together!!

not my work, but as a welder i have seen alot of these little competitions that the good guys have lol, like welding a soda can closed after drinking it

[​IMG]

8. conceptfab

conceptfab

9. conceptfab

conceptfab

Just kidding and I meant not as as thin as you can get. Just when people weld stuff thick pieces were used. I just want to see more of the thin stuff welded. It's harder as you said.

10. notrod13

notrod13
    from long beach

sellers really is the man!!

11. burninbilly

burninbilly

man some of these welds are amazing,,,,,boy i need to practice,never have done thin metal,

12. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

13. Humbled by all of you....Learning oxy acetylene welding with Henrob/Dillon torch...works excellent on light sheet metal patching. Have not seen a mention of it here...watched a live demo at BTT50's by Art [cant remember the last name] any way he cut a little piece out of a pop can and welded the pc back in !....welded cast iron manifold too, all with this great little torch...every shop should have one...has a unique cutting device that cuts like Plasma...Now its called a cobra...go check it out !
    WWW.COBRATORCHES.COM/7.html

14. paco

paco
    from Atlanta

As with anything ....... 1/2 plate or thin sheet metal ..... time & practice make the difference.

Whilst I worked at a construction fab company I DAILY welded .030 aluminum sheet & forms. Became very easy after a day or so ....... 90% of my welding is aluminum anyway. My background with GE don't hurt ....

Practice ... Pactice & when you think you got it ..... Practice some more!!

Paco

15. Lightning

Lightning
    from N. Nevada

I've been a certified mig/tig welder for over 40 yrs. and have taught some of my helpers a few tricks with tig and mig - with tig, try dipping your rod about 19 times a inch on steel and about half of that on aluminum - depending on rod size - with mig, just running it straight and not washing back[depends on the circumstances - whether its flat or down hill] but watch for the color of the silica that rises to the top of the weld - a light chocolate brown to a beiage color is what you want to see - meaning that you have your heat/wire speed and your travel speed are just about right - a dark or black color means a little hot/slow/slow - unfortunatly I have a ICD and can no longer weld - something I have always loved to do. Some say that thick compared to thin material is easy to weld, but thick is harder to weld do to the amount of penetration that you need for a correct weld[not a cold weld or a hot weld] and with the thin material it hard not to blow through,but with the new tig machines with all of their fine tunning capabilities and all the different size tungston,some so small in dia. that it looks like a needle, you can adjust your amperage down so far that it won't even melt a soda can or razor blade.

16. D-fens

D-fens
    from Huntsville

This kinda stuff is why I joined the H.A.M.B.

Took a TIG class earlier this year, but the school cancelled it summer semester, I was the only one to sign up. :mad: Maybe fall semester, don't know yet.

May blow up my credit card and get my own machine. Miller Syncro 200 machines are going for a little under 2K on eBay.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2009
  17. Rot'nRodder

Rot'nRodder

TIG weld dime rows on steel give me chubby

18. HOTTRODZZ

HOTTRODZZ

I found these Pic's - and I can't remember if I already posted em.

I think there pretty interesting,

.055 1018 CRS With a slight crown hammered in em.

One set of TIG welds.

One set of OnA welds.

Easy to see witch is witch.

( It was a Hammer forming weld smashin test )

Attached Files:

19. seatex

seatex

Wow! Freakin' Incredile............................

20. fasttimes

fasttimes
    from NC

Here are some pictures of Work done in my Shop. I mainly weld 4130 Chromoly and build racing headers from 304/321 Stainless, Titanium, & Inconel. The last picture is a support bracket that was Mig Welded. I do have to say though I do love my Inverter Tig Welder, Still own and use the Old Big Grey Lincoln 300 idealarc.

21. full house Mouse

full house Mouse

Thanks guys its fun to see how far I have to go in my welding and improve !

Last edited: Jun 7, 2009
  22. Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 7, 2009
  23. coreybrenner

coreybrenner

I'd love to see some fantastic Oxy/Acetylene welding! Stick, too!

24. mpls|cafe|racer

mpls|cafe|racer
    BANNED

It's all subjective.

25. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Fasttimes you win, lovely welds

26. dawg

dawg

With my machine (a brand new syncrowave) it happened no matter what I tried. I tried pulling the tungston straight out of the top, messed with the post flow, nothing seemed to help. After I got it back from the shop, I couldn't make it pit for anything. The only thing they did was hook my machine up to a load bank for about 6 hours at max amps. It must have had a loose connecton, or something might have been wet. Anyway, it cadallacs now. Try rolling the tungston out of the puddle away from the bead, as you back off the pedal. Keep playing with it, and you'll get it down. The secret to great looking welds, is having everything clean and using the proper heat, and practice practice practice...

27. Jeem

Jeem
    Alliance Vendor

Safety razors?

In the pic with the three examples of bike frames....One by Ericksen(SPL) another by someone else and the third by Specialized(bicycles)....Can I assume all those welds are quality but the first two are better? Seems like Specialized's weld lays on top more, maybe not as much penetration? Or can you really tell visually?

OH! BTW, beautiful work felluhs!

28. BAILEIGH INC

BAILEIGH INC
    Alliance Vendor

29. fasttimes

fasttimes
    from NC

Thanks Langy for the complement. Just making sure I keep my customers happy and also to the gents that took their time to help and teach me! I have worked with some very talented people from the Uk, not only welders but Clay Modellers. Your welds are outstanding as well.

Paul B

30. Awsome work in this thread!!!